PDA

View Full Version : ATV Rider Magazine has discontinued publication of print edition

quad2xtreme
08-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Last issue is/was the July/August edition. They added my remaining copies due to my subscription of Dirt Rider magazine. Hate to see another ATV magazine bite the dust. There are already specialty mags for utility and SxS so I knew this one trying to hit all plus the sport models wasn't going to work. Without new models, the ATV sport industry is slowly (and painfully) dying.

tripinator
08-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Last issue is/was the July/August edition. They added my remaining copies due to my subscription of Dirt Rider magazine. Hate to see another ATV magazine bite the dust. There are already specialty mags for utility and SxS so I knew this one trying to hit all plus the sport models wasn't going to work. Without new models, the ATV sport industry is slowly (and painfully) dying.

IMO I don't believe the sport is dying I just think the Internet has become priority #1, people don't read magazines like they did 5 or 6 years ago. These days when you want to find out information you search google, ie, best atv tires for motocross etc... Yes I do believe less people are buying quads but not because they are getting out the sport but because money is an issue. This isn't the cheapest hobby to be in and these days cash is hard to come by. Give it time, the economy will pick back up and the big 4 will start producing new quads again and as far as the magazines go I do in fact believe we are losing our paper backs forever but I think e-zines will be around for awhile till websites like this shut them down.

quad2xtreme
08-28-2013, 08:27 PM
I am not saying the ATV sport is dying. Sport quads are dying as evidenced by another publication not focusing on sport quads at all. It became a publication of SxS and Utility. They aren't selling e-subscriptions to the site. I am betting atvrideronline stops getting updated and it dies out.

KKiowaTJ
08-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Fishers gay TV show dont help the cause using mainly utility's quads. Good terrain if they had better quads but they are pimping the 4x4's and SxS's hard. That's where the money is.

I still have magazines from the late 80's, 90's and stopped around 02'. Funny thing is IMO, The prices of today on aftermarket parts are the same if not cheaper today. Today though, Its harder to find the extra $$ for the parts needed.

I still like my rag's in print and in hand. So I have had to cancel most and that's why im on a forum with guys who run the very same parts they did. Id rather have good info here on exactly what im going to use it for, Than a ballpark assessment of the quad that turns out to be bullchit anyway.
To each their own I guess, I too feel the quad scene slipping and its sad for the fact minimal changes would make a world of difference.

TrapZ400
08-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Sucks to see another magazine go down. What print magazines are left out there ? Dirtwheels, atv magazine, atv action, and atv insider. I think that's about it. Most of them are pretty heavy into the 4x4s and UTVs besides atv insider which is the only print magazine that focuses primarily on sport quads/racing. I'm thinking in about 5 -10 years there won't be any print magazines. Everything will go digital.

I don't blame them for focusing on the 4x4s and the UTVs, that's where the money is. Every OEM besides suzuki makes a utv, it seems like every couple months polaris introduces a new model of their RZR. I hear they are selling like hot cakes.

Money is tight for everyone and people are spending money more wisely. People are skipping over the sport quads and going straight to the 4x4s and UTVs . The big bore 4x4s and utvs have plenty of power to have fun on, pretty decent suspension and you can use them to do work. When the economy gets better people will have more discretionary income and the sport quad market will pick back up.

turdboy
08-29-2013, 08:08 PM
The problem I have with the utv's is that they are too expensive for the average blue collar worker. The industry has cut out the middle class and gone after the doctors and dentists income. For example I think a new can am maverick runs around 16 to 17k! That's what a cheap car costs. Back in the late 90's early 2000's the two strokes were cheap and racing was focused on blue collar dudes. The sport is dying. Here in mn our local series has had horrible numbers, hardly any kids racing. In 10 years will amateur MX even exist?

jake55
08-30-2013, 05:38 AM
Here in mn our local series has had horrible numbers, hardly any kids racing. In 10 years will amateur MX even exist?
nope, went all the way to Wallnut Ill. and only had 6 kids on the gate for 70cvt class, and yes, that was a national race.

skyeryder
08-30-2013, 10:31 AM
nope, went all the way to Wallnut Ill. and only had 6 kids on the gate for 70cvt class, and yes, that was a national race.

I've been told I'm wrong for saying this but we've out priced ourselves in the minis that 2fast motor is $4500 up build just motor, when a kid can hop on a stock kx65 or stock ktm65 and be competitive on any local level. That 70cc cvt class had full gates last year (2012) I have two mods now b/c cvt's are out of control. My son just got a kx65 dirtbike we are looking at making the switch, pockets aren't deep enough...:cuss: Now this is going to contradict what I just said ($$$) but I can't wait til he's old enough to race a SXS that's where it's at.

madskrillz2
08-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Every year it just seems like it's getting closer to the "dark years" all over again. Like when the 250r was no longer in production and there was zero factory support. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the production rule is gone in a couple more years.

Blodg
09-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Fishers gay TV show dont help the cause using mainly utility's quads.

LMAO, I can't stand that show either. With me owning ATV's for 25 years and still be a huge fan of the sport I thought I would love this show. I used to DVR it but the host is such a tool and the riding they show is so lame that I don't record it or watch it anymore.

KKiowaTJ
09-02-2013, 10:49 AM
LMAO, I can't stand that show either. With me owning ATV's for 25 years and still be a huge fan of the sport I thought I would love this show. I used to DVR it but the host is such a tool and the riding they show is so lame that I don't record it or watch it anymore.

Same here, Had good intentions, But sold out and ride like newb's. Id love to go where they have, But they don't do crap when they get there but try and sell you on the quad, Then to their lame host. I agree a worthless guy, A tool actually has a purpose him not so much LMAO.

KKiowaTJ
09-02-2013, 10:50 AM

Same here, Had good intentions, But sold out and ride like newb's. Id love to go where they have, But they don't do crap when they get there but try and sell you on the quad, Then to their lame host. I agree a worthless guy, A tool actually has a purpose him not so much LMAO.