PDA

View Full Version : 03 predator hetrick exhaust install

MOTORIDER68
08-30-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm doing a frame swap and rebuild on a 2003 predator 90 to surprise my son with. I ordered the hetrick kit and I have received everything but the exhaust. Am I gonna have to remove the battery box to install the exhaust? I know most of you have moved onto DRR's so this may be a dated question but I appreciate the help.

chris p.
09-01-2013, 11:08 AM
yes and no.i used a pipe similar to that one but we had to cut and turn ours due to the 06 having reverse and the lever was in the way.while I was at it we adjusted the pipe so it cleared the box and still use the battery.since then we took off the facrtory plastics and used a set of pink ones off a drr. they fit really well but the drr is longer and the front/rear overlap in the middle but it's another alternative to hacking the factory set.

MOTORIDER68
09-02-2013, 06:31 AM
yes and no.i used a pipe similar to that one but we had to cut and turn ours due to the 06 having reverse and the lever was in the way.while I was at it we adjusted the pipe so it cleared the box and still use the battery.since then we took off the facrtory plastics and used a set of pink ones off a drr. they fit really well but the drr is longer and the front/rear overlap in the middle but it's another alternative to hacking the factory set.

Awesome thanks. I guess I'll see how this one turns out. I bought a frame that has already been gusseted so the rear plastic with the battery box will not fit in the frame. I will have to cut it off. I do plan on trying to mount the battery somewhere else if possible.

Thanks for the reply. The DRR plastic may be the ticket later on.

chris p.
09-02-2013, 08:33 AM
we ended up gusseting oursto after my son broke the frame completely in half !!!!!

MOTORIDER68
09-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Haha! I have read about these minis having weak frames. I picked up this gusseted frame on eBay basically because it already had nerf bars mounted up. My son really wants nerfs. I totally new to the mini market. If he starts pounding this thing pretty hard we may go DRR or something like that.

What shocks are you running?

chris p.
09-02-2013, 02:40 PM
the predator was our first racer then we moved up to a fully built 08 drr90.our drr 90 was parted out but we still have that engine and my daughter now rides the predator.we ran the stock rear and some 12 1/2'' fronts combined with the diamond j front kit on the preddy.the frames are basically the same except for the front suspension points. on the rear we swapped in a whole rear swingarm and disc brake setup off a e-ton.bolted right in and a lot safer.the diamond j kit allows you to run 300ex stock front shocks on a Polaris 90.the drr had elkas and a fox rear with a malossi big bore 90 that was completely built.i would definitely concentrate on suspension first.make it wide and stable then up the power.get rid of the stock carb and go with a brand name carb between 21-24mm with a uni filter or twin air filter.you can also use a stock pipe off a late model drr 90 that would wake up your 90 and not break the bank.pipe makes the single most noteable gain.also get a no-rev cdi and wire it in.i have ours still on so if you need a wiring diagram I can help you out and you can still use the factory harness.you'll also need an aftermarket kill switch/tether combo for safety.aftermarket intake is also required if you run a different carb.we still run a koso and it works great.there's a lot that you can do to these mini's and you'll find a lot of help on here.chris

MOTORIDER68
09-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Wow, thanks for the reply. Great info! I'd love to look into the eton swing arm. Basically what I have done so far is... Order a hetrick kit (pipe, clutch, cdi, air box vents, and jet). I picked up a new elka stage 4 rear but only did a stage 1 fronts. I don't see him racing the predator. I also picked up a set of the fox float MXR for the fronts. I'm unsure which one he will run. I did wheel spacers rather than a-arms and axle. I got him a pro design kill switch, powermadds, handle bars, and a rath bumper and custom graphics. I'm sure forgetting some little stuff.

My goal was to build him a cool trail bike. After replacing every bearing and bushing I hope it last 10 more years with this set up. I tried to stay under $2000. Which ever shocks we go with I'll just sell the others to recoop the cash.

chris p.
09-02-2013, 05:19 PM
rear spacers are ok but I wouldn't run them in the front.you lose turning radius and with nerf bars sometimes the front of their boots will hit the tires and spook them.the elkas are a better choice in my opinion.i hear stories of the other ones sticking over time.what rear torsion spring did you get with the kit?? color?? heat is an enemy with the cvt's so be prepared to do a lot of maintainance in the clutch area.you have to vent the cover but not let trash or water in so it's a fine line.we kept the stock Polaris cover with just the stock tube on top and didn't have any problems but on our drr we had a crazy fresh air system to keep it cool.with the front suspension you can widen it with the aforementioned kit and still use the stock arms and save $$$$$ but still gain a lot of width and it steers nice.if you ever need pics just pm a cell # and I can send whatever you need.also,did you get two jets in the hetrick kit ?? pilot and main ?? that's the only problem with the sunworld carbs.trying to get parts.also how much does your son weigh ?? it will weigh into what roller weights you should be using.

MOTORIDER68
09-02-2013, 05:29 PM
I can see this getting lengthy. I will PM my number thanks.