PDA

View Full Version : Stays running with key and switch off

paintslinga
09-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Like the title says, my 400ex stays running after I turn off the key and killswitch. I bought the quad not running so Im not sure what it could be. The wiring does not appear to be messed with. I cleaned the ground up behind the coil and its the same. not sure where to turn next. I followed every wire and none appear to be melted or butchered. Are there any other grounds beside the one behind the coil and the battery one? I saw a picture of another 400 head and there apears to be a ground under the larger bolt on the headcover. I have nothing here. Any ideas? Thanks

Drifterboy3
09-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Double check your key trace the 4wires down to where they connect with the harness 1 splits off and is a bullet connector. The other three stay together in one connector. That 4th wire may be your problem. As far as the head ground I have an 03 with nothing like that. Hope this helps!

paintslinga
09-16-2013, 07:26 AM
I traced the wires and checked the connections. Found nothing. Everything else on the bike works as it should. It will start with the killswitch in the off position but will not start with the key off. When I turn the key off while running, the neutral lift shuts off but the engine keeps running.

Drifterboy3
09-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Part of your problem could be a bad kill switch I had to take mine apart and sprayed brake cleaner in there. Other than that I'm lost. Do you have a wiring diagram

paintslinga
09-16-2013, 12:18 PM
It has to be something related to the two. Should the icm be grounded somewhere?

Drifterboy3
09-16-2013, 12:26 PM
The coil? Mine has two green wires one with a white stripe. Both grounded right under the coil

Text me and I can send pictures of the wiring diagram from my Honda manual 5135517834

81dasher81
09-16-2013, 01:54 PM
mine did this.. and sometimes it would just randomly start up in my shop.. i ended up rewiring the kill switch and starter button, and replaced the old one with just a button instead of the whole assembly.. a couple of wires were shorted out on mine

paintslinga
09-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Do you remember where they were shorted at? Or did you just replace them all?

paintslinga
09-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Still struggling with this. I think what I really need to figure out is which of these wires is the one that grounds the coil/icm. The black and white wire is good all the way up.

81dasher81
09-30-2013, 04:02 AM
sorry i forgot to reply to that.. mine were shorted between the assembly on the handlebars and where they plug into the rest of the wiring harness.. water got in the jacket holding the wires at some point and i think thats what did it for me.