PDA

View Full Version : Custom axis compression adjustment

450madman
08-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Is there any way to adjust compression on these shocks? They were just serviced before I purchased them. When installed on my trx 250R, one shock bottoms out when I push down on the front of my R. I was told that I need to adjust the compression. The only adjustment I see is a red 8 click knob on the remote reservoir. I was told that it's for rebound. I can return the shocks if I need to , but they are nice shocks and I would like to see if its an easy adjustment or fix. Thanks

CADWELL
09-01-2013, 06:58 AM
That red knob on the resi is the compression adjust. Rebound adjusters are always located at the bottom of the shock shaft between the bottom eyelet and the spring seat.

If one of your shocks is bottoming out without much resistance compared to the other I'd have to guess the nitrogen might have leaked out of the bleeder valve of the resi.

450madman
09-01-2013, 05:42 PM
This is my second set of used shocks from ebay that have given me problems. I paid $320. Do you think it's worth it to try to fix the one that's bad?

CADWELL
09-01-2013, 06:33 PM
This is my second set of used shocks from ebay that have given me problems. I paid $320. Do you think it's worth it to try to fix the one that's bad?

I think that is a great deal on those shocks. When someone that is selling shocks says that they were"just" rebuilt, it's open for interpretation. That could mean 1 year ago, 6 months ago or 1 month ago with 6 rides on them etc...

You could take them or send them to someone like Custom Axis, Hygear, DFR etc to rebuild them which typically includes a revalve for your specs and service. It usually runs about $80-&100 per shock depending on who does them. It's very well worth it though, essentially you'd have a fresh pair of shocks that will fit your exact needs for you and your quad.

Hell you may even be able to just have them charged up with nitro, you'd just need to find out the specs.

wilkin250r
09-01-2013, 07:13 PM
And yes, it is WELL worth the cost and hassle to have it fixed. Many people buy a complete set of shocks in perfect working order and they STILL pay to have them serviced and set up for their exact needs.

450madman
09-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Thanks guys

LeGaCyGiAnT124
09-05-2013, 12:07 PM
I agree with what everyone else said. Even though you didn't get compression and rebound adjustments, you still got a great deal for one of the best spring shocks on the market. I have had my Axis shocks since 2008 and wouldn't sell them for anything unless I found a LT setup. Get them sent out to a suspension shop and get them fixed.

450madman
09-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Found out that the main blue springs are not axis (maybe pep or gt thunder). My friend refilled the nitrogen to 180 psi. Also found out that if your rear end is on jack stands and you push down on the front end you get a twisting action from the bike and one side will dip more than the other up front. Re-installed them, took the rear off of jack stands, now everything is ok. Thanks for the opinions and info.