PDA

View Full Version : Rounded off brake pad bolt

jarfly
10-27-2013, 01:11 PM
So there rounded off. all 4 of them. any ideals? its the allen head under the flat head screw. iv tried everthign!

jcs003
10-27-2013, 01:15 PM
take them to a machine shop to get them out.

john

Thumpin440ex
10-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Your going to have to have them drilled out or try it yourself( its a pita), then punch the pins out from the other side. More then likely going to cost you as much to have them removed as it will to buy some used calipers. You can always try to use the next size bigger allen wrench in a standard size to get in there.

John

Stickman400
10-27-2013, 08:30 PM
You might aswell buy a used set. I had the same issue when mine got seized up from creek water and mud and I couldn't get them to budge for nothing. Stuck it in a vice and added tons of heat and a long ratchet with an allen headed bit and it still wouldn't move. I had to buy a used caliper off ebay and throw the original one away. You could try taking it to a machine shop but it probably isn't worth the time or money over a used set.

jarfly
10-27-2013, 10:32 PM
So i'm prolly going to end up having to but another one. But I got a ideal today. That pin just holds the pad in line. I started to drill the old bolt out today (drill bit is crap picking new one up) and just rung a bolt and run it all the way thro. I know It aint the correct way but If I can get it good to ride for a bit i'd be happy.