PDA

View Full Version : What quad

Jason
09-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Hi everyone. I am 16 and have had my raptor 350 for 3.5 years now and I am getting to the point that I want more power. I would just get some performance parts but by the time I throw a bunch of money into it, I may as well just upgrade. I will be spending my money so I want the upgrade to be worth my while. I do not want to need to upgrade in another year or two. My only requirements are reverse and more power. I ride everything from fire roads to slow, rocky trails. I have been looking for a little bit and I am starting to like the Polaris Outlaw 525IRS and the Honda 700xx. I have heard opinions about the machines. I read the comparison thread on the machines and I am leaning towards the 700xx. I am still unsure about the weight though. I would need to try one to figure it out. I was also considering the KFX450r and the raptor 700. I am stuck. Any thoughts?

CJM
09-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Both are very heavy quads, specially the 700. You dont need reverse on most things, just spin around cause you have the power in the larger quads. I never had reverse and never had an issue. If you cant turn around thru the woods you gun it and spin around in place no issue.

I suggest a Honda 450, most reliable, simplest and easiest to work on. It will be a HUGE leap up from your 350 raptor (warrior). Only other one with reverse is the KFX450 but they need frontend tweaking to make them stable at speed.

blacknblue#2
09-17-2013, 06:03 AM
They are heavy quads. and Ill agree at 16 reverse is useless. spin that sucker around or if your in an area where you cant do that then hop off, grab the "grab" bar and throw it around. When i was 16 that was the stuff i liked doing. Reverse on a 400EX when i was 16 would have made me feel lazy haha. But now at my age i have to admit i have looked pretty hard at 700XX's quite a few times. Doing nothing but trail riding anymore i think the independant rear suspension would be sweet. But im far from 16 anymore. Lets just say when i was 16 If you had a 400EX you were envied by many haha Whatever you do dont buy polaris IMO.

beastlywarrior
09-17-2013, 06:10 AM
the only other quad I like more than my warrior is the z400s. all around one of the best quads

beastlywarrior
09-17-2013, 08:01 AM
That being said, I absolutley hate stock 350s anymore after being on mine for so long with an actual decent suspension and power

Mtndew99
09-17-2013, 10:28 AM
I would go with the kfx450 I hear bad and good about them mostly electrical problems but even a trx450 once u ride a day without reverse u won't miss reverse on a sport quad it's almost never useful

2001400exrida
09-17-2013, 12:35 PM
You dont need reverse on most things, just spin around cause you have the power in the larger quads. I never had reverse and never had an issue. If you cant turn around thru the woods you gun it and spin around in place no issue.

You ever try to spin around a 700xx? IRS does not spin around like a straight axle does. You will want reverse on a quad like the 700xx

I suggest a Honda 450, most reliable, simplest and easiest to work on. It will be a HUGE leap up from your 350 raptor (warrior). Only other one with reverse is the KFX450 but they need frontend tweaking to make them stable at speed.

400ex's have reverse and are arguably more reliable than the 450's. A 400 will be more more power than your old raptor too, so if you're not look for the fastest quad check out the 400's 05 and newer.

Jason
09-17-2013, 01:37 PM
I considered getting a 400ex because my dad has one but it is not enough of a power jump. I want the extra power to last me a while. I was considering getting a 400ex and getting a 440 kit for it but I heard that they will barely keep up with stock 450r's. By the time I would spend the money I would be better off getting a 450r also. I am still not sold on the idea of not having reverse. I use reverse every ride and use it to get unstuck. My dad agreed that he would not want to go without reverse either. I am still liking the idea of having IRS. I scrape the swing-arm a lot on the really rocky trails even when i choose the best lines. I have skid plates but it still bugs me.

thanks for the responses

jcs003
09-17-2013, 03:16 PM
get a trx250r. no reverse but very light and powerful. easy to work on and repair. the best quad ever produced.

john

wfo4rv
09-17-2013, 05:02 PM
250r or 450r , if you plan on racing a 450r will be a better bet but for trail riding 250r any day

