PDA

View Full Version : YFZ won't start, just clicks really fast at relay

Raptor350yamaha
08-29-2013, 10:04 AM
So, I finally got my quad running again with a new motor, great. Not sure if it matters but its the old carbed model. My old battery was shot. I rode the quad around for the last week or so by just bump starting it, it fired right up very easily every time. I had tried to jump start it with a car battery, with the car off of course, and it just clicked then. Brand new battery in and it's the same thing. I can hear something happening in the starter, like its turning but not turning over the motor. It has a full charge, I jumped the starter relay and it still just does the fast clicking. So I thought the starter was bad so I tried another one, nothing different. I shined up both the ground wire and the wire going to the starter, nothing. I tried jumper cables directly from the battery to the ground. What happens differently here is when i pull the clutch in, it doesn't click anymore, but the starter still does the same thing. I can't do that for more than a second because the connection at the battery gets red hot. Any ideas?

2001400exrida
08-29-2013, 10:06 AM
if it sounds like the starter is just spinning freely and not turning over the motor then your one way starter bearing is shot and will need replaced. it's also possible that the starter gears are not working properly. I had the one way starter bearing go out in my yfz and had to replace it. Not that uncommon for the E start 450's, which is why i love my kicker model lol.

Raptor350yamaha
08-29-2013, 10:30 AM
I bought the motor used "low hours", but I suppose that bearing could be bad? Is there any way I can check. I tried a different set of starter gears, same thing, they just spin freely. I don't have a fly wheel puller, but I don't think that one way bearing is bad, I tried to turn that gear that stick up when you take out the starter gears, and it only turns one way, only way to get it to turn the way it's supposed to is put it in gear and push it. I don't know if that means anything.

2001400exrida
08-29-2013, 10:36 AM
that means it's bad. it should only turn the way that turns over the motor, otherwise it will spin the other way and spin freely like what you have. It's a pain to fix but the parts really aren't expensive, if you're mechanically inclined.

Raptor350yamaha
08-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Well I'm an idiot, I had the ground and hot wires crossed, ground going to the starter and hot going to the ground, causing the starter to spin backwards... sigh. Thanks though, I really appreciate it. So glad I didn't start tearing things apart. Fires right up!