PDA

View Full Version : Alignment/Toe help/Handle bar I FUBAR'd it

KKiowaTJ
09-22-2013, 10:56 PM
So today it was nice out and needed to fix some problems. So I started with the TRE/Rod ASR 12mm kit. Everything went ok, Except now my handle bars are tweaked to the left a tad for one.
The next, It rides a lot different and the tires are as straight/1/8 toe in I could get. I couldn't find a point to measure from with that was solid and the same.
Last, I did the pull strap trick and the bars did not seem to move IMO. I checked many times. But when I had to 'fine tune it', The stem is bent or 'just off' and bars wont line up without throwing off the tires.

The ride, I rode in on cement where I did the work. It felt like I had more of a rubber/flex feel to it. Turned fine and looked ok from popping the front up etc during and after. Kinda feels loose IMO but it reacts fine from what I could tell on in the dirt with headlights by the time I made it gone.
Ran it up to speed and it felt good, Nothing odd except the loose feeling now and bars.

Anyone have any pointers how to get the bars straight? Or an old alignment thread with a what to use, Where to measure, How to for dummies/cliff notes? Ill ride tomorrow to and see if I like it in the dirt and can stand the bars, But that's the only thing I can think about is the FUBAR'd alignment 'attempt'. Thanks for any help or tops

2001400exrida
09-23-2013, 07:59 AM
best way to get the bars straight is to use the string or board method. I take 2 jackstands and set them behind the quad. With the handlebars cross strapped to the grab bar, make sure the bars are perfectly straight and then tighten straps enough so that they do not move. Tie a string to your jackstands. Then run the string straight to the front of the quad. You will have to make sure that your measurements are good.

If the string is too much you can just find a straight board and set it up next to the rear tire and run it straight forward to the front of the quad. Check the distance from the tire to the board with a tape measure on both sides of the quad. In all honesty i've been able to check mine with the board method and it has never failed me. Now that i do FT i set my camber/castor a little different depending on the tracks. I set my outside tire with more of a camber to it so it hugs the banks if there is a bank.

KKiowaTJ
09-23-2013, 10:53 AM
I tried for a few minutes with a board. Then I got thinking about my bent axle and went to another 'way' I guess.
I had an Ipad out in the shop and watched and read about the string/jackstand trick and I should have/will try when I fix it. I thought I got the straps tight, But I did not criss-cross them and I knew in the back of my mind I should have started over. They are looking straight with a tad of camber in one arm lol.

I think im just going to hold off if I can until a friend can help. I had my mom, Bag of sand and a bucket of kitty litter to compensate for my weight 215 lol to get it 'at ride/weight height'. If we take it back apart, Strap it all down the correct way, Im sure ill find where I went wrong. Thanks for the pointers and help.

KKiowaTJ
09-23-2013, 06:42 PM
I got a better chance to 'test' it. Other than the bars off or bent and or bent stem, I like the way it rides. I went on the street and rode a few wheelies and dropped it with not hands on the controls and it went straight, No jolt or pull.
On my mini track in the dirt and all around for that matter, Its less responsive. I cant cut down from high on the monza wall, It pushes a wheel over and you have to slow. But you can cut/run the low side with ease now.
At high speeds road or dirt 4/5th tapped it felt good and ran straight too. IMO unless a friend says its out or looks out, Im just going to let it be. The bar thing, Its something I can live with for now unless like said. Where it was, About 1/4 toe in, It was responsive and harsh, Now it looks to me, Dead nuts on or a hair in and plush ride.