PDA

View Full Version : Any Tip's?

KKiowaTJ
10-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Finally got ahold of a set of 450r front shocks for my 00' 400. Ive read the stickys about what and where to grind, And somewhat of adjustment. Im going to run them the rest of the fall/winter as is so I was curious whats the best settings/pre-load for all around riding, MX to pavement? That and fitment on the quads, Is it still pretty straight forward 1/8" off the top and as needed in back?

Any advice would be great about what to expect on a 400 etc. I read the are longer? Mixed opinions but I didn't like the way the YZF 450's eye looked after fitment. Thanks for any tips and advice

hondaREX
10-04-2013, 02:18 AM
I have them on my EX. Adjusted all the way down. I do like them better than stockers. Def a little stiff but not a huge deal. I hope to get them rebuit someday,and glad to hear JET suspension is back. There conversion are nice. I did the shock modifications, not the bolt/nut removal. I dont see any issues with grinding the shock, but i only trail ride. Maybe MX or dune jumping could show a different result. Put them on and see what you think. Good luck.

CJM
10-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Remove 1/16" of the shock mount on the frame, knock the nut off the underside and use carriage bolts to put the plastics on. Grinding the shock is ok too but you will gotta take a bit off the frame anyways. Also good you modify the frame slightly as if you ever go to sell the shocks everyone will run away from them.

They are SUPER stiff btw, I ran mine with no preload at all and pretty much no matter where i put the rebound or compression they were a bit stiff. But they are 10x better than stock. If you could get the coil off, cutting a coil or two off of them I always thought would soften them a bit and lower the front down alot.

JOHNDOE83
10-04-2013, 05:10 PM
I dont know how reliable the source was, but its my understanding that a 450r shock will work 100 times better if the coil gets removed and a 400ex coil gets put on.

KKiowaTJ
10-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Remove 1/16" of the shock mount on the frame, knock the nut off the underside and use carriage bolts to put the plastics on. Grinding the shock is ok too but you will gotta take a bit off the frame anyways. Also good you modify the frame slightly as if you ever go to sell the shocks everyone will run away from them.

They are SUPER stiff btw, I ran mine with no preload at all and pretty much no matter where i put the rebound or compression they were a bit stiff. But they are 10x better than stock. If you could get the coil off, cutting a coil or two off of them I always thought would soften them a bit and lower the front down alot.

Well I ended up taking a bit off the frame and shocks. If I was to ever sell it, Id let them go with. Reason being, You aint ****tin they are stiff. The rings are at the top most point and played with the knobs a bit before dark. The bottoms are more to the H and tops I didn't get to messing with.
But I do like them better than the pogo's. Mine didn't have any ride height effect? I run 20" front and rears so that maybe? But next to each other was the only difference. Only thing that has me concerned now is the soft rear lol.

I dont know how reliable the source was, but its my understanding that a 450r shock will work 100 times better if the coil gets removed and a 400ex coil gets put on.

I was thinking about cutting a coil off or the 400 spring and see what that netted. Soon as I pulled out to test ride I knew they were stiffer. But something will be in the works for a softer damper.

Thanks for the tips, I didn't get the reply to not cut/grind until we had one done and almost bolted lmfao. I was like *****, Bolts galore in my dads shop and all the tools to do it. But they are on and im happier for now lol. Next purchase= straight/new axle lol.