PDA

View Full Version : 2003 kawasaki kfx 80 problems.

lt1
09-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Hello . was wondering if i could get some pointers here. I recently purchased an 03 Kfx 80 [ not running ] for my son in hopes of getting it running but so far no luck. Here is what I have done at this point. Carb has been cleaned, new rings have been installed, new petcock, flushed out exhaust pipe. Now to the problems... The bike starts after a lot of turning over but, then once running it only goes a few mph and constantly bogs down. Once or twice it has hit the power band then back to bogging. It is getting spark as well, one more thing , its also leaking oil while running to the point its seeps out of all the plastic duct shroud that wraps around the head and out of drain hole on the bottom of that shroud. So here we go, loss of power and hard starting followed by a leak. Any help would be greeeeeaaaatly appeciated :) lt1

LT80
09-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Welcome to the forums.
You need to find out what's leaking. Nothing should be able to leak from the head and/or base gasket.
Find that, also see if the carb is leaking fuel out.
I'd like to know what the compression is now.

lt1
10-15-2013, 11:30 PM
First, thanks lt80.... It took me several weeks but I did find the leak... Crankshaft bearing seal had come out. i ordered a new one installed it and it is running however it still only runs about 15 mph... noticed around where exhaust meets the header it is seeping which i guess means it is running rich ? Right before the tank runs out of gas [ only right before] it hits the powerband and runs great, this thing has me stumped, any help would be appreciated, the atv looks brand new, cleaned an already clean carb twice. Any suggestions ? Also it will go through a half a tank of gas in twenty minutes at that speed with no visible leaks. Hope this helps and again thank YOU for your help.

LT80
10-16-2013, 06:58 AM
No way it should be going thru that much gas in 20 min.
Hmmmmmmm...

lt1
10-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Ok did a compression test, its reading 120... anyone know what it should be ?