PDA

View Full Version : Chassis and Suspension

KKiowaTJ
09-16-2013, 11:35 PM
I have looked at ebay and amazon for a-arms so I know what a total cost will be. I like the ASR and Alba IIRC. The ASR are heim all around and vs. ball joints and poly. Either way with shocks it will come out about the same. I get an ASR 'kit', Or Alba arms and piece together what I need. The FF's look the same and are same price, So if they are cheaper at purchase time its an option.

I have herd good and bad from heims on chassis and spindle side on quads along with ridged ride and squeak now and then. Seen the Alba's and know where I can get the rest. Any opinions on them and or the ASR/FF a-arms?

I plan on the 450r shock if I can for a decent price. Since they are 2"+/- longer can I get the long travel for the difference? Or the +2" a-arms and not re-spring, Just have them set for me?

Not looking to race, Just a woods/mx toy. But IMO I could use some front help. Tried a 450r and although they are fast and better suited, I like my 400 and the reliable motor. I don't jump much, But the pogo stick are getting bad on trails and up/down hills. I just need a more width and just 450r take offs will help. Any help or opinions would be great, Thanks

400man
09-17-2013, 08:21 PM
i got the alba a-arms and they are good, but the bushings wore out way to fast on me, and the rubber boots on the balljoints dryrotted and cracked after the bushings started to go. and i could not find any replacement bushings anywhere so i had to come up with something on my own.

KKiowaTJ
09-17-2013, 10:17 PM
I think im just going to go with ASR ones against better judgment. They have the +2/+1 I want. I was curious about the trail/lug speed, That they rattle and sound like ****! Plus I figured id use the 2" to my advantage and get long travel or +2" arms.

I guess it will depend on which I get first and it will most likely be shocks. If I have them built for my spec's I can run standard length. Im to the point I need something better up front regardless. I guess ill see how it plays out because I need an axle, Chain and sprockets. So for the front, Ill just chance 2/3 wheels.

By then I might be able to buy a set of better a-arms that are good for all around riding.

400man
09-17-2013, 11:58 PM
well, you don't have to get aftermarket a-arms to run better shocks. if you like the stock width up front, you can get some HLS shocks (made by gt thunder) and they are setup for stock width a-arms. I have a set I bought a few years ago brand new and they are still in awesome shape and ride smooth and plush.

chronicsmoke
09-18-2013, 06:00 AM
See if you can find some used a-arms and save some coin that way.. You can probably get them cheaper than ASR and they'll be of better quality.

Have 450r shocks built to match, or even have them built for stock arms and forget about arms. The arms are nice EVERYWHERE it's not super tight though. I ran a XC race @ 50" wide with my 450 and did fine lol.

KKiowaTJ
09-18-2013, 07:08 PM
I have a buddy who does suspensions so ill most likely have him do it all. Id like to stick with the 450r's so its a Honda part at least. He triple rated a buddys for a decent price. If all else fails, I can run them 'as is' for a bit, Has to be better than the stockers.

The arms, Im going to try a 2/3 wheel up front and get the axle and see how I like that. I know it opens up wear and the brake parts, But I can flip them if I don't like it or just too wide. Seems like a middle of the road option and I need the axle anyway lol. Thanks for the opinions and advice.