HondaRacing83
09-17-2013, 05:55 PM
kfx 450 dude hands down they get a bad wrap but i like them

zyoung04
09-18-2013, 01:28 AM
If u want reverse then its hard to steer away from the kfx. But those things feel like ur sitting on a camel hump to me, just aren't very comfy but im a taller guy and like my space. I wouldn't buy a Polaris either if u wanted one the IRS models id look at the 700xx. Honda parts are way cheaper than Ktm parts. The newer z400s I think are nice, their FI and have reverse and the old ones were dependable and rode well compared to 400exthe I thought. If I was to do nothing but trail ride now days that's probably what I would get.

zyoung04
09-18-2013, 02:10 AM
If u want reverse then its hard to steer away from the kfx. But those things feel like ur sitting on a camel hump to me, just aren't very comfy but im a taller guy and like my space. I wouldn't buy a Polaris either if u wanted one the IRS models id look at the 700xx. Honda parts are way cheaper than Ktm parts. The newer z400s I think are nice, their FI and have reverse and the old ones were dependable and rode well compared to 400exthe I thought. If I was to do nothing but trail ride now days that's probably what I would get.

blacknblue#2
09-18-2013, 04:51 AM

Easy Zac....We heard ya the first time hahhahaha

HondaRacing83
09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Idk where your located but a dealership by me you can uy a brand new kfx for $4999 out the door

Jason
09-19-2013, 08:56 AM
That does sound like a good deal. That is not much more than my dad paid for his 07 400ex in 2008. I am however looking for something around $3000-$3500. I am concerned about the maintenance requirements on a 450. I have heard that they require a lot of maintenance including an oil change every ride or every other ride. Is this true? How much maintenance does a 450 require compared to, say, a 400 or a 700? Also, How is a raptor 700 compared to a kfx450. I have heard that the raptors are top heavy. I am going to decide which straight axle quad I would get and Which IRS quad i would get. I will then decide between the two. The 700xx is still pretty appealing to me. There were 3 people with 700xxs on the last ride I went on and they really seemed to like them.

thanks

chronicsmoke
09-19-2013, 09:01 AM
That does sound like a good deal. That is not much more than my dad paid for his 07 400ex in 2008. I am however looking for something around $3000-$3500. I am concerned about the maintenance requirements on a 450. I have heard that they require a lot of maintenance including an oil change every ride or every other ride. Is this true? How much maintenance does a 450 require compared to, say, a 400 or a 700? Also, How is a raptor 700 compared to a kfx450. I have heard that the raptors are top heavy. I am going to decide which straight axle quad I would get and Which IRS quad i would get. I will then decide between the two. The 700xx is still pretty appealing to me. There were 3 people with 700xxs on the last ride I went on and they really seemed to like them.

thanks

if you become familair with the regular maintenance, it's really not bad. I change my oil a little exessively, but I am harder on my engine than a typical trail rider.

If you're just going out to have fun with the guys in the trails, don't let the maintenance of a 450 fool you.. just don't abuse it (50 hour oil changes, put away dirty, ect) treat it right and it will treat your wallet right.. well until you get the aftermarket itch :rolleyes:

2001400exrida
09-19-2013, 10:17 AM
450's don't require oil changes but every 10 hours or so. many do it prior just to play it safe. the added maintenance on the honda 450's is that you have 2 seperate oils. one for the tranny and one for the motor. this means you have to drain and fill them seperate so it takes a little longer. 450's vs 400's also have coolant where as the 400ex's do not. 700xx are great for what they are.

ain't nothing worng with putting a quad away dirty, the problem is when you put it away wet.

Jason
09-20-2013, 11:54 AM
If I have to change the oil every 10 hours, I ham going to have to change it after every ride or 2. The group I ride with rides from 9-5 at least. If I would not change the oil every ride, it would be due for changing in the middle of the ride and I would end up going 6 hours over.

Flyin_250r
09-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Any quad is only going to be as good as its maintained. That's the key a lot of the time to keeping things reliable

HondaRacing83
09-21-2013, 09:23 AM
700 raptors are pretty nice. Idk ive never been a fan of the 700xx

wilkin250r
09-21-2013, 11:13 AM
I've never really understood the "need" for power. A 400EX is capable of 60+ miles per hour, which is plenty fast enough for any trail I've ever ridden. I'm a fairly aggressive rider, and the only places I've found a 400EX didn't have enough power to climb were places I was honestly too afraid to climb, like honestly life-threatening. (that's power, traction is another issue). The only time I would say you actually "need" more power than a 400EX is in the sand. Power is fun, I'll admit, but it's not a "need".

