PDA

View Full Version : Best desert option

wfo4rv
09-03-2013, 11:01 AM
So here's the deal I'm looking for a built desert quad and have narrowed it down to 3 options. 1. A lightly used 450r with elka stage 5 all around, pro armor nerfs, itp baja wit razr x tires. And exhaust + fluidyne radiator for 6000. Second is an almost brand new 450r with lt elka triple rate fronts, repring and valves rear, new omf beadlocks, new X factor nerfs, and an exhaust -4500 last is one of josh casters built 700xx's freshly rebuild- stage 5 elkas and all the other goodies- 6500. Any opinions on what I should get for a c class xc/desert racer?? Thanks all opinions are appreciated

turdboy
09-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Get one that can do wheelies and is loud

Big Red Hammer
09-03-2013, 11:01 PM
I'd say go for the 700xx. you'll love the independent rear suspension and added ground clearance for xc racing. although the 450r has made it's mark in desert and xc. You can't go wrong whichever way you go.

KKiowaTJ
09-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Id go with the first 450r. A solid axle IMO feels more stable at high speeds in sand and loose surfaces. Like mentioned its tried and true in the desert etc so all you would need is to fine tune it to you're liking. Good luck either way

CJM
09-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I ride what I equate to as desert conditions (sand, hard packed sandy soil, trails, dunes, etc). What everyone rides is pretty much a 400cc or 450cc machine. The people who specifically set the quads up to race around out there always buy suspension first and then work on the motor. I myself am waiting for winter to break my quad down and do +1 arms, and a GT Thunder MX link (more suited to the whoops out where I ride, but an XC link works too!) and revalved shocks. I already have the motor work done and a steering stabilizer too.

D Bergstrom
09-04-2013, 01:55 PM
What type of "desert racing" are you doing? SCORE/BITD/D37/WORCS, etc? If it is the more wide open stuff, then I would pick the 700XX, it works really well in that type of terrain. Tighter, more technical stuff, 450R all the way. Now as far as the two 450R's you are looking at, hard to day without more info. What years are they? If one was a 04 or 05 model, that is the one I would pick hands down, just feel they are better. (Stronger trans, oil cooler, etc.) If they are both 06 or newer models, then I would say pick the one that has the best suspension for what you are planning on racing in. Suspension is the most important thing in my opinion.

Doug

wfo4rv
09-04-2013, 03:56 PM
What type of "desert racing" are you doing? SCORE/BITD/D37/WORCS, etc? If it is the more wide open stuff, then I would pick the 700XX, it works really well in that type of terrain. Tighter, more technical stuff, 450R all the way. Now as far as the two 450R's you are looking at, hard to day without more info. What years are they? If one was a 04 or 05 model, that is the one I would pick hands down, just feel they are better. (Stronger trans, oil cooler, etc.) If they are both 06 or newer models, then I would say pick the one that has the best suspension for what you are planning on racing in. Suspension is the most important thing in my opinion.

Doug

Hi Doug, they are both 05 and I will be doing a mix of d37 and bitd. Of the two 450r s one has trample rate elkas the other has stage 5. So should I spend 1500 more for the better shocks?

D Bergstrom
09-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Hi Doug, they are both 05 and I will be doing a mix of d37 and bitd. Of the two 450r s one has trample rate elkas the other has stage 5. So should I spend 1500 more for the better shocks?

I would get the best suspension I could afford. Hard to tell what 450R I would get without actually seeing them. Do either have a-arms or aftermarket rear linkage? If both do, the I would get the one with the Stage 5 Elka's. If they don't then I would get the cheaper one. Figure you will at a min get a-arms, then you may need to buy new shocks. No reason to buy the best when you are just going to replace it anyway.

Since you will be racing some D37, I would probably go with a 450R over a 700XX, I feel the 450R is a better "all around" quad. A 700XX is a big, heavy quad to have to manhandle though technical stuff, I like the 450R ALOT better for that type of terrain. If I could only own one quad, my choice would be a 450R.

Doug

wfo4rv
09-07-2013, 02:52 PM
I would get the best suspension I could afford. Hard to tell what 450R I would get without actually seeing them. Do either have a-arms or aftermarket rear linkage? If both do, the I would get the one with the Stage 5 Elka's. If they don't then I would get the cheaper one. Figure you will at a min get a-arms, then you may need to buy new shocks. No reason to buy the best when you are just going to replace it anyway.

Since you will be racing some D37, I would probably go with a 450R over a 700XX, I feel the 450R is a better "all around" quad. A 700XX is a big, heavy quad to have to manhandle though technical stuff, I like the 450R ALOT better for that type of terrain. If I could only own one quad, my choice would be a 450R.

Doug

Ok, thanks! I still haven't fully decided but since I will be racing some d37 and xc type races a 450 is probably better. I think I'm going to go with the one with stage fives I couldn't see my self satisfied with the cheap triple rates. Thanks! Ryan.