PDA

View Full Version : Quick valve adjustment question

Transmatic
10-21-2013, 07:25 AM
I adjusted my valves for the first time this weekend. I made sure I was TDC via the "T" indicator mark in crankcase. After putting everything back together and starting the distinctive ticking sound had worsened. I'm assuming I was 180 degrees off when I adjusted and was on the wrong stroke?

This may be a stupid question, but the exhaust valves are the 2 closest to the front of the bike and the intake the 2 valves closest to the rear end of the bike, correct? Just wanna make sure I do this the right way the 2nd time. Should be much quicker this time.

Zakradu398
10-21-2013, 07:39 AM
I adjusted my valves for the first time this weekend. I made sure I was TDC via the "T" indicator mark in crankcase. After putting everything back together and starting the distinctive ticking sound had worsened. I'm assuming I was 180 degrees off when I adjusted and was on the wrong stroke?

This may be a stupid question, but the exhaust valves are the 2 closest to the front of the bike and the intake the 2 valves closest to the rear end of the bike, correct? Just wanna make sure I do this the right way the 2nd time. Should be much quicker this time.

You are correct on valve locations, however, If it wasn't on the correct stroke I assumed you wouldn't be able to get a feeler in at least 1 side.

The TDC mark can sometimes be misleading also. There is a | with sideways "T" next to it.

2001400exrida
10-21-2013, 07:47 AM
setting the TDC is a bit tricky, sometimes it can be lined up but you really won't be at TDC. I'm thinking now you have the valves too loose. Try it again, if you don't hit the T mark, you keep goig the same direction until it comes back around. The way to tell if you're at TDC is when you can feel play in the rockers.

Zakradu398
10-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Good point there ^. My cam sprocket doesn't line up 100% with the case marks it suppost to when I'm at TDC.

Transmatic
10-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the tips, I'll give it another go tonight. I thought I was TDC b/c I could feel play in all 4 rocker arms.....but maybe I was just really off on my adjustment? Either way I'll give it another go and see what happens.

The exhaust valves are the ones closest to the front of the bike, correct? I can't imagine .001 will make a huge difference but want to ensure I'm adjusting the exhaust and intake valves properly.

2001400exrida
10-21-2013, 08:31 AM
you are correct, exhaust toward front, intake toward the carb.

Transmatic
10-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks man!

Transmatic
10-22-2013, 06:37 AM
I adjusted the valves again and took my time to ensure they were correct. Put everything back together but still getting that ticking noise. It's not as bad as it was before and I understand there is a certain amount of ticking that's considered to be normal but this still seems excessive. Could it be that I need to try yet again to ensure the valves are correct or does it sound like it could be another issue, like the cam chain tensioner? Or is it ok to ride like this? I'm hoping to get it at least rideable as this Saturday may be my last opprotunitity to ride for the rest of the year.

After I was done I started it up but it was hard to keep it goin without being on the throttle (it's always been like that) but was able to let it sit an idle for a little while without it dying. Almost sounds like its starved for fuel and wants to die out when in idle.

Here's a sound clip I took. I have no mods except an air filter that came on the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWYeVt4LLRY
Any reccomendations?

2001400exrida
10-22-2013, 06:45 AM
It's hard to tell in the video if that is excessive ticking or not, many people like to just say "oh they tick", but i'll be the first to say i've been able to run my 400's with hotcams and keep that tick very low. I've got a stage 2 in my 426 and it hardly ticks at all. Some tick is fine and it will be a little more tick than other machines, but if you feel it's excessive compared to the other 400's i would take a look into it.

bad cam chains, guides, or tensioners can cause a "tick" sound too. do you know if yours have ever been replaced?

Zakradu398
10-22-2013, 06:45 AM
I adjusted the valves again and took my time to ensure they were correct. Put everything back together but still getting that ticking noise. It's not as bad as it was before and I understand there is a certain amount of ticking that's considered to be normal but this still seems excessive. Could it be that I need to try yet again to ensure the valves are correct or does it sound like it could be another issue, like the cam chain tensioner? Or is it ok to ride like this? I'm hoping to get it at least rideable as this Saturday may be my last opprotunitity to ride for the rest of the year.

After I was done I started it up but it was hard to keep it goin without being on the throttle (it's always been like that) but was able to let it sit an idle for a little while without it dying. Almost sounds like its starved for fuel and wants to die out when in idle.

Here's a sound clip I took. I have no mods except an air filter that came on the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWYeVt4LLRY
Any reccomendations?

Sounds normal IMO. What is that nonsense I bolded??? ^^

As for jetting, put in a 42 pilot, and a 150 or 152 main.

Transmatic
10-22-2013, 09:34 AM
I will check the valves yet again, but I'm confident the gaps are right. I checked them all with a .005 and .006 to ensure the gaps were within .001 of the .004 for intake and .005 for exhaust and ensured I was on the rt stroke. I think it may sound worse b/c it idles kinda rough and they video seems to make it sound slightly worse than in person.

Is the general consensus that I would be ok to take her out for a ride Saturday? Are there any indicators that could alert me of bigger problems while riding? I just don't want to cause any damnage when I take it out this Saturday which will be my last ride for a while.

It's a 2007 and I don't believe anything has ever been done to the motor and I'm quite confident this was the first time the valves have been adjusted. The bike still has very few hours.

It was only 42 degrees here in Missouri last night and my quad was so hard to start i thought i was gonna kill the battery. Can I install a 42 pilot without doing anything more to make it easy to cold start? Or should I wait until later this winter when I install a slip on and do the main jet? Wasn't sure if you can do a 42 pilot jet only without doing anything else....seems like it wouldn't hurt anything.

Transmatic
10-22-2013, 09:40 AM
I plan to replace the cam chain and tensioner this winter. I'm just hoping riding on Saturday won't do any damnage or blow her up. I'm just a trail rider but I'm not sure if i'd be doing any damnage by riding for 4 or 5 hours in its current state. Opinions? I have no idea just how tough these machines truly are but figure some of you racing guys could tell me if I should be worries about riding as she is now.

Blodg
10-22-2013, 12:42 PM
More than likely you will be fine to ride it this weekend and probably a lot longer than that if you wanted. You can bump up the pilot jet without any other changes and it will help it with cold starting.

Transmatic
10-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Sounds good. I won't stress it so much now. Thanks for the feedback

Zakradu398
10-22-2013, 04:42 PM
When you do the cam chain get the '03? Crf450 cam chain, more heavy duty than stock.

Transmatic
10-22-2013, 04:51 PM
From all the reading I've done that seems to be the general consensus, the CRF450 chain, so i'll be sure to do that. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Blodg
10-22-2013, 07:29 PM
And to make the CRF cam chain even better it is cheaper than a 400EX cam chain as well as being more HD.