PDA

View Full Version : Got This Big Gun Rev Box..

cheater13
09-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Is it worth putting on with the mods I got? I know these things don't do much if anything at all according to my readings on here. I know the xr and white brothers does something, but I was just wandering about this one because I just got given it tonight since my friend has no use for it anymore.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/9EA48FBF-47F0-4BE4-9C30-0425AEF6BD33-14969-0000092414FC8DE3_zps1e4d96fb.jpg

Ryan02400ex
09-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Might as well put it on. I bought one on eBay, I can't remember the brand but I'm sure there can't be much difference between them. I like it, I saw some pretty good gains with my 426. It pulls harder and longer. It comes in pretty handy when riding with 450rs

Thumpin440ex
09-17-2013, 11:10 PM
With the cam, set up you have it might make a difference. On a stock bike it doesn't really since the cam falls off a bit before redline. I could tell a difference in the stock box, the sparks box with my set up..

John

cheater13
09-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys! I'll put it on later this week and see if i can tell a difference. Any power difference at all counts for me at this point!

400man
09-19-2013, 12:18 AM
I won a xr250 cdi box off ebay real cheap and it raised the rev limiter quite a bit, to the point where I was nervous to try and rev it that far cause it sounded like my motor was gonna fly apart. so I just went back to the stock cdi box, feels a little safer :o

cheater13
09-19-2013, 06:48 AM
I won a xr250 cdi box off ebay real cheap and it raised the rev limiter quite a bit, to the point where I was nervous to try and rev it that far cause it sounded like my motor was gonna fly apart. so I just went back to the stock cdi box, feels a little safer :o

Did you notice any power gain throughout the rpm? I don't want to put it on if its only going to increase my revs to the un-safe point. I was hoping maybe a change in the power curve or whatever.

RNL
09-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Just put it on and see, worst case it does nothing and take it off. Just dont rev it till it explodes lol.

JOHNDOE83
09-19-2013, 08:48 AM
i tried the big gun, its safe to rev out, my report on it is that it was a good rev box but when it got to the upper rpms "the extra 1200" it suposed to have it would rev slow.

Like rev to the normal limit then slowly gain a few extra rpm at WOT.

the reason I reccommend the white bros is because it had the most rpm gain and the best quickest rev out in those rpms.

cheater13
09-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Well it was free so I couldn't say no. But them white brothers ones are hard to find now adays.

So you think it would do anything to help me with my drag racing John?

JOHNDOE83
09-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Theres only one way to find out!!!

it just un plugs and then plugs back in, bring it to the drags, make a pass, switch boxes, make another pass, switch again, then match times and figure out which is best

Stickman400
09-20-2013, 04:04 AM
It removes your reverse limiter also, so that's kinda handy, atleast if you're trail riding. I got the same one, noticed some gains but nothing major. I mostly like it for the reverse limiter removal.

DragonGunner
09-20-2013, 06:15 AM
i tried the big gun, its safe to rev out, my report on it is that it was a good rev box but when it got to the upper rpms "the extra 1200" it suposed to have it would rev slow.

Like rev to the normal limit then slowly gain a few extra rpm at WOT.

the reason I reccommend the white bros is because it had the most rpm gain and the best quickest rev out in those rpms.

Now John, you know from this site that all rev CDI boxy thingys are junk and a waste of money and don't do anything......lol. Ain't selling my WB no time soon.

cheater13
09-20-2013, 06:36 AM
I'll just go ahead and put it on sometime here, haha.

I normally have the thing hitting the limiter on the drag strip though, but as long as this is a safe one I should be alright. Don't wanna blow it up anytime soon. :p

RNL
09-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Now John, you know from this site that all rev CDI boxy thingys are junk and a waste of money and don't do anything......lol. Ain't selling my WB no time soon.

Seems like there were some heated threads on this mod over the years.

400man
09-20-2013, 07:51 AM
I'll just go ahead and put it on sometime here, haha.

I normally have the thing hitting the limiter on the drag strip though, but as long as this is a safe one I should be alright. Don't wanna blow it up anytime soon. :p

it takes maybe a minute or less to swap it out. I took mine with me to the dirt drags at the fair a few weeks ago, but it didn't really change much besides the rev limiter. to me its not worth the risk of over reving the motor to gain a hundreds of a second on your time. so that's my opinion on it,

JOHNDOE83
09-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Seems like there were some heated threads on this mod over the years.

