PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild issues?

Drifterboy3
09-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Hey guys I just rebuilt my 400 all went good till I went to break it in. In about 5minutes I had oil coming From my valve gasket and jug gasket? I torqued my jug down to 33ftlbs as like my manual said and also by the manual for my valve cover. I used a cosmetic gasket set. All of it was a stainless steel set. Can somebody give me insite I have heard 50/50 things about cosmetic but went with them since that was the only option at my shop. Should I torque down tighter?

Ps I noticed my rev limiter is much "faster" now it sounds like a 450 vs before it was fairly slow?
Could this be because I went from a composite gasket to a triple layer stainless?

powderider87
09-29-2013, 08:36 PM
There are three long bolts that hold the valve cover on and help with the seal between the jug and head. They break easily or strip out if tightened too much, are they still good? I broke two of the long bolts but thought i would be fine till i started it up and had oil coming between the jug and head...

CJM
09-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Cometic doesnt usually leak but it does happen.

33 ft-lbs for the jug and all of the 8mm head bolts get torqued down by hand with a 1/4 drive ratchet. Dont over tighten them!

Drifterboy3
09-29-2013, 08:51 PM
1/2 of those long bolt were broken. But they were broken before the rebuild when I had moose racing gaskets and those held

CJM
09-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Chances are its going to leak if they are broken, your lucky they didnt leak before.

About all you can do is take it apart and either helicoil, tap to the next size (1/4" is actually just slightly larger than 6mm), try to remove the broken bolts (if they are stuck in there) or such.

Drifterboy3
09-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Alright. So any idea as to why the jug would be leaking?

DragonGunner
09-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Alright. So any idea as to why the jug would be leaking?

Not properly cleaned.....or did not criss cross when torquing down, or did not torque down criss cross about 10 ft. pounds at a time until all were down to 33.

Or your head has some warpage and may need plained.....just some possibilities....

Drifterboy3
09-30-2013, 11:47 PM
It was jug to case leaking I think I'm going to pull apart and go back to moose and probably go ahead and take care of my stripped bolt problem