PDA

View Full Version : Some help with my quad

Transmatic
10-02-2013, 09:16 AM
I bought my quad early this year, a 2007 400ex. It has no mods except an K&N air filter which was on it when I purchased it. The bike has very few hours on it but it's been a bit of a headache for me. I got a bit crazy and ended up rolling it in May. Had to replace the front right tie rod and wheel which were both bent along with a new set of handle bars. No biggie. Now my rear bearing carrier needs to be replaced. I have a new stock bearing carrier to use. Would I be better off in the long run to replace it with a twin row bearing carrier w/ grease fitting?

My second issue. Ever since I bought the bike there is a very distinctive, yet not overpowering, ticking noise when the motor is running (that's the best I can describe it). I know the original owner never did any motor work and I haven't touched the motor. Is this a good indicator that the valves need to be adjusted?

I'm good with a wrench but still learning about this machine. I haven't ridden in 3 months. I got the old bearing carrier out last night....getting the axel nut off was a B*TCH! it wouldn't break loose for nothing. Any tips on re-installing as I've read the axel nuts are notorious for coming loose after first time taking it off and putting it back on.

If I need to adjust my valves I want to do so now while my bike is still down. I've just now gotten the time to fix all this (have a 1 year old) so I'm ready to get it done and get back on the trails. Any tips are much appreciated.

CJM
10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Valve adjustment (http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html) the valves all tap on these things.

Stock carrier is fine, twin row is of course better but either works well. Do the bearings themselves need to be replaced or the carrier is so messed up that the bearings disintegrated and messed it up? Bearings can be replaced, if you can get them out you can find the numbers on them and go to an auto supply and buy tghem cheaper or get them right from honda.

Transmatic
10-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Valve adjustment (http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html) the valves all tap on these things.

Stock carrier is fine, twin row is of course better but either works well. Do the bearings themselves need to be replaced or the carrier is so messed up that the bearings disintegrated and messed it up? Bearings can be replaced, if you can get them out you can find the numbers on them and go to an auto supply and buy tghem cheaper or get them right from honda.

Thanks for the direct link. I remember seeing that a while back but had forgotten about it. I will def use as my guide to get that done.

I completely cracked the carrier. I had tightened my chain early in the morning on July 4th. Later in the day I heard an awful noise and realized the bearing carrier was making contact with the inside of the sprocket. That's why the carrier cracked. Maybe I'll just go ahead and use the new stock carrier I have but I guess I'll need to buy new bearings for it. I'm trying to do this the most cost effective way possible. So if I don't need to spend $100 on a better carrier I won't.

I got so frustrated with this bike I was considering fixing it and selling it. But then I realized, all the problems I've had with it are a result of user error. So now I just want to get it all fixed so I can ride again!

KKiowaTJ
10-02-2013, 09:57 AM
I wasted money on bearings to rebuild mine. Two weeks later I had a lone star duel bearing one in the rear and no problems since. On ebay I spent a whole $130 to the door and I wasted $50+/- with the OEM **** part. That and IMO they fit better. Either way, When you get it back together and the axle is tight, Wrap electrical tape around the lock/jam nut. Works better than any anti fade nut and you can tell if it is loosening from the twist in the tape. To each their own, Good luck either way

Transmatic
10-02-2013, 10:13 AM
I wasted money on bearings to rebuild mine. Two weeks later I had a lone star duel bearing one in the rear and no problems since. On ebay I spent a whole $130 to the door and I wasted $50+/- with the OEM **** part. That and IMO they fit better. Either way, When you get it back together and the axle is tight, Wrap electrical tape around the lock/jam nut. Works better than any anti fade nut and you can tell if it is loosening from the twist in the tape. To each their own, Good luck either way

The electrical tape sounds like a clever idea, I'll give that a try!

Any suggestions for new axel bearings? The OEM bearing carrier I have is slightly used, but in fantastic condition. Since it's not an absolute must, I think I'll use it before purchasing a more expensive dual row carrier.

Zakradu398
10-02-2013, 11:24 AM
The electrical tape sounds like a clever idea, I'll give that a try!

Any suggestions for new axel bearings? The OEM bearing carrier I have is slightly used, but in fantastic condition. Since it's not an absolute must, I think I'll use it before purchasing a more expensive dual row carrier.

Didn't you say you cracked it?

Transmatic
10-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Didn't you say you cracked it?

I cracked the bearing carrier that I just removed from my quad. I have another OEM bearing carrier that I bought which is in almost new condition. I suppose it would be best to buy new bearings to place in the "like new" OEM carrier I'm getting ready to install?

Zakradu398
10-02-2013, 12:42 PM
I cracked the bearing carrier that I just removed from my quad. I have another OEM bearing carrier that I bought which is in almost new condition. I suppose it would be best to buy new bearings to place in the "like new" OEM carrier I'm getting ready to install?

If they are good run them, if not just get a double row. The no name 6061 billet double rows on ebay arent too expensive.

Transmatic
10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
If they are good run them, if not just get a double row. The no name 6061 billet double rows on ebay arent too expensive.

So you're suggesting getting a whole new bearing carrier rather than putting new bearings in the "like new" OEM carrier that I've already purchased? I realize a $100 bearing carrier might last longer than the stock, but it won't hurt using the OEM carrier with new bearings, will it?

