PDA

View Full Version : GNCC Tires

Stickman400
10-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Has anyone ran these ITP GNCC tires? I'm thinking of buying them for rocky/rutted trail riding for the little extra ground clearance. This last weekend I went down to St. Joe State Park in Park Hills, MO and took my 450R with paddle tires since I thought it was mostly sand. Well after I got down there the half of the park that was mostly sand was shut down, they were digging big long drainage ditched for water to run off through. So I ended up riding a buddies 650 Rincon on the trails. The trails were a BLAST, even on a big heavy 4x4 I was racing through the trails keeping up with my friends that were on 400s and 450s, I felt like I was a Pro Utility Racer at a few times. I'd highly recommend going there if you are near it or are looking for a good park. Anyway after we got back I started thinking if I had my 400 down there it would have been perfect, except that trails were REALLY rocky in spots, and I don't have the greatest clearance with 20s. So I'm thinking of either getting 21" GNCCs, or getting some Houser Pro-Bounce nerf bars and some 22" Razr 2s (since my Pro-Armor nerfs I have now won't clear 22s). What do you guys think? Kinda leaning toward the Pro-Bounce nerfs and Razr 2s, mostly because of the nerfs, but also because I love my 20" Razr 2s. And that 1" of tire wouldn't make that big of a difference, and I've heard the tread rips off on those GNCCs.

KKiowaTJ
10-16-2013, 11:18 AM
I run the GNCC rears and mx6r fronts. I live with in reasonable distance to where you ride and the type of terrain. The only plug in my rear tire, Was from a dumb chit DNR throwing nails down on a trail. Other than that, Mild chunking and wear like iron. Ive got a chunk ripped from the sidewall and holds air perfect.
Only reason I wont run them this next time around is I have GBC Xrex 21"/20" to replace them and I got a set of them for the price of two GNCC rears +/-. I also didn't feel like paying for the razr price when I got the same thing for less than half. Im tired of paying for names when they don't get you any further down the trail.

400man
10-16-2013, 12:49 PM
I would suggest looking at the maxxis razr ballance and razr xc tires. I have the xc's and ive not gotten stuck anywhere. ive done two really muddy races this year and places where a lot of people were getting stuck I just dug right through. and the tread has held up awesome and doesn't have any chunking.

ive tried the itp gncc's and I wasn't too impressed. the knobs are big, but the edges round over very quick and I had problems with em leaking on the bead cause they got chewed up easy.

heres some old pics I found that might interest ya.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/Photo11251612_1.jpg (http://s417.photobucket.com/user/ky2stroker/media/Photo11251612_1.jpg.html)

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/ballancetires017.jpg (http://s417.photobucket.com/user/ky2stroker/media/ballancetires017.jpg.html)

Stickman400
10-16-2013, 02:09 PM
I would try the Razr Balance, but I'm needing the ground clearance, and they don't come in a 22".

Fix29
10-16-2013, 06:29 PM
I was just at St. Joe last month with my 400. I run 21" Razr2 fronts and 20" Razr XC rears and they were a great all around tire for the sand/rocky trails. I've had these tires on for about 6 months now and they all still look new, no leaks/plugs/etc. It is kind of a bummer that they have so much of the park shut down right now but it's still a blast riding there.

tbrackman84
10-16-2013, 06:39 PM
i had the itp gncc's front and back. The front ones are good i still have them on, but the back ones were junk. Just like 400man said they were always losing air. Now i have kenda klaw xc's on the rear and that suck even more! Gonna go with classic razrs or the new razr gncc's next time..

Drifterboy3
10-16-2013, 08:07 PM
I have holeshot xtrs 22" on my 400 they are great. Plenty of clearance mud and rocks. My cousin had gncc 20" and he loved those too

i973eat1
10-16-2013, 08:10 PM
I have ITP mudlites on the back of mine... 22/11-9, and I took it down to my property in Potosi, MO. I had plenty of ground clearance, and there are some very rocky trails there. I was surprised at how well they grabbed for them being on such a light bike. I would recommend them. Plus they are 6ply, which is nice.
A friend of mine has bazooka 20/11-9 and he was scraping on some things

CJM
10-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Buddy has the GNCC, its a light tire which is nice but very rounded and so far has worn pretty quick. I was greatly impressed by the razr2/gbc xrex I have been running, the old kenda klaws sucked compared to them. I dont get stuck ever, even in soft sand they shoot like crazy and can dig if Im not careful.

