PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stem Bearing- 2001 400ex

sportraxmaster
08-27-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm replacing a bent steering stem and decided it would be a good idea to replace the bearing as well. Does anyone have any tips for installing the new bearing? I am struggling to get the bearing to sit all the way down where if should be. I've been looking for a step by step process and can't find anything.

Stickman400
08-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Take the snap ring off the top, beat the old one out from the bottom, use emory cloth and WD-40 and polish the **** out of the hole where the bearing sits and then set the new one in and use the old bearing or a same size socket to beat it in. There's a lip inside that will stop it from going too far. If you can't get it to go after doing that then just keep polishing and soaking it with WD-40 to lube it up and break down the rust that's stuck in it. Also sticking the bearing in the freezer over night will help it go in easier.

blacknblue#2
08-28-2013, 10:40 AM
clean the hole real good. Put the bearing in the freezer over night and put a little heat to the area of the frame before you drop it in. It will literally drop in.

2001400exrida
08-28-2013, 11:02 AM
^^^what this guy said.

Only you don't need to put it in over night, it doesn't take that long to get the bearing frozen. Stick the bearing in the freezer for 30 min to an hour or so. Then get some lube in your frame where the bearing is going. It should slide right in there after you've had it in the freezer for awhile. I use this method anytime i have to install new bearings in anything and it helps a ton. THat stem bearing can be a pain to drive out sometimes, but once you get it out you're good to go, putting the new one in is a piece of cake.

kt1148
08-28-2013, 12:11 PM
This may help...http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?360367-How-To-Remove-a-Honda-stem-bearing

sportraxmaster
08-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the help. Finally got the chance to finish it today. The snap ring was my trouble all along. I didn't remove it. It was still difficult dropping the new bearing in even after having it in the freezer for awhile. I had to hit it down with a hammer. Everything is installed now though.

2001400exrida
08-30-2013, 09:16 AM
the good thing is, it's not a high speed bearing so really as long as you get it in there with minimal damage it'll hold up.