Edit: I don't know if the bearings that are in the old carrier are any good or not, I did not remove them. The carrier was cracked on the outside after the sprocket rubbed against it.

Zakradu398
10-02-2013, 02:00 PM
So you're suggesting getting a whole new bearing carrier rather than putting new bearings in the "like new" OEM carrier that I've already purchased? I realize a $100 bearing carrier might last longer than the stock, but it won't hurt using the OEM carrier with new bearings, will it?

Edit: I don't know if the bearings that are in the old carrier are any good or not, I did not remove them. The carrier was cracked on the outside after the sprocket rubbed against it.

You'll spend more replacing stock bearings than you will on the carrier that comes with double rows in it. That's the way I look at it .

2001400exrida
10-02-2013, 02:18 PM
You'll spend more replacing stock bearings than you will on the carrier that comes with double rows in it. That's the way I look at it .

how do you figure?

this guy can get bearings for like $20, in fact i have some i'll send you transmatic, send me a pm i've got brand new 400ex bearings and seels for a stock carrier. I have the stock carrier on all my machines and have replaced bearings in all of them. IF the carrier is cracked trash it, but if you have a good oem carrier there's no reason you can't put some new oem bearings in there for a quarter of the cost.

Transmatic
10-02-2013, 03:02 PM
how do you figure?

this guy can get bearings for like $20, in fact i have some i'll send you transmatic, send me a pm i've got brand new 400ex bearings and seels for a stock carrier. I have the stock carrier on all my machines and have replaced bearings in all of them. IF the carrier is cracked trash it, but if you have a good oem carrier there's no reason you can't put some new oem bearings in there for a quarter of the cost.

I sent you a PM. Like you said, I've found bearings online for about 25% of what another carrier cost. Plus, as mentioned previously, I have a "like new" carrier that I can use to replace my existing cracked carrier.

Transmatic
10-03-2013, 07:28 AM
17181053351718105336When I got home last night I looked at the new bearing carrier I'm going to install. I hadn't noticed before but the bearings are in this one. There is a small gap that you can see in pic 2, but it appears to be ready to go (once I get it all cleaned up). Can someone confirm by these pictures that this bearing carrier is ready to install?

KKiowaTJ
10-03-2013, 08:56 AM
You're pic's don't work,
I would assume that the 'good' one needs bearings too or it would still be in a quad. But as long as the bearings are pressed in and functional/roll smooth and the seals are fine, Try it. Keep track of the 3 O-rings that go to the stock carrier as well through the swinger.
That or just wait for the bearings or buy a new duel and be done with it. If that set is bad, You just wasted that much more time and you still have to remove it all again to install bearings. I see this part as tripping over a dollar to pick up a dime, Yeah it might cost ya only a few $$ for bearings, But in the long run you will be installing a better carrier and duel row anyway.
Make sure the areas are clean and hope the other bearings are decent. Good luck

chronicsmoke
10-03-2013, 09:14 AM
I cycle between a cheap dual row carrier (RAD Brand I think) and the stock carrier in my 450r and the only difference is the RAD has (expensive & hard to find) dual row bearings from a AC compresser of an S-10 and the honda bearings are easy to find in a kit.

They last about a year or so before either set goes out. If the carrier is still good, then I would also re-use it and save that coin on some later mods.. Start changing your bearings before they are COMPLETLY shot and it's very easy... if you wait and half destroy the carrier and blow the inner races out then you're in for a treat.

2001400exrida
10-03-2013, 09:30 AM
450r carrier has a dual row on one side and a single row on the brake side, so i think that setup is just as good as true dual row. On my 400's i've never had any problem with the single row carriers. I tend to replace the bearings about once a year anyway though. IF you plan to get years out of them maybe dual row will alst a little longer, but i feel once i get the smallest amount of play it's time to replace.

KKiowaTJ
10-03-2013, 09:44 AM
For all the money I have dumped into my quads and bikes through the years, I have found it much easier to just spend the extra few $$ and have a drop in ready duel carrier. They will outlast oem and in the mean time you can get a set of bearing and seals cheap, Put them in and have a back up carrier. IMO a $100 bucks for a part that will drop in and out last oem, Is a drop in the hat and a no brainer to me.

2001400exrida
10-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Yeah, i guess it's a matter of opinion. I don't mind doing work, so $25 and a couple hours, i'll install new bearings, then spend the extra $75 on something else. My time is nothing because i actually enjoy doing maintenance on my own machines so i don't feel like i'm doing work. I have yet to find out which carrier lasts longer. I just put new bearings in my 450 this past year and it had the stock ones in it still. I know i had a season on them, but the person before me had some ride time as well.

chronicsmoke
10-03-2013, 10:19 AM
since we're on the subject.. I swapped the 450r rear end on my EX I have this left over if anyone is interested.. (400ex twin row carrier..)

http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?496162-400ex-Parts-(Carrier-Bumper-Pegs)

http://imageshack.us/a/img191/6408/img2133s.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/3553/img2130xq.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img833/6425/img2132i.jpg

Transmatic
10-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to put some new bearings in the stock carrier that I have to replace the cracked carrier.

I'm going to adjust the valves next week. When I bought this quad I could tell it didn’t have a lot of hours on it, however only basic maintenance had been done (oil changes, clean air filter, etc) so besides adjusting the valves are there any other areas I should give special attention to that may need a little tune up? I want this thing to last forever.