PDA

View Full Version : Having some clutch issues

Ryan02400ex
08-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Hey guys, I am running a tusk clutch with HD springs. I have had it in for at least a year, if not more. I have went through 6 clutch cables. They all snap at the lever. I have tried 3 different perches and levers. Now the second issuse is that when the engine gets up to regular temp I loose most of my clutch. Is it worn out or what?

DragonGunner
08-26-2013, 07:42 PM
I have a 99' EX and 2001 EX....both still have the original clutch with the 99' having a zillion hard hours on it with HD springs, it has gone through around 8 cables. But I don't ride it like a 2 stroke either. I would would first check and make sure your cables are working properly at the perch and at the engine, make sure you have to pull the clutch lever in a little before it engages and make sure when it is released all tension is off the clutch, should have a little play in the lever.....maybe look for a different brand of cable and or make sure your not riding the thing like a 2 stroke.

Ryan02400ex
08-26-2013, 08:12 PM
They are set up perfect based off of what you say. I have tried a couple different brands of cables. What do you mean by ride it like a 2 stroke? I am wondering if my oil is affecting how my clutch performs in the heat?

KKiowaTJ
08-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Put the original clutch springs back in it, Tusk ones make it a PITA for no reason. 2 stroking is flicking the clutch lever to bump the rpm up, But on a 400 is burns it up.
Yep, When the motor rev's and no go, Is a burnt clutch. Buy a new tusk fiber/steel and find you're old clutch springs. Good luck

DragonGunner
08-27-2013, 06:24 AM
What kind of oil are you using. I usually get Motion Pro cables. I put White Brothers HD springs in the 99' back in 2000, its the one I race and now my son races it...like what was said about 2 stroking above, its cluthing it all the time while revving....off throttle, clutch and shift, off clutch and then throttle...the more you get on the throttle before the clutch is fully released the faster your clutch will wear out. I still feel the best clutch out there are the OEM ones from Honda.

Stickman400
08-28-2013, 12:39 AM
Did you check to see if your basket, pressure plate or inner hub was grooved or worn when you last changed them? I think if any of those gets severely worn your clutch wouldn't even function.

atvrider13
08-28-2013, 07:51 PM
I had a Tusk clutch . It slipped from the moment i put it in . IMO they suck. No matter what kind of oil I put in it , it always slipped. Ebc clutch didnt last long either. Dp in now seems to be working good but wearing as I hafto adjust lever often. I would recommend stock , mine lasted 8 years. This aftermarket stuf is junk. Once my dp goes out I will be going back to a stock clutch.

KKiowaTJ
08-28-2013, 08:29 PM
I had a Tusk clutch . It slipped from the moment i put it in . IMO they suck. No matter what kind of oil I put in it , it always slipped. Ebc clutch didnt last long either. Dp in now seems to be working good but wearing as I hafto adjust lever often. I would recommend stock , mine lasted 8 years. This aftermarket stuf is junk. Once my dp goes out I will be going back to a stock clutch.

I bought the tusk kit and put it in thinking I was slipping. It made it start to slip, I got the OEM's back out and put them back in and have had no problems since and im on my last OEM cable adjustment as well on a 13 year old quad.

Stickman400
08-29-2013, 01:23 PM
You're checking your basket for wear right? A grooved basket can cause the same symptoms of worn plates. I thought my problem was plates too until I went to replace them a 3rd time right after I had just put new ones in not 6 months before and my basket was pretty grooved. So I just put the cover back on and I'm gunna ride it until I can't stand it anymore and then replace the whole assembly.

Ryan02400ex
09-01-2013, 12:55 PM
You're checking your basket for wear right? A grooved basket can cause the same symptoms of worn plates. I thought my problem was plates too until I went to replace them a 3rd time right after I had just put new ones in not 6 months before and my basket was pretty grooved. So I just put the cover back on and I'm gunna ride it until I can't stand it anymore and then replace the whole assembly.
I have not checked the basket, I will tear it apart soon and check