PDA

View Full Version : 450 riders

HondaRacing83
09-18-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm always in the market for a 450 but still havnt pulled the trigger yet. Im just so picky because i love the way my 400ex feels sitting on it. Ive rode numerous 08+ 400exs and hate how they feel tgey just feel like your sitting on top of it i think its very uncomfortable and it feels like im riding a 250ex. Im a really tall dude ( 6'2" 180lbs) and 450s just feel really small. I love every aspect of the kfx ( fi, reverse, looks, aluminum frame etc) but i ride one and wasnt a fan of the feel. Felt small like a 250 raptor. Seat was stiff and it didnt turn good. I dont like the new yfz's, i havnt rode one but ive sat on them and they feel small and the frontend feels stubby. I like the seat thats it. Hondas feel pretty comfy to me but im still iffy on it. Never even sat on a suzuki or canam but id forsure like to look into them. What do you taller guys suggest? I dont care if hondas the most reliable i know that but im more concerned about how they feel to me

blacknblue#2
09-19-2013, 04:48 AM
6'2 230 here. Honda with a +1 stem always felt best for me. zyoung04 is about 6'4 6'5 and runs a new style YFZ witha +2 stem. i feel right at home on it too. I feel cramped on the KFX even with a longer stem.

chronicsmoke
09-19-2013, 06:04 AM
6'3/#200 here with +2 stem and flexx bars and it's great.

Quinn4
09-19-2013, 07:13 AM
6'3" 250 I ride a Can Am 450 with the X package stem risers. Feels perfect, I agree with you the other 450's do feel small.

HondaRacing83
09-19-2013, 04:17 PM
I dont understand why theyd make 450s feel smaller than 400s lol. I like the looks of the can am everybody talks **** on them but i havnt really done any research on them

CJM
09-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Very happy with my 04 450, they sit a bit differently than the 06+ bikes, bit higher. I have pro taper medium bars, I could use another inch in height tho. Im 6ft and 200lbs.

HondaRacing83
09-20-2013, 01:29 PM
I actually dont like super high bars i have fairly low bars. I run protaper cr hi bends with like 30mm risers or someting. I love the feeling i love how my quad feels to me. I love the seat and bars. My dad wants me to get something with electric start so 04/05 hondas out. Kinda gotta go buy what he says too because well im 16 and at the end of the day he cuts the check. A banshee would be the only exception. I really like banshees i think there just cool. Ive also been looking at the non irs outlaw 525. They got a ktm motor so i figured they cant be too bad. I like how you sit in my quad and you sit on too of other quads i hate that

beastlywarrior
09-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Just keep the dang 400 and be happy

wfo4rv
09-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Just keep the dang 400 and be happy

Or he could do a hybrid, it's obvious he loves the 400 ergonomics

HondaRacing83
09-20-2013, 06:35 PM
i need more power things slow as hell and i hate the suspension

quad2xtreme
09-20-2013, 07:30 PM
I am 6' 5.5" and 200 lbs. I have a 2006 450r with +1 stem and the taller ATV Flexxbars which makes it about a +2 overall. I feel cramped on my wife's 2008 with a +1 stem and the lower flexbars and she runs Houser pro-bounce pegs which are higher than stock. It really takes some getting used to when I have to jump on hers.

I think you can make any of the bikes feel "bigger" if you put the right components on it.

mineralgrey01gt
10-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Go find a ltr450. Not talking them up because I owned one but I rode all the 450's and this one was the most comfortable and has plenty of room. I didnt feel crammed up like I do on the honda's and kfx's. The yfz wasnt bad but I ended up with the ltr450 and was a good choice for me. Throw a cherry bomb, full exhaust, and intake hot cam in it and have fun, more power than you will ever need, plus a factory wide stance on them with fuel injection is nice.

2001400exrida
10-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Coming from a 400ex and a yfz background the honda 450 took a little bit for me to get used too. It was like it had the 400ex width, but with more power and a rock hard front suspension. The 450rs pretty much all feel the same in stock form, just like all the 400ex's feel the same in stock form. Once i got used to the 450 though I dont think I can find a machine that rides better. Get some +2 a arms and a wider axle as well as some rebuilt suspension and you can't beat how the honda's ride.

blaster99
10-16-2013, 03:13 PM
I have ridden many 450s, and sat on them all. KTM, Polaris mxr450 and LTR feel very similar when you sit on them. The LTR I had felt so heavy to me. I was pretty small back then 5'9 145 pounds. I felt like I was going to fall off it and like I was sitting up on top. I raced on of the Polaris MXRs for a year.... they are fast a hell in a straight line all modified, but I have never ridden one stock. Turning or large whoops aren't the Polaris's strong point at all. I would stay away from Polaris... very hard to find parts, which is the same problem with the KTM. I haven't ridden a KTM, so I can't say much about them other than they feel like the Polaris and LTR sitting on it.

I don't have much experience with new YFZs, but I think the Honda and Can-am are more comfy. As far as Kawi... its a light bike but I didn't like riding it and it always felt so weird to me.

If i were to buy a quad again and start racing very competitively again, or just for trails and fun bombing around, I would consider another DS450 or a TRX. Both have electric start, (06+ Honda), but stock for stock I think the Can-am is a better bike. Stepping up to an XMX or a base model with the XMX suspension and stem is going to blow you away. When I first got one I could not believe it was stock, I was faster on a bone stock xmx than my fully built LTR, and could ride about 15 minutes longer per moto.. that is a ton of time. Really its all presonal preference, and as long as you don't feel uncomfortable riding the quad you will get used to it. Getting used to the Can-am took me 3 laps. It took me about 3 months to feel okay on the LTR and Polaris. I got used to the Honda fairly quick, but I never had too much time on one.

Some say Can-ams are unreliable, but show me a TRX/YFZ/LTR/KFX without a broken frame or a freak lower end issue that destroys the entire engine. Engine failures happen to all 4-strokes, especially if you go building the engine or don't change the oil. Fixing a 450 engine is not cheap either...

dxcody
11-03-2013, 05:00 PM
The first thing I noticed when I switched to my yfz was how much more room there was between the front fender and rear fender when you are leaning in corners and such... and I am a little guy! So I can only imagine how you feel...

As for sitting on quads looking for comfort..... nothing is going to feel at home without your handlebars and front bumper in front of you...