PDA

View Full Version : New parts, Worse outcome??

KKiowaTJ
10-12-2013, 04:05 PM
So i finally got around to installing a closet worth of parts I have been saving since I finally got a set of 450r fronts. I pulled the PB cable and added a block plate, Changed to a newer MSR AOF perch and a new oem Honda clutch cable.

My old was on its last adjustment and now the new cable and perch is just as far out and the cover side is the same. Only time I 'clutch up' is to ride on the rears or to keep rpms up in a tight turn. Is this a sign I need new fibers for the clutch? Or a new fiber/steel set?

I went back and fourth and cant seem to get it 'right' or I cant from bad clutches. Any advice would be great, Thanks

DragonGunner
10-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Well if your clutching like you said you probably have toasted your clutch fibers......your plates should be ok, just new fibers, soak them in oil before install.
However not being there and seeing your quad you may just need adjustment at clutch case with your cable...I have made adjustments there and if you have not
you should check that and take out any slack and adjust back at the perch then....I would try that first.

KKiowaTJ
10-13-2013, 10:20 AM
The cable on both ends are at last adjustment, Or I could have it screwed up which im going to have a friend check it to be sure. But it started a couple weeks ago before I added the new parts hoping it was the old cable causing the slip/lunge when lever flicked or 'clutched up'.
Im pretty sure its a self inflicted from the fact its my first 4 stroke and just now getting around to learning not to dump it or anything but shift.
It only has the slip when clutching and when you take off its getting worse every take off, Its either engaged or dis-engaged, No letting it out slow etc. Guess ill be ordering a clutch kit or at minimum fibers.
I also looked up 'what to check' etc so I figured id get what I need ready. I cant find any torque spec's for the 400 clutch, Most if not all say tighten in a star pattern until tight/snug, But not too firm. Nothing on the side case except make sure its clean of the old gasket, O-rings in place along with the dowels that line it up. The info is too vague and some came from a manual so im lost on how tight this or that is supposed to be.

KKiowaTJ
10-13-2013, 10:39 AM

Here is a couple pic's, If they show. When I got it and talking with PO, Most if not all is still factory parts. The clutch cable was the original lol.

But this is the only spot where I could get it to adjust to grab little past 1/2-2/3's to where it sits normally.

Drifterboy3
10-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Dumping the clutch wouldn't burn it up. You say the clutch is on or off. You may have developed grooves in your basket from dropping it.
As far as removal goes its pie
Tilt the quad up on its side I rest the handlebars on a cooler (make sure to turn your gas off)
Remove the 8mm bolts all around the outside
Remove the two 10mm oil line bolts
Use a rubber Malloy and tap around the case to help break the seal on it.
Remove the 5 10mm clutch spring bolts with springs
Remove the clutch plate
Simply pull up your old fibers and plates
Assembly is reverse

Notes
Soak the fibers for 30min to an hour in clean motor oil before installation.
You will notice that the plates have two different edges make sure they all go the same way
You don't need a specific torque for the clutch bolts but they should be firm and all close

Anything else I think you got.

KKiowaTJ
10-13-2013, 11:09 PM
I mean that there is no 'slipping' it anymore like it was, Running up the rpm and riding on the clutches. Mines is now to the point it is either in or it will drop right into gear. For along time I could dump it and get instant response, Now it has a rpm delay if that makes any sense. I hope the basket is alright, Bad enough I have to cheap out on the clutch this time around again because it hit at a bad time.
Just kinda pisses me off I finally got all the parts on and 'decent suspension' and out of the gate clutch slips and IMO its obvious it needs it plates/fibers from all the slack in a new oem Honda cable and perch. I hate riding on them that way too because it fills the motor with the rest of the crap until it finally 'go's'. I hope tusk got better and 'this' kit im most likely going to order fixes it and holds up, Fibers/steels only.

Drifterboy3
10-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Rpm delay? Like you let out on the clutch and it slows down?

KKiowaTJ
10-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Rpm delay? Like you let out on the clutch and it slows down?

Best was to describe it, I used to be able to lug down the road in 3-4 gear, Pull the clutch in, Run the rpm's up and dump it and it would pull right up, 5th too. Now when I go to do that, It has a two second delay and wont pull the front up. Just takes off. It wont hold the rpm and put it to the tires, There is something causing a delay/slip/?. With the adjustments like they are, Only thing I can think of is worn and thinned down clutch.

Drifterboy3
10-19-2013, 02:02 AM
Only thing I can think is a worn clutch. Check to make sure your intake tube is securely connected to your carb and carb to motor. I had that problem once the tube came undone and would wiggle cause the mirror to act a little weird. Other thing to check is your springs and make sure they are at the right length you may have good fibers and steels but if your springs arnt giving enough pressure it's isless

DragonGunner
10-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Best was to describe it, I used to be able to lug down the road in 3-4 gear, Pull the clutch in, Run the rpm's up and dump it and it would pull right up, 5th too. Now when I go to do that, It has a two second delay and wont pull the front up. Just takes off. It wont hold the rpm and put it to the tires, There is something causing a delay/slip/?. With the adjustments like they are, Only thing I can think of is worn and thinned down clutch.

What...? No offense...but.....your riding a 4 stroke, not a 2 stroke. I have never done this on 4 stroke. Why? Down shift, build up rpms and shift up to next gear. Why abuse your clutch like that?

KKiowaTJ
10-20-2013, 11:32 AM
What...? No offense...but.....your riding a 4 stroke, not a 2 stroke. I have never done this on 4 stroke. Why? Down shift, build up rpms and shift up to next gear. Why abuse your clutch like that?

I came from two strokes and still love to use the clutch to its full advantage. Reason I do so, The 400 has torque and no reason to run up the rpm's when I can dump it and ride it out at 3-4k. I know they are not supposed to be riddin like that, But im getting around to getting used too and how the four's work.

The clutch is whats the problem. I need new steel/fiber/spring kit. Lasted pretty long riding it hard like I do, I got two years out of the clutch. This time around im going to use more throttle and less clutch and see how I do on certain terrains.