PDA

View Full Version : darn insurance companies!!!!

QuadJunkies
03-19-2003, 05:13 AM
I just found out today that farmers insurance will no longer carry ATV insurance,they had the best rates and Co -pay out of all of them including progressive, we switched from Foremost because there rates went up 65%!!:eek: So, I called around and it seems like most Co. has got out of the ATV insurance buisness..Foremost Wanted over 415.00 a year JUST for the predator!!! Well you know what I said tho that!!I may just go with progressive since they do most ATV insureance and they were almost as comperable in price,anyone know of others that carry ATV insurance?I know this topic has been posted a few times, but now that everyone is dropping the policies,I have no clue who to call:confused: Thanks.......:)

DESDAK4
03-19-2003, 05:40 AM
I don't know if they have American Family over there but I only pay $130 a year for full coverage on all mine together with a 100 deductable. I think it is fair:confused2

Jay
USAF
AMMO

QuadJunkies
03-19-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by DESDAK4
I don't know if they have American Family over there but I only pay $130 a year for full coverage on all mine together with a 100 deductable. I think it is fair:confused2

Jay
USAF
AMMO wow that is good! I pay 115.00 a year for full coverage on the 400ex and I think 40.00 a year on the mini w/ a 200.00 ded. and 1000.00 for mods replacement.. I will aks my agent,he is also looking for me a new carrier

DESDAK4
03-19-2003, 06:41 AM
The only problem I have with them at all is they don't offer the coverage on mods so that would leave me stuck a little but not near as bad as if I didn't have coverage at all.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

QuadJunkies
03-19-2003, 06:45 AM
well get this.....Progressive wants 265.00 a year for the predator alone!!! thats such crap! and thats with a perfect recound and all. not including the other machines... Im gonna check into a few more before buying

DESDAK4
03-19-2003, 06:51 AM
That's crazy, I hope you find someone with way better prices.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

TheChknhwk
03-19-2003, 07:06 AM
Try a local independent carrier that insures through multiple companies. A lot of times they have a good idea who has the best motorcycle, atv, house, etc, etc. I used to get my motorcycle insurance this way dirt cheap.

Jennys440'Dale
03-19-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
wow that is good! I pay 115.00 a year for full coverage on the 400ex and I think 40.00 a year on the mini w/ a 200.00 ded. and 1000.00 for mods replacement.. I will aks my agent,he is also looking for me a new carrier

Yeah, over here in Ohio, I carry American Family and I pay just $130 bucks for the year. Sounds like a good deal compared with what you would be charged! But when it comes down to it, if you were to claim something on your quad, doesn't it make your car insurance go up???

ThorChick
03-19-2003, 07:26 AM
I think mine is about $150 the whole year through State Farm and I have a $50 deductible. They've been pretty good so far so see if you can get it through them.

QuadJunkies
03-19-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by TheChknhwk
Try a local independent carrier that insures through multiple companies. A lot of times they have a good idea who has the best motorcycle, atv, house, etc, etc. I used to get my motorcycle insurance this way dirt cheap. THese are my local agents im dealing with;)

QuadJunkies
03-19-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Jennys400ex
Yeah, over here in Ohio, I carry American Family and I pay just $130 bucks for the year. Sounds like a good deal compared with what you would be charged! But when it comes down to it, if you were to claim something on your quad, doesn't it make your car insurance go up??? oh Im sure just like a car, your rates would go up:(,thatrs the whole ins and outs of haiving it though,Icant imagine NOT having any..One major roll over and its pays for itself..:)

QuadJunkies
03-19-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by ThorChick
I think mine is about $150 the whole year through State Farm and I have a $50 deductible. They've been pretty good so far so see if you can get it through them. Kacy, I totally forgot about State Farm, Ill give them a buzz thanks:)

ThorChick
03-19-2003, 07:36 AM
No prob Tina, glad to help.