I had a 250x, and yes, I needed more power. And I REALLY needed better suspension. But I ain't no slouch on the throttle, and I've never found a need for more power than a 400EX.

wfo4rv
09-21-2013, 11:15 AM
I've never really understood the "need" for power. A 400EX is capable of 60+ miles per hour, which is plenty fast enough for any trail I've ever ridden. I'm a fairly aggressive rider, and the only places I've found a 400EX didn't have enough power to climb were places I was honestly too afraid to climb, like honestly life-threatening. (that's power, traction is another issue). The only time I would say you actually "need" more power than a 400EX is in the sand. Power is fun, I'll admit, but it's not a "need".

Agreed, xc, trails, even smaller mx courses a 400ex will hold its own. However in the desert or sand it will lack. A 400ex would suit you well and if you ever outgrow the power it is a good platform for a hybrid build.

CJM
09-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Agreed, xc, trails, even smaller mx courses a 400ex will hold its own. However in the desert or sand it will lack. A 400ex would suit you well and if you ever outgrow the power it is a good platform for a hybrid build.

I rode a 400ex for year sin the sand. It did ok but as many have said it lacks power, all of the upgrades I did to make it faster (and there were alot) worked well but in the end you trade reliability for power. My 04 450 so far with just a cam, exhaust and higher comp piston (heck even stock with just an exhaust) runs circles around my 400. If I was riding woods/trails only the 400 is what I would want tho, good torque/power and very simple to use. Plus the nice tractor like idling along really can come in handy.

Blodg
09-21-2013, 04:07 PM
I agree with wilkin250r and wfof4 in that a 400EX has more than enough power for a trail quad. It doesn't make sense that you say the 400EX isn't enough of a power jump and you are interested in a 700xx when a 400EX with a good setup will beat a 700xx in the woods. Who cares which quad is faster in an open field or on the road? I ride with some 450 quads and several 250f and 450 dirt bikes and guys much younger than me and I am faster than every one of them in the woods on my 400EX. Personally there is no way I would ever consider a 700xx or Raptor 700 for a true trail quad because handling is just as important or more than how fast the motor is.

CaptainCanuck
09-21-2013, 06:26 PM
I have a raptor 700 and I'd highly recommend one coming from the 350. I had a 400ex previously, which I absolutely loved, but I wanted more. My Raptor has a programmer, a slip on, and a 15t front sprocket and it gives the rush of power that I love. It's good in trails, very reliable, and very customizable to your needs. I also love the raptors styling compared to a lot of the 450's, aside from a yfz which I like a little better. But I think that you will be happy no matter what you buy and I hope you find what you're looking for. Cheers

rf928
09-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Its not the quad, its how you ride. I am in the same boat, I am most likely going to end up with a YFZR just because harvest is going so well, but am also considering saving some $$ and buying a 250R. Heck a Grizzly 700 is the only thing I classify as a trail quad :P

wilkin250r
09-21-2013, 11:52 PM
And I say first, you need to be honest with yourself. What do you need that extra power for? If every time you get on an open road you and your buddies all have to whip out your wangs and measure up, and if that truly is important to you, then spend the extra money and get yourself a big quad with a big motor.

The 700xx is a beast at over 500lbs. I realize it has almost 20hp over a stock 400EX, but it's also got over 100lbs on it as well. That's a lot of extra weight to be lugging around, and really slows down a quad. If you want to test the power/weight argument, pit a 120hp CBR900 streetbike against a 400HP Corvette, and that corvette will never see anything but the dust from that streetbike. Why build an extra 20hp of motor just to move an extra 100lbs worth of quad? Now, if you were interested in the independent rear suspension of the 700xx, then that's a different discussion.

