PDA

View Full Version : Foam Filter Size

CJM
08-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Needing to know a few measurements if someone wouldnt mind. Im looking to see if the foam filter (uni specifically would be good but Im assume stock foam filter is also same size) type filters for a yfz will fit a project.

Need inner diameter and overall length (filter plus rubber end), as well as cage inner diameter and length if possible. Not sure if different year YFZ's use different filters as well..

Very much appreciated to anyone who wouldnt mind helping me out.

2001400exrida
08-29-2013, 04:45 AM
yfz filters of any year will fit on any year honda 450.

CJM
08-29-2013, 07:45 AM
yfz filters of any year will fit on any year honda 450.

I know that, but I wanted to exact measurements. Thanks for no help it all..

2001400exrida
08-29-2013, 08:04 AM
oh i thought you already had that answer, i'm sorry. As posted in the other thread you started the size of the yfz uni filter is 6 3/4 long 4 3/8 id

Also, for anybody wandering if a 06+ trx450 filter will fit in a 04/05, no it will not. The 04/05 air box has to be cut to remove the tab and then you end up scrunching the 06+ filter into the 05 airbox, it has to scrunch so much that the back of the air filter is pressed against the back of the box. So basically if you're trying to put a 06+ filter in a 05 in order to get more airflow because it is a little bigger, you won't get more airflow because the entire back of the filter will be jammed against the rear of the 05 box, not allowing any air to flow through that part of the filter. The best way to get more airflow with an 04/05 is to either eliminate the box or put a k&n or similar filter in there. Putting a 06+ filter in an 05 airbox will not give any better flow.

chronicsmoke
08-29-2013, 08:23 AM
is it actually 'wedged against the end' though?

I am using a 2006 airbox on my 2005 and I'm still able to use my HRC airbox lid from the 2005 so the boxes are the same length and the filter isn't wedged into my airbox at all..

Also some of my unis don't have the tab to be secured to the back of the airbox (one does two don't) so cutting the tab off the 2005 box won't have any ill effects except losing the ability to mount the stock filter to the back of the box.

Worse comes to worse you could cut a section off the back and fiberglass an extension on.. or buy a 2006 airbox if the filter doesnt fit (makes installing a FCR carb a breeze too) but I think the 06+ filters should fit uni the 05 box and only improve air flow.. unless I'm missing something here.

2001400exrida
08-29-2013, 08:27 AM
i wasn't talking about cutting the tab off of the air filter, i was talking about cutting the tab mount out of the airbox which is required to fit a 06+ filter on an 05 box. The filter is a tight fit, i would say wedged is a good term for it. The reason your filter is not wedged is because you have an 06 airbox haha. None of my uni's have a tab on them, the only one that has a tab is the k&n. The stock filter doesn't mount to the back of the box it mounts to the big tab mount that is built into the 05 box.

the 06+ filters do not fit into the 05 box without modifcation, you're missing something, not sure what to tell you but if you have tried this you know it takes modification.

chronicsmoke
08-29-2013, 08:35 AM
so cutting the tab off the 2005 box won't have any ill effects except losing the ability to mount the stock filter to the back of the box.

And where is that tab on the 05 box located.. AT THE BACK! ;) the 06+ tab is right at the back (agaisnt the back wall of the box)

As stated earlier.. my HRC lid from the 04/05 box fits the 06+ box.. how would that be possible if the 06+box is a longer/different dimention? I'll take them both and put them side by side but the 06+ filter shouldn't be 'wedged' into the 04/05 box if you cut the tab off.. and as you said, it's not needed because many filters don't even have that tab.

Unless the 06+ box bubbles out at the back or something. I figured when the lids were the same dimension it would mean the boxes would be very similar. Even the mounting locations on the box (to the subframe) are almost the same. :ermm: I'll do some digging and measure them up

If you want a factory finish just get the 06+ box, boot and FCR and call it a day.. I'm going to try ther 06+ FCI on my setup too eventually.

2001400exrida
08-29-2013, 08:59 AM
And where is that tab on the 05 box located.. AT THE BACK! ;) the 06+ tab is right at the back (agaisnt the back wall of the box)

correct they are not located in the same spot, this is why the 06 filter is bigger and has to srunch a little to fit.

here's an 05 box the tab is toward the back but not at the back
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/rschaef83/05airbox_zps534dcfb9.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/rschaef83/media/05airbox_zps534dcfb9.jpg.html)

here's an 06 where the tab mount is literally against the back wall.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/rschaef83/06airbox_zps66137f6a.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/rschaef83/media/06airbox_zps66137f6a.jpg.html)