PDA

View Full Version : 400ex fox float r front shocks good or bad???

400exrich
09-23-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm building my 400ex suspension and I was looking for shocks in the mid range price and I looked at the fox float r front shocks for $700 I found out that they are a air shock and I don't know if the air shocks are good I do like the fact that they cut 6lbs of the front end but aee they worth it any routine work? Or do they need to be filled with air a lot

Drifterboy3
09-24-2013, 12:45 AM
From what I understand there is no spring therefore if you blow a seal you have no shock which would be a problem in a race. I know plenty of mx pros run them though.

RNL
09-24-2013, 03:49 AM
Should be a nice upgrade from stock. Plus shaving 6 lbs off the front doesnt hurt either. One downside would be having to check the air pressure in them before riding, but not a big deal. I was thinking of getting some for my 2012 YFZ. I think they come on some sleds to like the Arctic Cat procross series...........

KKiowaTJ
09-24-2013, 11:52 AM
If you use plain air, Make sure you have a moisture filter in line so you don't fill the shocks up and add that 6lbs back. To bypass it altogether, Fill and use nitrogen. When warm it wont expand, No moisture, And will hold a stable pressure longer. If you don't want to buy a tank of it, Call a few tire shops, They fill tires with it and pay them a couple dollars. Good luck

Blodg
09-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Are you looking at these for racing? If it is for trail riding I personally would not want something more expensive than the old tried and true 450R shock conversion. With a dual spring conversion it would be less costly, 100% reliable, and known to work very well on the 400EX.

I am very happy with mine.

Thumpin440ex
09-24-2013, 10:33 PM
I agree with this guy ^^^^

John

Stickman400
09-25-2013, 12:56 AM
Here's a member that had the same question and decided to pull the trigger and get them. He said they worked pretty good for his uses IIRC. I have the JET triple rate 450R conversion on my 450 shocks that are valved for my weight, XC riding style, and the GT XC link and it rides like a Cadillac in the woods. But it also cost about $800 total in the end. Lot less to go wrong on a spring shock instead of an air shock also though.

http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?493047-well-i-did-it

atvrider13
09-25-2013, 04:56 AM
If you use plain air, Make sure you have a moisture filter in line so you don't fill the shocks up and add that 6lbs back. To bypass it altogether, Fill and use nitrogen. When warm it wont expand, No moisture, And will hold a stable pressure longer. If you don't want to buy a tank of it, Call a few tire shops, They fill tires with it and pay them a couple dollars. Good luck
They come with their own hand pump. I had the original Floats and were nice shocks, much better than oem .I have since updraded to Elka Elites. Also they do not need to be checked frequently , just need the air chambers taken apart and lubed up once a year. Pretty easy, directions that come with explain it well.

400exrich
09-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Are you looking at these for racing? If it is for trail riding I personally would not want something more expensive than the old tried and true 450R shock conversion. With a dual spring conversion it would be less costly, 100% reliable, and known to work very well on the 400EX.

I am very happy with mine.
Thanks and ya I trail race a lot I just seen them and just wanted to ask if they were good

Zakradu398
09-25-2013, 01:42 PM
I trail ride mostly, few xcs. I plan on the floats for my next mod, my 450 fronts are getting worn out. I didn't care for them much from the beginning though.

KKiowaTJ
09-25-2013, 06:29 PM
They come with their own hand pump. I had the original Floats and were nice shocks, much better than oem .I have since updraded to Elka Elites. Also they do not need to be checked frequently , just need the air chambers taken apart and lubed up once a year. Pretty easy, directions that come with explain it well.

That's good. I remember when people used regular air and it would seize forks on bikes and hold moisture. Not a problem today as it was years ago.

Thumpin440ex
09-25-2013, 06:49 PM
I don't understand why people pay extra money for shocks that need more maintenance then a regular spring style shock. Have your 50's converted to a dual style spring, revalved. LEss maintenance is better. Just my op

John

TacicalRedneck
10-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah I bought some. I was told I'd have to check the pressure daily honestly Ibhavnt added any air for months now. I just today took some rough trails and faily rough mid sized jumps with ... Bad landings. Some Rednecks built some whoops way to big and way to far apart... Anyway...

If I had it to do over again if have bought a used set of evols off the forum. At the time there weren't any to be had cheap- don't get me wrong- I love the basics to death.. But

I'm also running +2 a arms and have some anti vibe chromoly stuff or something...
Probably wouldn't be as nice with a stock front end.

They were a pain to install to. Had to do grinding and bending on upper shock mounts if I remember right

Zakradu398
10-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Yeah I bought some. I was told I'd have to check the pressure daily honestly Ibhavnt added any air for months now. I just today took some rough trails and faily rough mid sized jumps with ... Bad landings. Some Rednecks built some whoops way to big and way to far apart... Anyway...

If I had it to do over again if have bought a used set of evols off the forum. At the time there weren't any to be had cheap- don't get me wrong- I love the basics to death.. But

I'm also running +2 a arms and have some anti vibe chromoly stuff or something...
Probably wouldn't be as nice with a stock front end.

They were a pain to install to. Had to do grinding and bending on upper shock mounts if I remember right

Damn, I was hoping not to hear something like that.

atvrider13
10-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Mine went on no problems. His mustve not have been for a 400ex.

TacicalRedneck
10-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Damn, I was hoping not to hear something like that.

Well... I'm not a pro at telling u how good these things are , all know is I would've died if I had stock shocks today. Or something like that..

I know if notice more if I put the old shocks back on

TacicalRedneck
10-03-2013, 06:41 PM
They also lower the front end a little MX tires 18s and 20s leveled it out or else when you fit on it it will level