Stickman400
10-17-2013, 12:08 AM
I've got a set of 22" Mudlites on stock rims I bought awhile back for the local creek, but they only measure 20 1/2" so I won't gain any clearance, kinda pissed me off that they run that small compared to the actual size. And Fix29, did you hit trail 100 when you were there? The one that run around the whole park? We rode that right before we left and it was a blast, we were all pegged out going as fast as we could, even me on that big 650, and it was so much fun. Most fun I've had in awhile, wish I hadn't left my GoPro in the trailer. The little berms and jumps they have every now and then are perfect.

2001400exrida
10-17-2013, 08:28 AM
I ran a set of the xrex/xcmaster tires by gbc, they are a great tire with very good traction but will still allow some slide as well.

I currently have a set of the GNCC's on my 400ex and i absolutely love the tire. I"m not sure how wear goes, because i've only had about 5 trail rides on them, but they hookup good and don't feel like heavy tires like the holeshot HD's did.

Transmatic
10-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Any word on when they will reopen that section of the park?

I live just outside Columbia, MO and was looking to make my first trip to St. Joe State Park next weekend.

Stickman400
10-17-2013, 10:27 AM
I didn't ask, but it'll prolly be another couple weeks I would think. 2 or 3, maybe 4 at the most, but don't quote me on that. That was my first time down there, so I don't know how much was actually shut down, but my friend that had been there before said it was 1/2 the park (prolly exaggerating a bit). But it was most of the sand and some of the trails. There was still PLENTY of trails to keep you busy for a 2 day weekend though.

Transmatic
10-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm lookin forward to getting down there for a full day of riding. As long as I can get on a little sand I'll be happy.

Fix29
10-17-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that was the trail we were on towards the end of the day. My girlfriend rolled her Warrior over though and wasn't feeling so hot after that so that was about the time we went back and packed up. We are planning on going back down there on November 26th and riding for the day. We have 4 atv's going at the moment.

hondaracer44
10-17-2013, 07:46 PM
I had a set of ITP GNCC tires and they were junk they didn't have the best tred on them but still got stuck in stuff I shouldn't have any problem getting through. Got a set of razrs and I love them only got stuck once and that was my fault for trying to go through a swamp :blah:
Has anyone ran these ITP GNCC tires? I'm thinking of buying them for rocky/rutted trail riding for the little extra ground clearance. This last weekend I went down to St. Joe State Park in Park Hills, MO and took my 450R with paddle tires since I thought it was mostly sand. Well after I got down there the half of the park that was mostly sand was shut down, they were digging big long drainage ditched for water to run off through. So I ended up riding a buddies 650 Rincon on the trails. The trails were a BLAST, even on a big heavy 4x4 I was racing through the trails keeping up with my friends that were on 400s and 450s, I felt like I was a Pro Utility Racer at a few times. I'd highly recommend going there if you are near it or are looking for a good park. Anyway after we got back I started thinking if I had my 400 down there it would have been perfect, except that trails were REALLY rocky in spots, and I don't have the greatest clearance with 20s. So I'm thinking of either getting 21" GNCCs, or getting some Houser Pro-Bounce nerf bars and some 22" Razr 2s (since my Pro-Armor nerfs I have now won't clear 22s). What do you guys think? Kinda leaning toward the Pro-Bounce nerfs and Razr 2s, mostly because of the nerfs, but also because I love my 20" Razr 2s. And that 1" of tire wouldn't make that big of a difference, and I've heard the tread rips off on those GNCCs.

Stickman400
10-18-2013, 12:17 AM
The group I went with was talking about going again this year, but idk if it's gunna happen. I'll be sure to let you know if it does happen though. We can meet up and ride.

