PDA

View Full Version : 450 shocks tomorrow

Speed37
08-28-2013, 06:59 PM
:)))))))))))

ben300
08-28-2013, 08:47 PM
follow this thread

http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?491839-CJM-Dxcody-guys-with-450-shocks-on-400-s-i-Have-a

save yourself some trouble

81dasher81
08-29-2013, 04:19 AM
haha uh i didnt think they were any trouble to put on mine.. lol

ben300
08-29-2013, 06:04 AM
haha uh i didnt think they were any trouble to put on mine.. lol

they're not trouble what so ever

theres just people that grind the top of the shock eyelet off and then theres people like me who modify the frame slightly so that the shocks actually fit, dont damage the shock, and keeps their resale

JOHNDOE83
08-29-2013, 06:47 AM
I liked the 450r shocks, the felt a bit springy with the 400 a arms tho, they say +2 arms helps and feels like new shocks but I never tried it.

Also they say a revalve will make them work with stock a arms.

The best part is, I have top secret information that a gt thunder revalve is actually a 450r shock with 400ex springs. You can easily do it your self with a spring compressor tool from the auto parts store.

ben300
08-29-2013, 07:04 AM
I liked the 450r shocks, the felt a bit springy with the 400 a arms tho, they say +2 arms helps and feels like new shocks but I never tried it.

they do a little more than jsut revalve the shock to make it work for the 400ex. the shock is actually to long for the 400ex, so the shock piston shaft has to be machined shorter than what it currently is. its not much its somehting like 1/4" of an inch. i

but the revalve, and respring makes a world of difference! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy better than stock, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than just putting the stock 450 shocks on your bike. the adjustability of a correctly resprung and revalved shock is way better than stock as well.

The best part is, I have top secret information that a gt thunder revalve is actually a 450r shock with 400ex springs. You can easily do it your self with a spring compressor tool from the auto parts store.

that would be true....but...the 400ex spring is to long to use in a dual rate set up

Zakradu398
08-29-2013, 07:28 AM
they're not trouble what so ever

theres just people that grind the top of the shock eyelet off and then theres people like me who modify the frame slightly so that the shocks actually fit, dont damage the shock, and keeps their resale

IMO I'd rather grind the solid piece of metal on the shocks than the thin piece of metal that is the mount.

Speed37
08-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Eventually I will get that revalve, but low funds as of now.. Andd I will test fit them and see if I need to do anything.

2001400exrida
08-29-2013, 07:40 AM

The 450r shocks are nowhere near as springy as those stock 400ex pogo sticks. The only issue i did not like was that the 450r shocks made the front a little higher and a little more stiff, but it helped a ton with bottoming out on jumps...no way was that going to happen with the 450r shocks.

a revalve and re spring is all that is needed and if you run wider a arms they really ride better. they don't have to cut the piston shaft down, because they simply lower the ride height via the springs.

I also agree that cutting a small piece out of the frame is better than grinding the top of the shock.

CJM
08-29-2013, 07:49 AM
IMO I'd rather grind the solid piece of metal on the shocks than the thin piece of metal that is the mount.

Your grinding an 8th of an inch off the mount..

chronicsmoke
08-29-2013, 07:59 AM
you can't truly understand how stiff and high the 450r shocks feel until you get some shocks that are built for the EX..

Such a difference its unbelievable. Those stock 450r shocks weren't impressive to me, they made it ride way too high in the front and that was after doing every adjustment I could. Sure anything is better than stock, but I sure wasn't all that impressed.

ben300
08-29-2013, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=2001400exrida;4347850]
a revalve and re spring is all that is needed and if you run wider a arms they really ride better. they don't have to cut the piston shaft down, because they simply lower the ride height via the springs.QUOTE]

when i had my shocks redone by Jet Suspension, Nick Adams specifically said that the shafts needed machine in order to get the correct shock lenght, cross over gap, and spring rate....i also taked to Greg at Greg's ATV and he recomended the same

i will agree though that the 450r stock fronts on the 400 are beyond stiff! great for mx i suppose....****ty for XC

ben300
08-29-2013, 08:07 AM
you can't truly understand how stiff and high the 450r shocks feel until you get some shocks that are built for the EX..

Such a difference its unbelievable. Those stock 450r shocks weren't impressive to me, they made it ride way too high in the front and that was after doing every adjustment I could. Sure anything is better than stock, but I sure wasn't all that impressed.

totally agree'd. i thought they were waaaaaayyy to stff. sure i could take bigger hits, but the front end rode to high and was rigid. that was with the preload all the way off, compression backed almost all the way to soft, and the rebound slowed down.

once i had jet do them up, it was a worlds/ngiht and days difference. with the fronts done, adn the rear done with the GTT xc link, i was able to really get my suspension dialed in and i was actually able to get the "recommended" ride height at my pegs and 22" forward of the pegs.

the only quams i have with what i had done, is that ive gotten a lot faster this season and am gonna have to get them revalved and resprung again because they can be a little to soft at times. especially my rear shock.

ben300
08-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Your grinding an 8th of an inch off the mount..

exactly. that 1/8" inch is next to nothing when you look at where the material is, and what it does on the frame. it really provides no actual strenght increase to the frame in that spot.

i have 11 races on my quad since i made that modification and its held up fine. no cracks or bending or breaking in the frame.

