PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coat Questions

EHSRACING
03-19-2003, 01:47 PM
hey this is probably a question i already know the answer to but im going to ask it anyway. im doing my first powder coat job i bought one of the things off ebay i was wondering if i do not get every piece of paint of the frame will it screw up the powder coat. Im not talking big patches or anything but if there is spots where it isnt perfectlt clean will it make a difference. the reason i say this is because the air compressor i have right now and the sand blaster both kinda suck but i have a new big compressor coming should make a difference will it matter if there a little paint here and there or will it prevent a bond between the powder and metal to where it will be weak

CBW
03-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Adhesion in those areas could be affected,,,,,,,,but not that much...
if the parts where the paint is still on the frame is rough,,,,,or even loose and raised up,,,,then it will show as a rough spot in the powder, or even not get totally covered by the powder.
If the color you are covering is dark,,,,,,and the powder light,,,,,,,,,,the paint will bleed through a bit,,like white over red..........

if the paint is dark,,,,,,and the powder is dark,,,,,,,,it will hide it,,,,,,like black over black.

I have done stuff for some who insisted they had the part clean enough........and it came ok,,,,,It was real small spots.....,,,,,,

Its a try it and see type of thing;)

Woodsrider
03-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Why dont you just strip the spots off with chemical stripper? I strip most of my stuff with stripper, then use the sand blaster to get the little spots that the stripper didnt get.

I didn't get all of the stock paint off of my front bumper before I PC'd it, and the spots where the paint was blistered:ermm: So I ended up doing it twice. Just remember.... the finished product will only be as good as the prep job!

CBW
03-19-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Why dont you just strip the spots off with chemical stripper? I strip most of my stuff with stripper, then use the sand blaster to get the little spots that the stripper didnt get.

I didn't get all of the stock paint off of my front bumper before I PC'd it, and the spots where the paint was blistered:ermm: So I ended up doing it twice. Just remember.... the finished product will only be as good as the prep job!

EXACTLY !!!! ;)

i just couldnt seem to get it out right..........lol:p

EHSRACING
03-19-2003, 02:41 PM
i definetly agree with you there also, i have done numerous body amounts of autobody jobs and i know what you mean i did use stripper it was the aircraft stuff in a spray can and i did it 3 times so far there are still little spots in some areas but i would say right now 95% of the frame is cleaned to bare metal and i will work on it a little more i was just wondering about the adhesion properties because the powder actually forms a bond like chrome right? i thought maybe if it wasnt completely bare it would not hold in the spots im not really sure its all new but thanks for your guys input that the kind of stuff i need to hear

Woodsrider
03-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Get the brush on stipper. It is cheaper and goes A LOT further. You would be surprised how much spray on you're wasting trying to spray a frame. You can get it on much better with a brush.

hash1250r
03-20-2003, 12:45 AM
Try using a die grinder with a wire brush,or sanding pad.I used them until my cabient came in.Now i just strip it the sand blast the hard parts.