PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Archery Shot

trailrider894
10-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Been hunting whitetails with bows for awhile now and had something very odd and kind bad happen today. I was walking to my stand which is about a 1/2 mile walk to it from the access road. I was skirting a ridge line and noticed a doe bein trailed by a buck in the field below that were gonna cut into my path so I stepped it out and intercepted them in the woods. I knocked an arrow as the does crested the hill and the buck followed shortly. He stopped at a decent quartering towards shot at about 35-40 yards. I drew and released by arrow, but something snapped in the woods behind him and he ducked and looked behind him just as I released and the arrow nails this dude in the head. I heard it hit him and he ran about 150 yds down the hill . I waited about an hour and hoofed it down the opposite side and away from the area in order not to spook him. I waited about 3 hours and walked out to go get my truck from where I left it on the access road close to where the deer ran and I could see my lumenok glowing from across the field, I spotlighted it and used my binoculars to find the arrow wasn't attached to a deer. I waited awhile longer and hit the arrow and found blood, I marked it and headed back out. Just wondering what you guys think about an arrow in the head... The blood trail leading away from the arrow was pretty full but bright red, I didn't follow it thinking this deer may require extra time to bleed out if he does. I am just questioning the fatality of the shot, obviously it was in-intentional and it would have been a clean shot had he not twitched.

trailrider894
10-26-2013, 10:24 PM
The arrow was broken, off about 4 inches from the bottom.

wilkin250r
10-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Where/how was the arrow broken again? Is the tip still in the deer?

The anatomy of a deer is likely similar to the anatomy of a human, in that head wounds are likely to bleed profusely, but it might not be enough to be a fatal shot.

jcv400ex
10-28-2013, 06:59 PM
If you hit him in the head and he didn't drop, I'd say he is going to take a day or two if at all to expire. They're tough!

DragonGunner
10-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Ya they are tough, seen where a big buck was killed by hunter.....had a muzzle loader ball in it that had healed along with buckshot, birdshot, a couple .22, a .30 cal bullet and a broad head lodged in its spine. Most likely some gun hunter will shoot this deer later in season and wonder why a bow hunter shot it in the head.