Well like I said before I tried about 6 different rev boxes, I can see how some people would say they do nothing, I actually tried 5 and went back to the stock CDI. Then i was at a cycle gear and saw the white bros CDI, since I had some other WB stuff I was willing to try it. I payed $145 back then and the WB was night and day difference compared to the other CDIs.

Another problem people have is some rev boxes change the timing, if you already have a advaced key and you try a advanced cdi, it will completely throw off the timing and run worse if at all.

One member here put on a +6 key and couldnt get his atv to even start, I asked if he had a aftermarket cdi he said yes, I told him put the stock back in and BAM fired right up and ran like a beast....lol.

cheater13
09-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Well I'll try it and if I don't like it, i'll just sell it.

How much are one of these things going for now adays?

RNL
09-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Well like I said before I tried about 6 different rev boxes, I can see how some people would say they do nothing, I actually tried 5 and went back to the stock CDI. Then i was at a cycle gear and saw the white bros CDI, since I had some other WB stuff I was willing to try it. I payed $145 back then and the WB was night and day difference compared to the other CDIs.

Another problem people have is some rev boxes change the timing, if you already have a advaced key and you try a advanced cdi, it will completely throw off the timing and run worse if at all.

One member here put on a +6 key and couldnt get his atv to even start, I asked if he had a aftermarket cdi he said yes, I told him put the stock back in and BAM fired right up and ran like a beast....lol.

What does the WB do that makes it so much better? And you mentioned the advance key.........another heated mod that some swear by, and others swore it did nothing!!!

JOHNDOE83
09-20-2013, 01:50 PM
What does the WB do that makes it so much better? And you mentioned the advance key.........another heated mod that some swear by, and others swore it did nothing!!!

LOL I know its getting controversial in here now!!! lol

Like I said before most of the rev boxs I tried when you got to the "supposed" extra 1200 rpm it would rev slower, some would rev slower then plain out, some just seemed to do nothing and others made it not run at all.

The WB box reved HARD and FAST from idle to complete WOT with a real feeling extra RPM, it says 1200 but it really feels like 500 or 800 but you get the bang for your buck for sure.

Like if I was drag racing and with my gearing I had to shift right before the finish line and barely hit the next gear, well Id be losing ET with that shift and missing out on a extra few RPMs, but If I switch to a higher performing rev box I can rev that gear out all the way across the finish line gaining ET the whole way.

The advance key is like adding a cdi, only with a cdi you can remove a reverse limiter and gain extra RPM "sometimes". You might aswell buy a good cdi for what it takes to install a key, some people notice it others dont notice at all, sometimes the engine performs different with timing advance and might need rejetted and not run right so people assum the mod is junk...etc.

JOHNDOE83
09-20-2013, 01:57 PM
it takes maybe a minute or less to swap it out. I took mine with me to the dirt drags at the fair a few weeks ago, but it didn't really change much besides the rev limiter. to me its not worth the risk of over reving the motor to gain a hundreds of a second on your time. so that's my opinion on it,

Thats very true, but in the drag racing world hundreths of a second in 200-300ft can be a whole bike length.

Stickman400
09-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Has anyone tried the AMR Racing CDI box to see if it makes a difference? I've heard they do a good job of changing the timing curve and make a real difference.

cheater13
01-16-2014, 05:51 PM
BOOM. The dead thread has arose... ;)

But I was looking at amr stuff and researching and it was hit and miss. I never got the chance to put my big gun rev box on so it'll go on this racing season. Might get it dynoed and see if it shows a difference.

I was always curious of the amr monster coils...

Stickman400
01-16-2014, 11:39 PM
I was gunna try and find this thread to link it another thread awhile back but never felt like it, thanks for bumping it. I felt the same way about the AMR stuff but I don't think I'm gunna try them unless my OEM stuff takes a ****.

cheater13
01-17-2014, 06:09 AM
Yeah, some people say it did help some and some said it wasn't worth spending the money they want for it. My builder told me to go ahead and run the Big Gun box since the curve should help me out with my built motor.

He also said DynaTech was a good cdi box.

cheater13
01-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Found this on the org last night when I was searching around.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/image-14.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/cheater13_photos/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-14.jpg.html)