QuadJunkies
03-19-2003, 08:01 AM
WEll, this is what I have been told by all of them so far, unless they have my cars and/or home owners they wont ride ant ATV policy all by itself.:( I cant get a better rate on my cars than who I hvae now,which is Geico and they dont carry ATV insurance anymore,so I guess Im going to be stuck paying an huge premium now...:grr I also wastold becuse of being ina more mountain type of terrian here ATV insurance rates are higher back her tahn in the east according to State farm, I told him I thought that was rediculous:rolleyes:

Quadfather
03-19-2003, 10:22 AM
Here's what happened with me and Progressive. I told them that I had a Yamaha Kodiak ATV. They told me to fill out the forms they sent me, along with a picture of the quad. I did. A week later, I get a threatening letter from them, saying I was trying to commit insurance fraud. I called them up, and asked what was going on. The incompetent idiot on the other end claimed that I told them I had a streetbike, but when they ran my VIN #, it came back as an ATV. I asked if he had seen the picture of the vehicle in question that I had sent them, as requested. He said he had, and I asked him if he had a chance to count the wheels on it. He claimed he didn't. I told him the vehicle in the picture had four wheels on it, and in the vehicle description, I had put "four wheeler/ATV"

He kept going on and on about insurance fraud, not hearing a darn thing I said. Finally, I interrupted him, and told him I would be standing in my front yard, with my pants around my ankles, and he was more than welcomed to stop by and kiss my *****.

I then called Markel American Insurance Co. (1-800-236-BIKE)
and got my Kodiak insured, full coverage, $250 ded. for $65 a year. I got the same policy on my 400EX for $70 a year.

Markel only insures boats, motorhomes, quads, ect... and will be happy to talk to you about insuring your quads.

TRXMaddness
03-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I just found out today that farmers insurance will no longer carry ATV insurance,they had the best rates and Co -pay out of all of them including progressive, we switched from Foremost because there rates went up 65%!!:eek: So, I called around and it seems like most Co. has got out of the ATV insurance buisness..Foremost Wanted over 415.00 a year JUST for the predator!!! Well you know what I said tho that!!I may just go with progressive since they do most ATV insureance and they were almost as comperable in price,anyone know of others that carry ATV insurance?I know this topic has been posted a few times, but now that everyone is dropping the policies,I have no clue who to call:confused: Thanks.......:)

QJ,
I have full cover insurance through Nationwide on my 400 and I pay like 120 a year for it with a $250 deductible. Very reasonable with Nationwide.

Rip_Tear
03-19-2003, 11:50 AM
That sucks QJ! Well I pay $331 Canadian for full on my quad... Its enough, but its Canadian. Insurance is a bugger, but definately worth having :D

Quadfather
03-19-2003, 02:20 PM
I have 14 insurance policies with Nationwide Ins. They told me that they were no longer writing new policies on ATVs, but if you already had one with them, that was ok, but no new ones would be accepted.

p@iNn3ck
03-19-2003, 02:50 PM
Glad there's a thread on this, I've been meanin to ask about insurance. I'm kinda clueless on ATV insurance, does it work the same as on cars/trucks? What does full coverage cover? Theft I assume, but what about wrecks? or broken parts?
I got some info after buyin my 400ex from Honda RedRider or something like that. It had some info on ATV insurance and discounts for Honda owners. Anyone use them?

Foxyangel0425
03-19-2003, 03:17 PM
QJ-- we have State Farm for our ATV insurance...but of course we got everything else with them too. :( My best suggestion would me be too, go to goggle.com or yahoo.com or even msn.com and in their search put ATV insurance and see what you come up with. When we bought my quad last year our dealer gave us a name of a insurance company that deals with ATV's and motorcycles....but for the life of me i can't recall what their name was....(sorry). I am sure if you do a search you will be bound to find something. :p

QuadJunkies
03-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all the helpful info, I appreciate it alot!!:blah Im gonna check o na few and I guess for the time being my agent with my other quads told me the new quad will be covered in the mean time?:confused: I dunno how he done that,but more power to him on taking care of me in the meantime.;) Whatever any of you do, dont go with FOREMOST, they are the HIGHEST at over 400.00 a year for one quad..What a rip off..:rolleyes: Ill let you know what I find out on a few of the Co. you listed....

03-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Everyone who posted ins rates for full coverage on their quads consider yourself lucky.

In the good ole hold your wallet state aka NJ you cant even get comp type coverage and the typical liability only policy (if you can get one) is 200.00 and most are lucky to get that.

Hmmmm anyone want to add my quad to their policy :) JK

And QJ you said something about covering a roll over, now thats a good policy :) no you lost an excuse for hill climbing :eek:

jamiesel
03-19-2003, 06:27 PM
full coverage on 250r state farm around 70 per year.

