PDA

View Full Version : Master Cylinder swap

Threewits
10-13-2013, 02:32 PM
I need a new front master cylinder for my 400. I have seen dirt bike master cylinders on ATV's before, my question is if I replace the OEM cylinder with one from a dirt bike, will it push enough fluid to work both calipers properly?

Stickman400
10-13-2013, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't think it would since they only have a single line and caliper that isn't nearly as long as 2 lines with 2 calipers and the extra length of going down the stem and down the a-arms. Dirt bike masters are REALLY small compared to a quads just because of that reason.

Drifterboy3
10-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Why do you need a new one? They have rebuild kits for them. But if you are looking look for a 450 one. I got one for 50$ with an asv break away lever! Or cbr900s work and flow more volume

Threewits
10-14-2013, 03:53 AM
Mine works fine. But as with most of them, the tiny screws which hold the cap on have seized in the housing and completely stripped the grooves where the driver goes in to remove them. Going to attempt to drill the heads off but even after getting the cap off, I'm not expecting much luck with removing the stem. Where are you located? Is the ASV spring in good shape or dies it need rebuilding?

CJM
10-14-2013, 08:45 AM
hand impact driver and some wd40 does wonders. if you really screwed the pooch and drill them out there wil be plenty to grab with vise grips to get out. then get new screws and put anti-sieze on them.

Drifterboy3
10-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Sorry i didn't mean it was for sale. I was saying I got one off eBay and you should look there. I had the same problem I drilled the head off got the cap off then used a pair of vice grips to remove the "stud"

Threewits
10-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Impact driver is how I got mine so stripped. My pooch is sooooo screwed. I am still going to try drilling the heads because I have nothing to lose. I just really like the looks of the dirt bike masters, they look like the hydraulic clutch masters!

hand impact driver and some wd40 does wonders. if you really screwed the pooch and drill them out there wil be plenty to grab with vise grips to get out. then get new screws and put anti-sieze on them.

400man
10-15-2013, 01:01 AM
Impact driver is how I got mine so stripped. My pooch is sooooo screwed. I am still going to try drilling the heads because I have nothing to lose. I just really like the looks of the dirt bike masters, they look like the hydraulic clutch masters!

if you have a small flux core wire welder, you can try carefully welding a small nut on to the screw head and see if it will come out. ive done it before with mine.

but if all fails, id look for a 450 master cylinder.

ride red 14
10-15-2013, 05:20 AM
i used a dremel tool and ground the heads of the screws out. once you have them off, the cap will lift off and the remaining threads will back right out with a pair of pliers. i replaced mine with allen heads.

chronicsmoke
10-15-2013, 06:55 AM
we've done this recently on like 4 quads lol..

drill a small hole about 1/8" of an inch.. just enough to make a circular hole. Take a torqs bit around the same size and tap it into the freshly drilled hole and turn it out..

Replace screws after :rolleyes: