PDA

View Full Version : How to build a track...

quad2xtreme
09-21-2013, 08:58 AM
So, I decided there aren't many tracks that are open during the week when I could ride in the evenings, etc. I pondered buying land and just building a track for myself with no permits or seeking permits but risk being turned down. I really wasn't sure how much land I would need and also considered leasing land from a farmer in the middle of a corn field. I also watched all the extreme hard work that goes along with building a successful motocross/entertainment complex from watching a close friend Dan Harris do it with Breezewood Proving Grounds and knew about many of the challenges and time it takes to build from the ground up. I am turning 49 and don't have as many riding years left as I'd like so...

In the end, it seemed easier to buy a track. I am buying a turnkey, 26 acre, permitted race/track facility with sanctioned AMA races already (South Fork Competition Park). It is a sand track. It has 2 septic systems, 80+ gpm well, 1 restroom building and 1 restroom/shower building, 30X70' steel building with concrete floor, scoring tower, sign-in building, entrance building, 5th wheel RV, Cat D3 Dozer, Massey Ferguson 573 tractor (75 hp), International Water truck, water wagon, Kubota RTV900, John Deere Gator, 4 or 5 4X4 utility quads, pair of large bleachers, the computer systems/printers/race software, full electric to the buildings, and PA system. My goal is to just continue building upon the successes of the current owner and his teams. He has a great track crew, flagging crew, gate and scoring crew, and announcer. Hopefully, my role is funding, a little management oversight, and lots of riding!!!

Did I mention I am married and my wife went along with all of this? Not only does she ride like a beast in the WV mountains on a sport quad but she supports me in buying this track. The real downside is we moved to Raleigh to be closer to our best friends who relocated here due to a change in his job location. I am hoping he will return the favor and move to Richmond, VA area in a few years.

Blodg
09-21-2013, 04:26 PM
That is amazing and something most of us only dream about! Congratulations on having the guts (and funds) to do something like this and it sounds like the track coming with all the extra's/equipment will be a grown man's playground. Where is this located?

Although it sounds like a lot of fun there will be a lot of work to running the track also and I wish you good luck!

quad2xtreme
09-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks. It is www.southforkmx.com (http://www.southforkmx.com). You can use google to take closer look at the track and its proximity to Richmond, VA. The closest "town" is Disputanta, VA which is about 5 miles away.

/Jon

blacknblue#2
09-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Jon its none of my business so if you don't feel the need to answer I understand but I have to ask what you do for a living lol?. It seems when you get a wild hair for something you own it. I wish I was able to do such a thing. I had to force myself to make the move to build a 25k garage and I still ain't convinced myself that it ain't gonna bankrupt me hahaha.

quad2xtreme
09-22-2013, 01:55 PM
I should buy this website so I could respond without losing my work and time. ;)

The short answer now is...I am a manager in the IT field. I manage a team of 15 engineers that host high-end websites for government agencies.

wickestangwv
09-23-2013, 12:40 AM
I live in Gloucester VA about 2HRs from South fork. My kids and I ride there 3-4 times a year. Any chance you will open it up to riding during the weekdays?

quad2xtreme
09-23-2013, 08:08 AM
It will likely take us about 8 months until we can open during the week. We will never be open 7 days a week though. Most likely schedule will be Thursday through Monday. We are planning to be open every weekend weather permitting starting in November except when there is a district race at VMP or Elizabeth City. It is possible we will start be open on Thursday and Friday those weekends. I really want to give folks a place to practice that is close by on those race weekends.

blacknblue#2
09-23-2013, 08:31 AM
At least we know there has been another track claimed that wont BAN quads lol

quad2xtreme
09-23-2013, 08:45 AM
definitely not banning quads...and the track will always be groomed and watered even if it is just a few riders. I'd rather lose money on any given day than provide bad service. I am planning to force a few option lines though where quads sometimes take the inner berm and bikes take the outer berm and forcing riders to stay in a line to the point of the jump. I've been watching to see how to best allow both to coexist. I've been watching the master for years (Dan Harris) so I will implement some of his techniques of multiple lines, etc. One of the tricks is to provide passing lanes where a slower rider can't block a faster rider.

exhausted
09-23-2013, 02:40 PM
We are super excited to hear this! I will be your new best friend if yours won't move up. lol After recently losing our favorite track (NCMP) for reasons I really don't understand, and knowing South Fork was for sale, we were really depressed. But after seeing this, and having been to Breezewood and seeing how quad friendly and awesome that facility is, its great to see you buying South Fork.
I just told my son and he literally just yelled out of enthusiasm. lol
Having a place to ride within an hour from us every weekend will be outstanding, and your idea of multiple lines like Breezewood has is great.

Here are a few videos from my son racing there at the last D13 race this month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGJMJzA3Fhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--CtE9FU5lc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AKxTfC-Oiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydjay8ZivQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDa6avrORPA

rf928
09-23-2013, 05:33 PM
I wondered if you were in some kind of technology business. Good on ya, we need someone to do that up in Alberta :P