PDA

View Full Version : Cheap way out of pivotbolt?

jarfly
10-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Idk if i'm the only one who things that bolt and bearings are a pile. Idk about you but I do not want to pay 40 bucks for a bolt! So the best I can come up with it's a 9/16 or a 14MM I have not yet took a mic to it yet. I have yet to find one at a parts or something like that. I'm sure I can find a bolt if not I will have a shop cut some thread on a pieace of stock. I know it has to be harden and all of that. But on the way home from school I got to thinking out side of the box. Why couldn't I use some bushings on it? got home today just digging in some junk and found 2 old bushings with sleaves that fit nice and snug. So why not use a pieace of some poly cut it to size be call good?

Honda5
10-09-2013, 04:29 AM
you should be able to get the bolt off ebay for $25

CJM
10-09-2013, 08:25 AM
You do realize the bolt is aluminum for a reason right? Its a bolt, yea it costs a bit but so what?

Remember buy once, cry once and do it right. Or cry again and again till you do it right. All the work to make some sorta other bolt fit..when in the meantime you spend the cash and have the one made for it. If you keep it lubed you wont ever have to worry about it again.

2001400exrida
10-09-2013, 10:20 AM
You do realize the bolt is aluminum for a reason right? Its a bolt, yea it costs a bit but so what?

Why's that? I think they should all be stainless. I purchased a stainless replacement and I think it's much better, comes right out the last 2 times i've had to pull it.

CJM
10-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Why's that? I think they should all be stainless. I purchased a stainless replacement and I think it's much better, comes right out the last 2 times i've had to pull it.

Stainless still rusts, but you knew that right?

chronicsmoke
10-09-2013, 11:04 AM
pretty sure I have a 450r bolt in mine! They are the same just the 450r bolt is hollow.. you can tap a grease fitting into it and drill some holes and be able to grease it while installed.

I've been meaning to do that myself just havent got around to it, lol..

2001400exrida
10-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Stainless still rusts, but you knew that right?

it does?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-doesnt-stainless-stee

CJM
10-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Googling it doesnt chage a thing dummy. Stainless rusts b/c its still steel, might not rust as easy but it still rusts. Go leave your silverwear in the ocean for awhile..it will rust.

Im surprised you didnt know this, your google-fu must be weak tard.

2001400exrida
10-09-2013, 11:56 AM
easy there buddy no need to call me a dummy, i'm not the one who says stainless steel is steel. There is a difference and stainless steel does not rust that is the whole point of it. it's steel with a high percentage of chromium, actually very similar to aluminum.

If stainless steel rusts then you had it in contact with regular steel. Stainless itself will not rust unless it comes in contact with other steel it is very highly corossion resistant.

CJM
10-09-2013, 12:30 PM
And what do you think those metal collars and bearings are made of smartass?

2001400exrida
10-09-2013, 01:26 PM
What's up with all the name calling, are we 12 year olds?

you said SS rusts, i said no it doesn't, posted a link with facts in it which you have ignored. poor quality SS will rust sure, because it's not real SS. end of story, not talking about what the metal collars and bearings are made of we all know those will rust as i've seen them bond to the ALUMINUM pivot bolt many times. I have had good luck with my SS bolt and i make a point to pull it out and lube it once a year. So far the SS pivot bolt had not made an attempt to rust to the collars which is more than i can say about what happened with the stock pivot bolt and the collars. I hope it's the fact that i maintain this once a year, but like i said in my experience i do prever the SS bolts.

81dasher81
10-09-2013, 01:50 PM
uh oh.. he called you a dummy.. i would take serious offence to it, because it probably means that you have no idea what youre talking about.. hahaha

youre right, exrida, cheaper grade stainless will rust because its basically mild steel plated in stainless.. very cheap, looks alright when taken care of, but still very cheap..

high grade stainless will not rust.

making a swing arm bolt out of aluminum is just asking for trouble. but i will agree that in the long run it will be much cheaper to buy a bolt than to have a machine shop make you one.

Ps. exrida, i couldnt agree more with your signature regarding the forum cronies.. hahaha

2001400exrida
10-09-2013, 02:06 PM
81dasher glad to see somebody with some sense :) old boy cjm has been here for a long time, he almost always offers great advice, but that doesn't mean anything that somebody else says is wrong. this forum is not as bad as some of the other ones that he frequents. He's got a group of guys that band together in order to cancel out any differing opinions. This needs to stop and I think a healthy debate without name calling is the key to good quality threads.

hopefully all the cronies don't all chime at his defense..... we're not trying to start a war, just want to discuss things freely and be open to different approaches without childish name calling.

wilkin250r
10-09-2013, 03:02 PM
this forum is not as bad as some of the other ones that he frequents. He's got a group of guys that band together in order to cancel out any differing opinions.

I'm currently trying to solve the issue, but you're not helping with comments like this.

CJM, 2001400exrida, I'm not asking you to stop. I'm telling you. This WILL stop.