PDA

View Full Version : head gasket question

ehorst33
09-18-2013, 06:58 AM
I tried to do a little searching but haven't found a good answer yet. Fairly easy question(maybe). I am looking for a new head gasket. My 250 has 88 bottom end 86 top with brand new hot rod crank. High compression piston, 2.5 mil over bore. What would be a good gasket for this set up and anywhere I can just buy a single gasket? The compression is testing in the 90s. Let me know what you guys think.

Langbolt
09-19-2013, 10:43 AM
The compression is testing in the 90s. Let me know what you guys think.

I THINK....TIME FOR A RE-BUILD....Minimum compression should be 150psi

88 bottom end + 86 top end (cylinder & Piston) = 0.0190" SPACER PLATE + two OEM gaskets

How thick is your Spacer plate ?

How thick is your Base Gasket(s) ?

Are you currently running a Head gasket ? If so....check your SQUISH clearance to so how much thinner you can go.

The CR250R gaskets are much thinner than the TRX250R/ATC250R...if you have a large squish then it can be an easy swap....but I think you need to address the LOW compression first.

:)

ehorst33
09-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the help. I am going to make some phone calls to get some more info. I had just got this engine of a guy that bought the whole quad for the frame and other parts. He said the engine was rebuilt not to long ago (hes a good local mechanic, very trustworthy in my opinion FYI). I know the head gasket is bad for sure but would that cause that low of compression? I will go home tonight and check the questions you asked.

One main thing I need to look at again is the compression, it could be wrong reading. I had my little brother to it (for experience in his shop class) I have a strong feeling that isn't correct. any more input would be awesome.

ehorst33
09-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Quick update compression is 180, no spacer plate but there it a steel gasket. Any recommendations? On gasket setup that is?

Fear250r
09-20-2013, 09:40 AM
No spacer plate? I don't think you've got an 86 cylinder then.