PDA

View Full Version : Donaldson Powercore on 400ex

Blackhawk7
10-24-2013, 02:18 PM
So, in my search of trying to find a dry-filter that can keep up with the demands of the ATV Community, I had first though about AEM... which I couldn't find one of their Brute Force filter's that would fit my 400ex. HOWEVER, I had the realization today that we could use a Donaldson PowerCore filter... these have been proven in the construction industry and worldwide as tough filters for tough conditions....

Just wanted to hear everyone elses input on this idea of mine. Here's a link to the filter that will fit on the intake flange, as for the airbox... I have yet to measure to see.

http://www.volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=83&ptype=f

beastlywarrior
10-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Huh I might run to summit tomorrow to look at them

Zakradu398
10-24-2013, 05:32 PM
I feel an oiled foam filter would catch a lot more dirt, not sure though.

jcs003
10-24-2013, 07:29 PM
its not an off road filter.

john

RNL
10-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Be interested to see what you guys find. So are you guys for sure trying it out?

Blackhawk7
10-24-2013, 10:43 PM
its not an off road filter.

john

Donaldson uses the powercore system for construction applications and is well respected in the construction field as being among the best. Also well regarded in the diesel industry. So they are built for dusty conditions.

I went home and measured the dimensions of my airbox roughly 6"x6"x6" and the only potential issue is the powercore is 7" long. Now I only measured the airbox in it's wide open area. Near the back it starts to slant upward so I may need to modify it, or try and squeeze it in. But first i've gotta pull her out and get some real measuring done. (Climbing over 3 quads and balancing on one while wearing dress clothes isn't the ideal conditions) lol

MtnEX
10-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Well, here is my opinion from having much experience with air filtration on equipment and atv's.....

I would not do this filter. It's an urban conditions filter, not an offroad filter!

Don't waste your $60 plus the cost of an adapter for the AEM dry filter. I have tested them in ATV intake projects and they FAILED horribly.

Most ATV applications have enough suction on the filter that an oiled foam filter is required to keep very fine dust like I expose them to out of the engine.

If you want to do a Donaldson conversion like I have also wanted to do for one ATV application I have, you will have to spring for their (or another brand's) complete canister air filter system for a universal application.

The canisters on my equipment work far better with far more protection and far less maintenance while having great flow. They are a round canister like you see on commercial equipment... diesel powered equipment, gas commercial mowers, etc. These are a canister with an intake that is like a roof vent and the round canister comes apart to reveal a DUAL filter element with a cyclonic mechanical prefilter as well and a duckbill drain valve. The first filter is a LARGE round paper style filter element and inside is a second core type element.

You would basically need to find on with a straight outlet to clamp the EX tube on... toss the whole airbox and snorkle and mount the canister somehow in it's place.... or you would need to toss it all and run a straight hose from it to the carb and see if it flows well enough. For this a man would really have to place the canister and then go find a radiator hose with some contour that will fit the carb and cut a workable section from it.

I have another ATV I would love to test this on (not the EX). But reconsider the above... it is not a cheap gamble on coming up with a successful combo. If it were I would have already done it to all 3 of my quads!

RNL
10-27-2013, 05:21 AM
I think it's cool that in 2013 we are still trying to find ways to modify and get more performance out of a quad that was introduced in 1999, and has remained unchanged motor wise for all these years. While most guys laugh at these quads now in a sea of 450's, and monster v twin utility's, there are some of us that still love these torquey and smooth motors that are pretty much flawless reliability wise.

Blackhawk7
11-20-2013, 03:12 PM
I think it's cool that in 2013 we are still trying to find ways to modify and get more performance out of a quad that was introduced in 1999, and has remained unchanged motor wise for all these years. While most guys laugh at these quads now in a sea of 450's, and monster v twin utility's, there are some of us that still love these torquey and smooth motors that are pretty much flawless reliability wise.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

by the way, I found a filter that will fit in the stock airbox... I'm going to test an Amsoil Ea filter (rebranded Donaldson Nano-fiber technology) with a prefilter on it and have a UOA completed to see. Considering what I saw in my intake tube when I had a K&N... no way it can be any worse than that. And people run those suckers saying "I never have any problems blah blah blah"

MtnEX
11-20-2013, 05:14 PM
It is about particulate size. A lot of us can't run a K&N filter period unless we want to rebuild our motor in short order.

I have not looked at the Amsoil Ea but can tell you every other filter on the market leaked dust no matter what the box said... except oiled foam. PERIOD.

Even the AEM filters that are supposed to filter to some crazy micron 99% efficiency... epic failure.