PDA

View Full Version : 2011 yz450f possible hybrid build. Need help!

Codymc979
10-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Hey guys new to the forums here. I have rode quads and mx bikes most of my life. I decided this summer to get an mx bike again. I bought a brand new 2011 yz450f as a dealer left over. The bike now has 3 hours on it. Well after riding it, I've realized I'm much happier on a quad. The mx bike kills my knees. Now here's the dilemma, resale is terrible in my area right now if I sold the bike outright or of I traded it in. I've owners several yfz450s and two have been full ground up builds. I am also a certified welder and fabrication is not a problem. I have a shop with a tig machine and most metal working tools. My question is, is this a worthwhile mx build project? Which frame would you use? 250r geometry? Ltr? I would love a new Walsh but its out of the budget. Do you think I could make out alright selling the chassis of my dirtbike and keeping the power train? Sorry for all the questions, just looking for advice from some hybrid builders.

Logan #34's Dad
10-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Arguably the best handling chassis (on a budget) is the CanAm DS450....It is absolutley the lightest chassis. You throw that motor in and you'll be yanking holeshots... go to www.ds450hq.com and ask some questions...someone has done it by now.

jcs003
10-08-2013, 06:30 AM
trx250r geometry is by far the best handling chassis ever built. get a laegar, or LSR and throw that engine in there. there should be a few build threads in the archives.

john

Logan #34's Dad
10-08-2013, 06:36 AM
trx250r geometry is by far the best handling chassis ever built. get a laegar, or LSR and throw that engine in there. there should be a few build threads in the archives.

john
I totally agree with ya... just may be difficult to find a chassis and then parts if something breaks.

chopp124
10-09-2013, 05:56 PM
the can am is light and handles awesome however the frames twist when cornering and randomly crack. absolutely do not roll it cause your day is over something will snap. the 2011 yz450 motor is not easy to put in a chassis. i know someone who did it with a banshee. the reversed intake and exhaust is tought along with building a custom tank. but it can be done. i have a couple chassis if your interested.

trx/lt500r
10-12-2013, 10:23 PM
i have a lonestar yz450 chassis hanging in the garage. True yz from lonestar, no hack jobs. 04 or 05 nice shape, no cracks no bends. May be a possible option.
if you want pics PM me. I have no price, as it is decoration at the moment, may part with it. No front mounts, but would guess you would have to make your own anyway.
LMK

mr cow
10-14-2013, 04:35 PM
i have a laeger chassis with this motor fitted.. seriously fast ... you can buy a pre frabricated chassis to suit or bolt it into a yfz450r .. it fits

SlOoT
10-28-2013, 10:04 AM
How about a Cannondale ?

Those frames are build for a reversed engine design, they handle awesome and very strong frame.
Plus they are very cheap.

madskrillz2
10-28-2013, 04:53 PM
How about a Cannondale ?

Those frames are build for a reversed engine design, they handle awesome and very strong frame.
Plus they are very cheap.

Good luck finding parts.

Hey guys new to the forums here. I have rode quads and mx bikes most of my life. I decided this summer to get an mx bike again. I bought a brand new 2011 yz450f as a dealer left over. The bike now has 3 hours on it. Well after riding it, I've realized I'm much happier on a quad. The mx bike kills my knees. Now here's the dilemma, resale is terrible in my area right now if I sold the bike outright or of I traded it in. I've owners several yfz450s and two have been full ground up builds. I am also a certified welder and fabrication is not a problem. I have a shop with a tig machine and most metal working tools. My question is, is this a worthwhile mx build project? Which frame would you use? 250r geometry? Ltr? I would love a new Walsh but its out of the budget. Do you think I could make out alright selling the chassis of my dirtbike and keeping the power train? Sorry for all the questions, just looking for advice from some hybrid builders.

If you have the money, I would go with an LTR frame. If Walsh thinks it's the best setup that's usually a good sign it is. You really can't beat the handling of an LTR in my opinion. A 250r or 400ex would be your next best bet. Tons of parts to be found and handling that is just as good.
Can