PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this please.

jarfly
09-18-2013, 09:23 PM
So I found out tonight that my jug/piston is shot, was told 440 but it's stock. I all ready put a cam and rockers on this. So got on the ol' fle bay and looked and going to be around 300 for a jug and piston. Going to go to a 426 would a cam have a seat of pants fill? may do a little head cleaning and get a 450 carb. OR wile cruiseing craigslist I found a xr600 motor still on bike for sell for 300 bucks. So I thought um, a lot more power for around the same price (yes I know it will be extra for the little things I need for the swap) But that's a whole lot more power than you can get out of a 400.
I do trails, Would the 600 motor be to much power? I want something pretty fast and toquey. How ever I want to be able to ride this thing at a weekend at a time and it not kill me to ride it.

chronicsmoke
09-19-2013, 07:15 AM
So I found out tonight that my jug/piston is shot, was told 440 but it's stock. I all ready put a cam and rockers on this. So got on the ol' fle bay and looked and going to be around 300 for a jug and piston. Going to go to a 426 would a cam have a seat of pants fill? may do a little head cleaning and get a 450 carb. OR wile cruiseing craigslist I found a xr600 motor still on bike for sell for 300 bucks. So I thought um, a lot more power for around the same price (yes I know it will be extra for the little things I need for the swap) But that's a whole lot more power than you can get out of a 400.
I do trails, Would the 600 motor be to much power? I want something pretty fast and toquey. How ever I want to be able to ride this thing at a weekend at a time and it not kill me to ride it.

I would go to a 407 or 416.. buy a piston and have a machinest match your jug to the new piston. This will be a better setup than an "package" from flea-bay.. probably a bit cheaper too.

I've got a little 426 with a magnum st. 2 cam, 450r carb ect and while it's no modded 450r, it's still a little weapon. You'd be satisfied with a 10 or 11:1 piston and a St.2 cam & 450r carb..

That 600 engine sounds cool and all but you'll be $1000 deep in the conversion before you're able to ride it, they are very cool though.

jarfly
09-19-2013, 08:07 AM
I would go to a 407 or 416.. buy a piston and have a machinest match your jug to the new piston. This will be a better setup than an "package" from flea-bay.. probably a bit cheaper too.

I've got a little 426 with a magnum st. 2 cam, 450r carb ect and while it's no modded 450r, it's still a little weapon. You'd be satisfied with a 10 or 11:1 piston and a St.2 cam & 450r carb..

That 600 engine sounds cool and all but you'll be $1000 deep in the conversion before you're able to ride it, they are very cool though.

Decided i'm going to keep my 400ex motor, seeing as I got a 05 bottom end with the reverse. I got to take my jug to see if I can bore it. Kinda wanting the 426 kit,I want to do it once and be done, and dought I'll keep the quad long enough to have to redo it again. I read that the stock cly can be bored for a 426 kit? How much is a 426?.120 over?