PDA

View Full Version : trail racing suggestions 400ex

400exrich
09-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Hey I have a 02 honda 400ex with a full yoshimura exhuast a k&n air filter razr 2 fronts and razr rears I also got full pro armor skid plates and a pro armor xc bumper and a chain and sproket kit 15 tooth front and a 36 rear and a upgraded oil tank and ac nerf bars. I want to ask you guys if u can give me any tips like shocks, rims , tire set up and a suggestion for better brakes I'm trying to make it faster then my friends other 400exs I want to put a stage 2 cam in to give it some more mid range but not boreing it just any suggestions thanks and I am ording a steering stabilzer

KKiowaTJ
09-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Id get a XR400 cam and head gasket with a 02' IIRC CRF450 timing chain motor wise unless it needs new valves etc. It will bump you up on compression and have a better curve. Id keep the 400 carb and just dial in the jets and skip a 450r carb swap.
Get a set of 450r shocks, Best bang I have seen looking myself. The shocks will work as is from what I have read, But having the correct spring and valves is as good as it gets unless high$$.
My OEM wheels outlasted any aftermarket, But beadlocks or baja's, Something stiff.
Its really up to you or just see what others are using. Thats the best bet all around, Find out what you are racing against and go from there. IMO get a good suspension vs. motor, The more stable and plush you ride is, Faster you can go. If you build a motor and the go to the chassis, You will be back to the motor guy a second time. To each their own, Good luck

Drifterboy3
09-25-2013, 09:52 PM
I believe 450 front shocks have to be ground down at the top mount location. I could be wrong. Yfz 450 shocks will also work but they need to be ground down for sure. You can go to a high comp piston for more power with no bore I run an 11:1 on 93 octane pump gas just fine. Any higher you will need at least a 50:50 mix of pump and race fuel. Anything else is pretty much up to you. Flexx bars add comfort so you can ride harder longer. But come at quite a price precision racing has an anti vibe clamp you can get same idea but about $100 less. What ever shocks you go dial them back so the are soft. You can also do the same to your rear. As far as brakes yfz450 calipers bolt up on the front and try are dual piston. Maybe get a set of braided stainless steel brake lines and you will be golden. In the rear run a SS brake like and that's good enough.

jcs003
09-26-2013, 05:27 AM
call Laz at GT thunder and he will get your suspension where it is needed for XC application.

john

2001400exrida
09-26-2013, 05:33 AM
I would change your gearing too seems too tall for woods racing.

LxMxL97
10-03-2013, 05:44 AM
A good set of hand guards with bark busters are really nice and I the track your racing is really muddy I would get some of those hand guard covers that are for the cold weather they will keep your hands dry a gripper seat cover as for front shocks it's more preference because pep elka tcs hls fox works they all make good shocks just a different prices If you can fine a set of stage 1 elkas for cheap I recommend getting them and having some external resivours put on them and get them revaled for your weight I got that done for about $260 as for wheels Douglas bead locks are good hipers are probably the best and another good wheel is the itp baja wheel it's got that reinforcing ring that makes them strong that's what I run because they are affordable and still good and just make sure your bikes tight and nothing's wrong you can't win the race if you don't finish it

LxMxL97
10-03-2013, 05:47 AM
Also I run a 21in rear tire and a 22 front people will probably say that's too big but you still have plenty of speed and torque of you gear it right and since everyone runs 20s in the rear ruts aren't really a problem