PDA

View Full Version : Need help/ advice/ tips or anything on setting up clutch

JoePA
09-05-2013, 10:23 AM
I have a air cooled DRR 50 that has no engine. I managed to pick up a complete engine from a scooter. I know I'll have to get a slipper sproket for it and maybe a few other things but I'm sure the clutch setup for that scooter is different than the quad. What weights, springs, etc do I need to get this thing to run in the proper RPM on the quad? I didn't get the engine yet so I can't say that I've tried the current setup.

Also would it be best to remove the oil injection and just go premix? I would rather do the premix thing but if I do what all needs to be removed?

Thanks
joe

nastynotchback1
09-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Scooter engines will not normally work in the quads.The are made different at the rear.If it will fit then let us know what pipe you are running and then we could get you close on the clutch set-up.

JoePA
09-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Everything looked identical to the bottomend I have other than possibly the output shaft. I'll get a pic of the pipe that came with the quad.

JoePA
09-10-2013, 05:30 AM
OK, engine cme in last night and waiting on the slipper sprocket. I'll take a pick of the exhaust and the current drive setup and hopefully get something close as there are three races left in the season. Also, any issues removing the oil injection setup and going premix?

JoePA
09-11-2013, 05:31 PM

This is what I have to work with. Not sure what the pipe is for...50 or a 90.

JoePA
09-12-2013, 09:29 AM
ok, not much responce but lots of lurkers...thats OK. If you feel your CVT setup is secrect I'm OK with a PM too.

I've been doing some reading and I see rollers or Dr. pully sliders. If so which one? If I go with rollers there are many choices. I'm thinking smaller in weight like the 2.75 rollers. If I go slides I have two choices and my guess would be 4 grams.

So how about the spring for the clutch...1500 sound right?

Gearing I'm going to go with 19/30 for now and see how that works out.

Where is a good place to get slipper sprocket pads cheap?

#404's Dad
09-12-2013, 10:01 AM
That's a DRR50 pipe, not too desirable. Yes Eliminate the oil injection. A good clutch setup is like gold and most won't share their secrets including myself but I would think a good starting setup would be a yamasida variator with 3-3.5 rollers and shimmed out correctly with a stock belt and a light 1500 spring with an adjustable rear clutch would get ya headed in the right direction providing the rest of your setup isn't too off the wall.

JoePA
09-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the advice and i understand the secret part of it as When I set up the 450's I have my carb tricks and other engine goodies that get installed but tell no one about!!!

What is a better pipr than the DRR50 but won't break the bank? I heard the 90 is better.

fomospede
09-12-2013, 11:52 AM
90 pipe is better or a pcs
vent the cvt cover over the clutch to release heat
107mm adjustable clutch
21mm carb or smaller
gearing correctly will make the whole job easier !
considering you assume you need that slipper sprocket @ a 19 tooth run a 35 rear
hope this helps

JoePA
09-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Outstanding fomospede!! Those are the things I need. Just an idea to get this thing around the track at a decent pace. previous owner must have run a bigbore setup cuz I have two carbs and i think one is a 21mm and the other is a 24mm.

ontargetracing
09-12-2013, 01:42 PM
I have a DRR slipper sprocket that needs new discs that I would sell real cheap.. pm me if you want it. sorry I cant help you with the 50 setup, we never ran one.

JoePA
09-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Thank you for the offer on the slipper sprocket. I got one from eBay but haven't received it yet. If I don't get it soon I'll be in contact with you.

I went through my box of things that I got with the quad and found the old clutch setup. It has a 1500 spring and 2000 smaller springs that hold the clutch plates together. It also has a KOSO high performance clutch housing??? Maybe you guys can shed some light on that? I also have a koso 21mm carb. Where can I get jets for that carb? Got a bunch of other goddiea I never knew I had. Can't wait to get it up and running. Thanks again everyone for your help!

bone1980
09-13-2013, 07:24 PM
pm u