Transmatic
10-18-2013, 07:22 AM
I will most likely be there next Saturday, October 26th. That's if I can get my valves adjusted this weekend and put my rear end back together. Should be a nice time of year to ride out there.

Mtndew99
10-18-2013, 05:18 PM
I have 20/11/9 maxxis rzr xc on the back and I've never gotten stuck yet I made it thru some nasty stuff

Fix29
10-19-2013, 09:47 AM
The group I went with was talking about going again this year, but idk if it's gunna happen. I'll be sure to let you know if it does happen though. We can meet up and ride.

Sounds good Stickman

Stickman400
10-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Well I was gunna get the Razr 2s, but then I saw these in my Dirt Wheels magazine while I was flipping through it: http://www.dwtracing.com/products/tires/dwt%20tires/xcrv3 Same exact tire design but with a 12 ply rating? That's nuts. They may be a little heavy, but I don't think I'm gunna have a power issue. Don't think I'll ever have a flat or traction issue ever again with those.

MtnEX
10-29-2013, 10:51 PM
I did not take the time to read every response in this thread. But I do have a lot of ITP GNCC experience on my KFX450R race quad.

I made a massive mistake in my first purchase and want to point it out because my reviews are mirror opposite.

The first time around I bought the 20" rears. Nice and light and looked close in size. But when I mounted them they were more like say a 19" tire. I absolutely flipping hated all 4 tires over it. They got good forward bite in the rear... when they could reach solid ground... lol... and the fronts pushed like a plow. They really got too much forward bite and the rear was tight... did not want to slide except when I didn't want it to and they pushed the fronts bad. So I hated them all. I got high centered all the time anywhere there was only one line that would get dug out and high in the middle and some of that was being coupled with a low hanging skid. Just sucked. I got holes in them, plugged them. They wore very fast... blah blah...

On the other hand my team mate did the 21" rears with 22" fronts and had none of the problems I did.

I eventually put HD's back on the rear and liked it... and also realized the fronts were not as bad as I thought. It took a whole heck of a lot of stewing between 21" Knarly XC's and 21" GNCC rears... but somehow I talked myself into going GNCC and it was hard considering.

I have to say that I too love these tires and have had the same experience as my team mate. The handling is good, traction is awesome, clearance is great without the tippy feel... and I never get stuck anymore. They are towards an HD in the weight department and do change the final gearing.

I personally like at least a 20" tall rear tire. And I do not have a big preference between 21" and 22" on the front.

List of tires I like...

Big GNCC's
HD's
Holeshot XC fronts
Razr's
Razr 2's
Razr XC's
GBC's

I see a lot of Quadcross XC tires... undecided on trying them. Might be another shorter looking tire like the Razr XC but wide and deceiving on how they work.

Blodg
10-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the detailed review MtnEX, lots of good info there. I am trying to decide what my next tire will be. I don't race XC but that is basically the type of riding I do with going as fast as possible through the woods so that was an interesting read. I have even thought of trying a 22" tall rear tire for ground clearance but I know I will hate them in the corners and taking corners fast is a big part of what I do. One reason I blow away all my riding partners is blitzing the corners when the other guys who never raced are coasting into them.

I am pretty happy with the Holeshot XCR's I have on the EX but I don't see many people run them in XC so it makes me want to try something else.

beastlywarrior
10-30-2013, 01:19 PM
I hated 22s as well but when I was looking for tires for my warrior to replace the 21" gncc I just bit the bullet and got 22" xcmaster rears since the 20's only came to 19". So far I've been extremely happy with them and they handle extremely well, no tippy feeling at all

Blodg
10-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks beastlywarrior, do you know what those 22's actually measure?

beastlywarrior
10-30-2013, 08:25 PM
I believe it's about 21.5

MtnEX
10-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I sure learned to ask around for actual measurement size after the 19" actual 20x10-9 GNCC rears.

beastlywarrior
10-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I sure learned to ask around for actual measurement size after the 19" actual 20x10-9 GNCC rears.

I did the same thing, I didn't have them long