CJM
08-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Ill also chime in and say they were SUPER stiff no matter what I did. Redone they probably work fine-but I never got that far.

BIGTEX400EX
08-29-2013, 12:05 PM
I ground the shock. If your worried about either the shock or the frame, your splitting hairs. I think I took 1/32 off the top of the shock in one small spot and a small triangle to clear the frame in another spot. There is more than enough metal on either. I just decided I'd rather go the shock route. They are rebuilt for a 400ex, so I will never sell them as 450R shocks. Do whatever is easier for you, many shocks and many mounts have been modified, how many people have come on here to report the top of their 450 shock broke through after grinding it? Or their top shock mount ripped off after modifying for 450 shocks?

ben300
08-29-2013, 12:31 PM
I ground the shock. If your worried about either the shock or the frame, your splitting hairs. I think I took 1/32 off the top of the shock in one small spot and a small triangle to clear the frame in another spot. There is more than enough metal on either. I just decided I'd rather go the shock route. They are rebuilt for a 400ex, so I will never sell them as 450R shocks. Do whatever is easier for you, many shocks and many mounts have been modified, how many people have come on here to report the top of their 450 shock broke through after grinding it? Or their top shock mount ripped off after modifying for 450 shocks?

how many people have you seen come on here and complain abouttheir frames cracking or breaking in the front shock, top mount location because of the way we've done it? none

its each to his own. 90% of people are gonna grind the shock, 5% are gonna modify the frame and then another 5% are just not gonna care, knock off the nut in teh mount and just shove them in there.

i dont now about GTT, but Jet, if you do decide to take the shocks and use them on a 450, will convert them back to 450r length for you. this is $100 on top of what ever other work your get done by them

2001400exrida
08-29-2013, 01:10 PM
how many people have you seen come on here and complain abouttheir frames cracking or breaking in the front shock, top mount location because of the way we've done it? none

i believe you are agreeing with him, he's saying the same thing, either method works fine, to each their own.

i dont now about GTT, but Jet, if you do decide to take the shocks and use them on a 450, will convert them back to 450r length for you. this is $100 on top of what ever other work your get done by them

it would cost more than $100 to do that. If GTT or JET has to replace the shaft since it's been cut down, it won't be that easy, in fact you would probably be better off just buying a good used set of 450r shocks.

ben300
08-29-2013, 01:30 PM
it would cost more than $100 to do that. If GTT or JET has to replace the shaft since it's been cut down, it won't be that easy, in fact you would probably be better off just buying a good used set of 450r shocks.

$100 is a quoted price from nick adams himself at Jet....they do it to shocks all the time cause they convert the 450r fronts to long travel shocks. when i had my shocks done by him:

http://imageshack.com/a/img266/4743/g3j2.jpg (http://imageshack.com/i/7eg3j2j)

i was worried about since they shorten the shaft that they would be stuck forever on a 400, and i possibly wanted to run them with long travel a-arms in the future like teixiera tech or houser, and he said not to worry, that just send them in and for an extra $100 for regualr and $150 for long travel, they'd replace the shafts.

he also said that if you dont run shock covers the shafts should be replaced every 2-3 seasons anyways because the shafts will get knicked and scratched and can cause the shock seals to fail

Longdong
08-29-2013, 01:56 PM

I hope this was a joke......... Very untrue statement!

Speed37
08-29-2013, 07:10 PM
They have arrived!! But Saturday will be testing day for the shocks. But in the near future I will get all my shocks done!

cheater13
08-30-2013, 10:09 AM
$100 is a quoted price from nick adams himself at Jet....they do it to shocks all the time cause they convert the 450r fronts to long travel shocks. when i had my shocks done by him:

http://imageshack.com/a/img266/4743/g3j2.jpg (http://imageshack.com/i/7eg3j2j)

i was worried about since they shorten the shaft that they would be stuck forever on a 400, and i possibly wanted to run them with long travel a-arms in the future like teixiera tech or houser, and he said not to worry, that just send them in and for an extra $100 for regualr and $150 for long travel, they'd replace the shafts.

he also said that if you dont run shock covers the shafts should be replaced every 2-3 seasons anyways because the shafts will get knicked and scratched and can cause the shock seals to fail

How much did it cost to have these done?

2001400exrida
08-30-2013, 10:12 AM
check out the jet suspension web site, they have all prices listed.

ben300
08-30-2013, 10:38 AM
How much did it cost to have these done?

$649 or $659 or what ever the price is listed on their website. that did not include shipping costs to get them to JET.

2001's right, check their website, allthe prices are listed and accurate. or you can call them and talk to Tim wolfe and get an idea about everthing.

I absolutely love them....and they look dope. i can not compare their performance to GTT, or Derisi, or Greg's, or Dirt Works fronts, but im sure they are all on par with each other.