Are you a really big guy? That's the only reason I can see to looking towards the bigger quads. I've been around quite a few years, and the pattern I generally see is that aggressive riders tend to have more fun on the lighter, sporty quads. The laid-back riders (often the "older" riders) tend to enjoy the bigger quads. Personally, I fit the aggressive rider pattern. I would have more fun on a little 250X than I would a 700XX, even though the 250X will have far less power, it will be much easier to flick around, push around, and maneuver. If I wanted something big and heavy, I would just get a utility quad.

At 16, and looking for "power", I just get the impression that you're an aggressive rider. I think you're going to be much happier on a light, nimble machine, even if you have to sacrifice power, and even if you have to sacrifice (god-forbid) reverse. I could be wrong, the 700xx might be the exact thing you're looking for. But before you spend all our hard-earned cash, you should really do some soul-searching on what's important, and analyze your riding style to find out what you're truly looking for in a quad. Don't spend thousands of dollars just to satisfy a silly checklist of "power" and "reverse".

HondaRacing83
09-22-2013, 08:45 AM
I deff want a 450 my 400 doesnt have near the power on hills and such

CJM
09-22-2013, 04:50 PM
I deff want a 450 my 400 doesnt have near the power on hills and such

Once I slapped the hi comp piston in and did the hotcam, exhaust and open airbox it certainly had enough to climb 4 story sand hills. Thing is the 450 even in stock form does it better b/c the power is snappier overall

wfo4rv
09-22-2013, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=CJM;4350110]Once I slapped the hi comp piston in and did the hotcam, exhaust and open airbox it certainly had enough to climb 4 story sand hills. Thing is the 450 even in stock form does it better b/c the power is snappier overall[/

The 450's rev a lot faster, i think if the 400's could build rpms faster they would be just a good as any 450. But they are an outdated air-cooled motor so that wont ever happen lol

CJM
09-22-2013, 08:43 PM
The 450's rev a lot faster, i think if the 400's could build rpms faster they would be just a good as any 450. But they are an outdated air-cooled motor so that wont ever happen lol
The white bros revbox fixed that issue on my 400, but overall the 450 still made more power quicker.

mineralgrey01gt
10-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Here is my take on my first quad till now and you can understand the difference I had in between them.

1st quad I owned I built a 1986 trx250r from the frame up. Great quad and plenty fast and more than enough power. it had a 38mm carb, lrd exhaust, port work with a 85 atc engine on it, all aftermarket set up besides the shocks arms and frame. This particular one did not like the trails but it was set up for mx (sort of) and had too low of ground clearance. Now i could just spin it around with complete ease or if i had to pick it up and move it I could as it was lighter than any 450 out there.

2nd quad was a 2002 400ex. Fun quad but after having the 250r it was never enough power. I had a 416 bore on it and cammed with full exhaust, 450r carb and it just never satisfied me power wise, any other way it was good quad and virtually bulletproof. I had it set up for mx also but it had ground clearance so it was still useful in the trails. I wouldnt waste my money on one again after owning other quads unless it was strictly for something to beat the hell out of.

3rd quad was a yamaha banshee. We all know what they are good for. it would haul some serious butt in a straight line but as far as trails thats a big NO.

4th quad was a suzuki ltr450. Again set up for mx and was cammed, exhaust, cherry bomb, filter, and a few other things. It had more than enough power to do anything I ever wanted to do with it. I also did some minor trail riding but the suspension on them stock is really nice. Im 210lbs and i took it on a mx track once and hit all the jumps with no problem on stock suspension, never bottomed out. I would recommend one of these for anyone or another 450 besides the kfx450, heard nothing but horror stories about them and not just from people online.

current quad is another 1986 trx250r. Minor port work done and just little other odds and ends like carb, pipe, the normal stuff for these. Has more seat of the pants feel of power than my 450 did up top. It has a higher ground clearance so if you can ride a 2 stroke then it would be an excellent choice.

2001400exrida
10-14-2013, 09:45 AM
The way i've got my 450 running right now. My 2002 426cc ex will climb hills with a much better feel. THe 400's just has so much power and hand. 1000rpm you can pound the throttle and a 400 will throw you on your back. I'd much prefer to climb hills on my 400ex than my 450. course the 450 is lowered and setup for TT, but still i really think the 400 is a great trail machine.