View Full Version : Useless research....Atvriders chapter

blacknblue#2
10-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Hey guys. Im had some a** time here lately. and with a** time comes boredom, with bordom comes what i call "Useless research". The last couple weeks Ive been researching atvriders. Ive been active on this name since 2006. I can remember lurking back in the day when it was EXriders. I remember the old members ride page that was categorized between 250X 300EX 250R 400EX. I know there are a few of the "Old Guys" still left. Maybe some of you old guys could add to my research. I have gathered that the site was started by a fellow named Leo Hickey so i will start there. Why did Leo give it up? Was he a racer or just a casual rider that wanted to start a page for his beloved 400EX? Wonder if he ever checks the site to see what its grown into? and most important wonder if he ever still rides? Then it appears it went to a fellow named Ben. It dont appear that Ben was involved real long? I could find out much at all about it. From what I can gather Harlen took it over from Ben. Harlen has built a great site. Not taking anything away from him at all cause he has done a fine job but it also helps that he took over the site at perfect timing. The quad sport boomed after Harlen took over which helped a bunch Im sure. I know 4punks was a big part of this site back when...I know he is still somewhat active but not sure if he still rides. I have also found that Rico was a huge part of the site at one time. I also know Rico went his own way and built a fine hangout, altho Ive never been able to find out what caused the split. Does anyone on here still stay in touch with some of the founding fathers of the site? I know this all seems like a bit of "Useless research" but its something i enjoy doing. I like knowing the story behind things and sometimes i have the time to just dive into a subject and trying to put the pieces of a story together.

chucked
10-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Ive been a member for over 10 years and I didnt know of most of the things you said. I knew harlen owns the site, but nothing else. I think I hated rico and left for awhile, he was gone when I started visiting again.

blacknblue#2
11-01-2013, 06:44 AM
From what Ive seen of Ricos old post i thought he woulda been the kind of person i could have had a good time with. He aint real active on his own site these days. I was hoping some old timers with some info woulda jumped in on this but guess not lol...Its crazy how much you can find on the search of this forum. Seemed like the first couple years the site was alive most of the guys knew eachother face to face as well.

chucked
11-01-2013, 07:44 AM
What site did he start?

ben300
11-01-2013, 11:10 AM
What site did he start?

QZ.com.....aka www.q***zone.com.......aka KWAD zone dot com

its mainly a atv XC site. as much as traffic is down here, it gets less (smaller site)...some guys from here post there as well....

2001400exrida
11-01-2013, 11:38 AM
yeah qz is almost all XC guys, good dudes though for sure. THere is great info on that site for trail racing enthusiasts. I know several of the members on this site face to face. I think it's a great community and offers a good spot for riders to get together and talk tech, racing, or riding sessions.

does anybody know if there are stickers available for the site? I'd love to put one on the quad.

trick450r
11-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Man, I remember rico from the 250r forums WAYYYYY back in the day (02'-03'?) before I even joined here, I also remember beerock from there, he posts here every now and again still.

I'm getting old, this sucks.

beastlywarrior
11-01-2013, 02:15 PM
yeah qz is almost all XC guys, good dudes though for sure. THere is great info on that site for trail racing enthusiasts. I know several of the members on this site face to face. I think it's a great community and offers a good spot for riders to get together and talk tech, racing, or riding sessions.

does anybody know if there are stickers available for the site? I'd love to put one on the quad.

I sent Rico a couple messages and got nothing, I did get some from laz though

woodsman250r
11-26-2013, 10:55 AM
I remember Beerock...had some sick 250R's. I sold him 3-4 quarts of Amsoil Dominator back in 04-05 after I parted out my 250R and got a 450R. I remember buying and selling tons of parts on here as well. I got into bikes around 2007 and parted ways with quads due to cost. There are tons of guys that ride in my area now, and almost all of them are on bikes. Its sad, but I don't think we will see sport quads be as popular as they were when the 450's came out. The economy tanking in 08' was the nail in the coffin for a lot of guys. Bikes are just cheaper and easier to maintain for the average Joe. Most other guys I use to race quads with feel the same way. I'm not going to say quads weren't fun or worth it, but bikes seem more practical now. The last local HS only had 12 bike entries and that was 2 weeks ago with perfect 60 degree weather. They used to average at least 50-60 quads. There were only 2 mx quads at the last MX we had at Crow Canyon last spring. This site has lost a ton of traffic as well. Its just another sign of the times for the quad industry. Hopefully it will rebound, but I think the ship has sailed for a lot of guys.