PDA

View Full Version : No electrical power? Help!

Codynetz634
09-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Just did a complete rebuild on my motor. Put it back in the frame and hooked everything up but I have no power to neutral lights or anything else. The battery tested good and I swapped them out also. Both good. I tried to jump it at the solenoid and it sparks but doesn't turn over the starter. Not sure what the problem could be. Kinda stumped on this one. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

DnB_racing
09-08-2013, 07:34 PM
did you check the fuse?
and what did you disconnect when taking motor out? did you reconnect the ground wire at the starter?
im not sure if you played with connections but check to make sure everything is plugged in where it belongs/

if non of this does the fix then I will need more details on exactly what you did,
but if you just removed motor and didn't paint frame or unplug any other connections, then it has to be one of the connectors you unplugged or a ground or the fuse

EDIT:: after rereading your first post ...you said you jumper the starter solenoid and the starter didn't move? if this is a correct statement it can only be a bad ground, or a wire not connected at the starter, both the positive and negative wires go to the starter, so if you jumped the solenoid and no starter drive spin you must not have hooked up both wires, I would guess the ground

Codynetz634
09-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the fast response. Both the ground and starter wires are connected. I never painted the frame. The only thing unplugged was the connections for the stator. I'll have to double check and make sure everything is connected correctly. I'm just really stumped why the starter won't even spin. Jumping it should take everything out of the picture.

DnB_racing
09-08-2013, 08:44 PM
it would have to be the ground its the only thing that would not allow any lights and no starter spin when jumping solenoid

Codynetz634
09-08-2013, 08:55 PM
I did simplify the harness because I don't have a taillight or whole starter button kills witch cluster on the bars. I just use a dirtbike style kill switch for the start. I've had this setup for a long time all I did was take them wires out.

DnB_racing
09-08-2013, 09:00 PM
I did simplify the harness because I don't have a taillight or whole starter button kills witch cluster on the bars. I just use a dirtbike style kill switch for the start. I've had this setup for a long time all I did was take them wires out.LOL why is it there is always more to the story? that could change everything...next time give all details...
make sure when key is on you have power to the switch,
we may need a better description of which wires were removed

Codynetz634
09-08-2013, 09:04 PM
I used a wiring diagram to make sure that I was removing the correct wires. What could I have done to make the starter still not Spin when jumped?

Codynetz634
09-08-2013, 09:18 PM
I removed the stock killswitch, headlight switch/dimmer, killswitch. Which all of these were cut with no more connector sense I've had the quad. The starter switch is spliced into the wiring from the stock one. Then I finally removed the taillight wiring.

DnB_racing
09-09-2013, 03:10 PM
unless the starter is junk it should spin ...that is as long as you hooked up both the positive lead to the starter terminal and the negative ground to the mounting bolt on the starter. If you jump across the solenoid it takes everything else out of the equation,

unless somehow you insulated the ground with a extra gasket were it doesn't belong or dielectric grease were it doesn't belong

the starter should spin when jumping the solenoid your putting 12volts directly to the starter, it can only be a bad ground or a wire not hooked up or a bad starter drive,,,

it should be simple to find the answer just check with meter if you have 12 volts to starter with solenoid jumped if you do and its not spinning its a bad starter
if you don't have voltage then you didn't hook something up right or ground properly

Codynetz634
09-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the good info. I'm for sure the starter is hooked up correctly and grounded correctly. I'll give you an update after this. I really appreciate your help.

Codynetz634
09-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Jumped it with a meter on it with no 12 volts at the starter and ground is connected to the base of the starter and hot wire to terminal on starter

DnB_racing
09-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Jumped it with a meter on it with no 12 volts at the starter and ground is connected to the base of the starter and hot wire to terminal on starter

you have some thing wrong!! its either a bad battery a broken wire or connection or a missing ground,,it all right here in less the a foot of wiring ,

look better your missing something

Codynetz634
09-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Made sure all the connections were good tired to jump the starter again and now it's reading volts way higher than just 12volts at the starter. I even tried hooking a battery charger to the starter itself but didnt turn. I'm still confused why I don't have any neutral light either. Battery reads 12.76 volts

DnB_racing
09-13-2013, 05:29 PM
did you ever check to see if you have 12 volts with key on to the black starter wire like I asked in #6 response?