PDA

View Full Version : Still on the a arms subject.....Please no outher subjects.

jarfly
09-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Okey since my fist post cought the 3 o clock to fail town.

OK I know I want to go with the adjustable camber.. I have got a plane to do this in my head but my major thing is on the numbers on how to do it. How do I find out what caster and all that stuff.. I would love to know how to do this, im wanting to order parts asap. I got my quads cam/rockers to night and am tareing it down to paint it.

400man
09-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Okey since my fist post cought the 3 o clock to fail town.

OK I know I want to go with the adjustable camber.. I have got a plane to do this in my head but my major thing is on the numbers on how to do it. How do I find out what caster and all that stuff.. I would love to know how to do this, im wanting to order parts asap. I got my quads cam/rockers to night and am tareing it down to paint it.

i would suggest looking at all the different aftermarket a-arm designs and find one thats simple to copy and build. for the camber, you just need to use a ball joint thats fully threaded and a lock nut so u can adjust how far it comes out of the a-arm. then you can adjust it once they are mounted on the frame

Baileygunns
09-04-2013, 10:20 PM
GT Thunder makes a kit... You can YouTube it and find videos on how to do the mod yourself.

400man
09-05-2013, 12:26 AM
GT Thunder makes a kit... You can YouTube it and find videos on how to do the mod yourself.

HAA! I had no idea there was a video showing how to do that? Im thinking about going back to stock a-arms later on so I can do a little better on the tighter trails and such. That will come in handy when I want to upgrade the upper a-arms so I can adjust the camber.

thanks

81dasher81
09-05-2013, 04:30 AM
sorry your last thread turned out like that.. i hope they don't fight like that at home.. lol

from american star, you can buy ball joint heims for around 115, if i were you i'd also use 1/2 in heims from either midwest control or ballistic fabrication at the frame for the upper aarms, in order to provide adjustment, incase you don't have them 100% perfect. i just made some weld in bungs, that fit the ID of the tubing, with a shoulder that matched the OD. also, you'll need to figure out what shock-wheel travel ratio you want in order to have it help you out at all. i used a 2:1 wheel travel to shock travel ratio.

2001400exrida
09-05-2013, 06:06 AM
jet suspension also has a kit or can do the work for around $100. They'll cut the arms and put new ball joints with adjustable camber/caster on them.

KKiowaTJ
09-05-2013, 09:01 PM
jet suspension also has a kit or can do the work for around $100. They'll cut the arms and put new ball joints with adjustable camber/caster on them.

I looked on their site and found nothing but suspension etc, Do you happen to know or a ballpark price of the kit? If they will do all the work and you save half the $$, If there was a problem or accident it would lay with them, As they did the work. I wouldn't mind the extension as much if a reputable company like jet does the conversion.

Id still feel better with 'new' and built for that from scratch, But with a small funding and needing an axle as it is don't help along with a set of front shocks, Pogo's gotta go.

JOHNDOE83
09-06-2013, 01:44 PM
My suggestion would be to find the ball joints and stuff you need to make it work.

Then get your metal together and start building, keeping in mind that your gonna need it reinforced at the ball joints for drilling and taping+support later on.

Build both sides exactly the same but leaving room for error and adjustment.

Once youve got it to the point of installing ball joints, have a machine shop drill it out accuratly for you for best results. You might possibly wanna build the a arms leaving the ball joint mount and support the only thing not welded on, then go to a machine shop and see if they need to drill and tap it before you weld it together or after....:bandit:

Ive been to the machine shop for custom motorcycle and atv parts alot recently, can you tell....lol.

The last thread had a pic of cut a arms with bigger tubing overlapped and welded strong, that might also be a easier option. Easy because were you cut doesnt matter as long as theres good meat left for welding and if you cut the extension tubes EXACT length then weld it everything should already match up other then tierods.

Also with cutting and extending the stock a arms, they could be sent to jet and install the adjutables like 2001400exrider said.

For more info on custom a arms go to www.atvdragracers.com and www.sandslingers.com they build a arms all the time and post it in threads.

Still after expenses, shipping, parts, time, labor, might not be perfect....etc. A brand new set of full flights on ebay for $400 sounds pretty good.

KKiowaTJ
09-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Ive had my eye on the ASR ones which look one in the same. I like heim joints, Easy to keep up on, If you keep up on them. But I have read not so good on quads. But for the money, If they are crap, I can always buy ball joints and convert them. But needing an axle puts this one on the back burner.