PDA

View Full Version : Is it hard to replace a 400EX clutch?

OZ-T
10-06-2013, 10:53 PM
My clutch is on it's way out on my quad as it has developed a vibration at low RPMs about a month ago and I want to replace it because the vibration drives me crazy but I was wanting to know how difficult this would be if I were to do it myself? I don't have much experience working on motorcycle engines aside from changing the oil and would rather not pay a mechanic if I can avoid it. I am nervous though, last time I tried to DIY when I changed the bearing carrier I ended up screwing lots of things up. :ermm:

hondaREX
10-07-2013, 04:29 AM
If your nervous, and have messed up things while doing the bearing carrier, pay someone to do the clutch. Last thing you want is to mess up engine internals. With that being said, everything is relatively easy to do with the repair manual and it will be another learning experience. Take your time, read it twice, maybe 3 times in your case!! And ask questions here. If your going to keep your quad and dont want to lose your shirt paying others to do your work, you might as well start learning now or get out of the sport. Good luck.

chronicsmoke
10-07-2013, 07:42 AM
You can do it.. it's not to hard at all, just make sure you take your time and read the manual if you are second guessing anything!

Keep a clean area and keep track of bolts/parts that you are pulling off

CJM
10-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Rather simple. Hardest part is scrapping off the old gasket.

OZ-T
10-07-2013, 09:34 AM
If your nervous, and have messed up things while doing the bearing carrier, pay someone to do the clutch. Last thing you want is to mess up engine internals. With that being said, everything is relatively easy to do with the repair manual and it will be another learning experience. Take your time, read it twice, maybe 3 times in your case!! And ask questions here. If your going to keep your quad and dont want to lose your shirt paying others to do your work, you might as well start learning now or get out of the sport. Good luck.

Lol that'll never happen, I been doing this for 15 years now, will take it to the grave. Life wouldn't be complete without riding!

2001400exrida
10-07-2013, 12:10 PM
If you goofed up bearing carrier i would be cautious about doing the clutch. I"m not saying don't do it, but you might want to be sure you're ready before you go in there and possibly butcher something. Be sure to soak the clutch fibers in oil for 24hours before the install. Also, make sure you put the new ones in just as you took the old ones out. The Clutch hub bolts, make sure you don't over torque. Those bolts have a torque setting, but it's best to just stop turning them when they stop. THe go until they stop, once they stop. Don't try to tighten them anymore or they'll snap.

Blodg
10-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Also rough up the new steel clutch plates by swirling them around on concrete (of course then clean before installing). This is a simple job the only potential tricky parts are un-staking the clutch nut and holding the clutch basket while un-loosening the clutch nut. I have the tool to hold the clutch basket made by Tusk and it is cheap and worth the money. There rte other options to "wedge" the basket in place while loosening the nut and I have done them in the past but you are risking damage that way.

2001400exrida
10-07-2013, 03:00 PM
yes, use a good tool or have a good method like blodg said. I tried the long screwdriver to hold it while i was loosening the nut and learned the hard way that the old tusk vis grip looking tool is the way to go if you dont want to risk antyhing.

400man
10-07-2013, 10:11 PM
yes, use a good tool or have a good method like blodg said. I tried the long screwdriver to hold it while i was loosening the nut and learned the hard way that the old tusk vis grip looking tool is the way to go if you dont want to risk antyhing.

i made my own tool using some extra old steel clutch plates and a piece of rebar, just welded 3 or 4 plates together and used the rebar as a handle

2001400exrida
10-08-2013, 06:47 AM
^^great idea!

400man
10-10-2013, 09:34 AM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/018_zpsade2dd84.jpg (http://s417.photobucket.com/user/ky2stroker/media/018_zpsade2dd84.jpg.html)

heres my tool I made. the rebar piece goes in between the fingers on the clutch basket and you just take a impact gun and zip the clutch nut off

2001400exrida
10-10-2013, 09:44 AM
thanks for sharing, that looks like it would work better than the clutch holder tool in my opinion. I'm making one of these!