PDA

View Full Version : Carb problem?

fasterblaster09
09-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Hey guys, haven't been here in a longgg while, but finally picked up another bike (400ex). Had a problem of gas constantly dripping from overflow. Long story short, My fiancé rode it a few days ago and it ran out of gas and she pushed into she'd. I came home from work (offshore) and had a new float needle waiting so I can hopefully get the gas out from dripping from overflow. I pulled the carb apart and changed the float, went to store to get more gas, and the damn thing doesn't start! It does like it wants to run for about a second, then just keeps turning over again as if its still out of gas. I'm no mechanic, and would really appreciate any suggestions. I leave for work again Sunday and would really like to bring my son riding before I leave again. Thanks in advance guys, Neil

LeGaCyGiAnT124
09-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Hey guys, haven't been here in a longgg while, but finally picked up another bike (400ex). Had a problem of gas constantly dripping from overflow. Long story short, My fiancé rode it a few days ago and it ran out of gas and she pushed into she'd. I came home from work (offshore) and had a new float needle waiting so I can hopefully get the gas out from dripping from overflow. I pulled the carb apart and changed the float, went to store to get more gas, and the damn thing doesn't start! It does like it wants to run for about a second, then just keeps turning over again as if its still out of gas. I'm no mechanic, and would really appreciate any suggestions. I leave for work again Sunday and would really like to bring my son riding before I leave again. Thanks in advance guys, Neil

Re-trace everything. Think how the gas gets to the motor. When you turn the petcock on, does gas flow freely? I was a little confused reading the post too. Does the quad start for a second and then shutoff, or does it act like it wants to start but continues to turn over?

The only reason of why it isn't starting to me is either A) no fuel is getting to the motor or not enough to keep it running B) You have an air leak somewhere or C) The float you installed is not working properly.

Let us know some more details. It's possible it could be your spark plug too.

-Brandon