PDA

View Full Version : DIY shock revalve

Drifterboy3
09-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Hey guys I currently have an extra shock that is blown. So given that I race xc I would like a little better than stock but not wanting to buy another shock or pay to have this rebuilt. So my question is how hard is rebuilding one? I have done a few sets of forks on bikes and dirtrider magazine recently had a write up on rebuilding but is there anywhere I can get different valves from? I'm a 220 rider with GTT xc linkage. Any advice guys?

P.s. I have a buddy at a tire store to care of the nitrogen charge.

400man
10-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Id say call gt thunder, and get the parts or whatever you need from them?

Zakradu398
10-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Subbd

chronicsmoke
10-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Hey guys I currently have an extra shock that is blown. So given that I race xc I would like a little better than stock but not wanting to buy another shock or pay to have this rebuilt. So my question is how hard is rebuilding one? I have done a few sets of forks on bikes and dirtrider magazine recently had a write up on rebuilding but is there anywhere I can get different valves from? I'm a 220 rider with GTT xc linkage. Any advice guys?

P.s. I have a buddy at a tire store to care of the nitrogen charge.

I've been pondering getting into this a little too.. I think the most important thing is to get the proper tools.

dustin_j around here knows his stuff on suspension, maybe he'll chime in

ben300
10-01-2013, 06:25 AM
here's the link to GTT's page. you can basically order everything you need directly from them (valves, springs, bumpers). The only thing i dont see on their site that you would need to do a complete shock is the things that separate the springs.

http://www.gtthunder.com/SuspensionHome.htm

Laz charges $175 PER SHOCK for the valves. so, honeslty to get teh best performance out of your shock, you would need to do a respring as well and springs, depending on combo are over $100 per shock or you can buy the kit for two for $225.

sooooooooooooo, if you wanted to do them on your own, you looking at $575 without seals and bumpers and what not....you'd honeslty be better off just having last do them at $395 complete for two fronts. thas a rebuild, revalve, respring, bumpers, and set up for you...

here's some other places you can order valves and springs
http://www.racetech.com/page/id/134
http://www.hygearsuspension.com/ATV.html

Drifterboy3
10-01-2013, 10:35 AM
My fronts are fine for now. And I put a call into them waiting for them to call back. In the mean time I decided to pull it apart myself

Drifterboy3
10-01-2013, 10:38 AM
I've been pondering getting into this a little too.. I think the most important thing is to get the proper tools.

dustin_j around here knows his stuff on suspension, maybe he'll chime in

Hey I just got my spring off super easy. Back the up preload nut completely off the threads. Back the lower but as far as it will go at this point there will be play in the spring turn the shock upside down and you will see two semi circles gently pry out with a flathead screw driver (I say pry because you can't get fingers in there) and pull them out. Then everything slides down off the end. Ill post more as I get farther.

chronicsmoke
10-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Awesome I thought you'd need a spring compressor for sure..

Take some pics and post them up too, I don't recall a "rebuild your own suspension" thread :macho

2001400exrida
10-01-2013, 12:05 PM
I've done springs, they're easy, like mentioned, but the valving is something i'm not familiar with.

400man
10-01-2013, 12:52 PM
yea post up some pics!!! id like to see what exactly is inside the shock body.

ben300
10-01-2013, 01:09 PM
GTT's youtube channel has videos on how to disassemble and reassemble 450r and yfz shocks

81dasher81
10-01-2013, 01:33 PM
im assuming youre going for a softer ride? you can do that both with valves or also by using a lighter weight (lower viscosity) oil.

Stickman400
10-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Here's Dustin's business email, you should get a response pretty quickly unless he's busy. He knows his stuff when it comes to suspension. knightsuspension@gmail.com

D Bergstrom
10-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Rebuilding a shock isn't to bad, it is the revalving part that is complicated. Best bet if you want to learn how to revalve, buy a Race Tech Gold valve kit. I used gold valves about 10 years ago on my old CRF450 and CR500, learned ALOT about how suspension works. Most shocks nowadays use a piston and shim stack setup. Pretty easy to work on, but you have to know what shims to use to get the desired results while revalving. Shim can vary by diameter and thickness, and if you don't understand it, you can't really make a change for the better. The Gold Valve kits are pretty good, even include a video that walks you through it. Plus you can go on their website and you can input all you info and they will give you recommendations regarding the shim stack and spring rates. If you really want to learn about how suspension works, the $170 so price for the kit is well worth it.

Doug

Drifterboy3
10-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Alright guys since chronicsmoke pointed out there not being rebuilding your suspension thread I will start one tomorrow! Ill get some pics tonight and a parts list together. For the record it's really easy if any of you have done forks on a bike it's close. And as far as tools common hand tools. Maybe it'll be my first sticky?

chronicsmoke
10-02-2013, 05:54 AM
Alright guys since chronicsmoke pointed out there not being rebuilding your suspension thread I will start one tomorrow! Ill get some pics tonight and a parts list together. For the record it's really easy if any of you have done forks on a bike it's close. And as far as tools common hand tools. Maybe it'll be my first sticky?

Are you re-doing the YFZ shocks? I want to set mine up on my raptor better for XC.. I was just going to have them built but this could be an interesting project :macho

GTT's youtube channel has videos on how to disassemble and reassemble 450r and yfz shocks

Sweet that's perfect.. I didn't know that, I'll have to check it out for sure.

Drifterboy3
10-02-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm doing the stock rear. However I have yfz fronts I will do next.