PDA

View Full Version : 01 ex shuts off after being started for a few mins. Carb? Or just cold?

slidehappy
10-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Hi I have a 01 that I will fire up and as soon as I let up off the throttle it will die. But if I start it like 3 or 4 times it will be good to go most the time.Does my carb need cleaning or just cold? And I feel like it runs a little hot once it is all warmed up. Let me know what you think. Thanks

OZ-T
10-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Has it sat for a good long while? These carbs get gummed up with gunk when they sit for extensive periods. Hondas are naturally cold blooded animals so stalling when cold isn't unusual. The running hot is because the carb is jetted quite lean from the factory, running thicker synthetic oil helps cool things down a bit if it's incinerating the hair on your legs while riding.

DragonGunner
10-17-2013, 05:09 AM
Welcome.......ya its cold, best thing I found was putting a 42 pilot jet in mine, sometimes you won't even need the choke. Running hot....? would need more info
on your airflow, lid on or off, pipe and what your main jet is....usually in winter the colder air is denser so they runner a little leaner, so a bigger main jet will help to
richen it up. Oil won't really matter because once oil gets hot, its going to stay that way. Just need to get it dialed in with your jetting and your good to go.

slidehappy
10-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Has it sat for a good long while? These carbs get gummed up with gunk when they sit for extensive periods. Hondas are naturally cold blooded animals so stalling when cold isn't unusual. The running hot is because the carb is jetted quite lean from the factory, running thicker synthetic oil helps cool things down a bit if it's incinerating the hair on your legs while riding.
I don't know to be honest. Just got it maybe 3 weeks ago. And my first 01 ex didn't stall out at all or run hot. But the thicker synthetic might be a good idea for sure

i973eat1
10-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Does it only die when it is on full choke? Mine runs really lean (check out the the thread that i have, its got a pic of the plug in it) and will not stay running when it is on full choke, if i start it on full choke, then move the choke lever about half way though, it will stay running.
Are there any performance upgrades on it?

MtnEX
10-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Could be jetting. Most likely cause.

Mine started doing this and getting worse at it as it got colder and then in the spring it did no improve. I could not tune it out and finally realize why... in my case it was a loss of COMPRESSION. Basically stone cold it had lost just enough compression that it would not run well. After starting enough times it would get heated up enough for a little expansion and then it was fine.

Time to freshen up for me.

KKiowaTJ
10-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda motor= cold blooded

Sounds like the carb needs cleaned and jetted proper. It too, Will cause the motor to run hot from the lean conditions. Oil is a band aid for that fix and it could bite you in the ***** if you run it that way to long. Id start with the carb and get it dialed in vs thicker oil. To each their own though, Good luck