State farm is really good with a good record and use them for eerything you insure (house, car, boat, atv's)

QuadJunkies
03-19-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by jamiesel
full coverage on 250r state farm around 70 per year.

State farm is really good with a good record and use them for eerything you insure (house, car, boat, atv's) Iwould move the vehicles if I could,the problem with that is,I have an extended warrenty that will be voided if I move my policy and with this warrenty I cant get any where else for the price..Lenny you bet your seet lil Arse Im hill climbin!:blah :p ;) :devil

RAGE
03-20-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by p@iNn3ck
Glad there's a thread on this, I've been meanin to ask about insurance. I'm kinda clueless on ATV insurance, does it work the same as on cars/trucks? What does full coverage cover? Theft I assume, but what about wrecks? or broken parts?

I just went through this and asked everything I needed answered. In NY all you need to register is Liability. However Liability only covers the other person and any personal injuries.
Next step up is comp (compensation) this is what I recommend anyone who is looking to get and i will explain in a sec. Comp covers your quad against theft, fire, and it covers any trailer you are carrying it on. The last step is collision which is full coverage.
Collision covers you for as it says collision or any damages. If you roll the quad and break the plastic up its covered..HOWEVER unless you pay anextra premium you have a deductible (the catch). The deductible is the point at which you stop paying and insurance starts. So if you roll your machine bend up the bars, destroy the plastic etc etc and you do $1000 in damages with a $500 deductible all you end up paying is $500. Although I see it like this, if you do $1000 worth of damages to your machine, how much is left....

Anyone who knew all this sorry but this is more for the youngins who don't know aht half of these terms mean.

QuadJunkies
03-20-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by RAGE
I just went through this and asked everything I needed answered. In NY all you need to register is Liability. However Liability only covers the other person and any personal injuries.
Next step up is comp (compensation) this is what I recommend anyone who is looking to get and i will explain in a sec. Comp covers your quad against theft, fire, and it covers any trailer you are carrying it on. The last step is collision which is full coverage.
Collision covers you for as it says collision or any damages. If you roll the quad and break the plastic up its covered..HOWEVER unless you pay anextra premium you have a deductible (the catch). The deductible is the point at which you stop paying and insurance starts. So if you roll your machine bend up the bars, destroy the plastic etc etc and you do $1000 in damages with a $500 deductible all you end up paying is $500. Although I see it like this, if you do $1000 worth of damages to your machine, how much is left....

Anyone who knew all this sorry but this is more for the youngins who don't know aht half of these terms mean. I knew of a guy that bought a 300ex last year ,hadnt even made his first pmt on it, went tearin up this hill side, well, he didnt make it and the quad rolled ALL the way to the bottom,we figured around 15 rolls or more.:eek: , Thank God for his insurance they totalled out the quad and pd it off, I think he owed a dif. of 300.00 he had to pay the rest of the loan..So one year premiuim just paid for itself in his instance,I hope I never have to use it, but its good to have if you do..;)

EHSRACING
03-20-2003, 02:19 AM
hey i called up the markel ins company and full coverage on my new gsxr 1000 and my 400 ex came only to $5632 a year thats sick and no i didnt add a extra # i know its expensive because of the gixxer but wow thats why i am only going to have liability progressive quote was only $2600 a year for full and liability was ony $340 this is with a perfect record also just thought i would let you guys know

QuadJunkies
03-20-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by EHSRACING
hey i called up the markel ins company and full coverage on my new gsxr 1000 and my 400 ex came only to $5632 a year thats sick and no i didnt add a extra # i know its expensive because of the gixxer but wow thats why i am only going to have liability progressive quote was only $2600 a year for full and liability was ony $340 this is with a perfect record also just thought i would let you guys know holy $h!!t!!!!!!!!!! thats ridiculous, I remember years ago when we owned a Eagle Talon turbo, it cost us 412.00 a month for insurance, and the car pmt was 406.00:( ..

p@iNn3ck
03-20-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by RAGE
Anyone who knew all this sorry but this is more for the youngins who don't know aht half of these terms mean.

Thanks for the info (although I'm not a youngin). I assumed ATV insurance was more of a waste, cause I figured I wasn't gonna "get in an accident" on the road. And didn't figure they'd replace it if it was stolen. Good to know about the coverage options, will definitely have to check it out more. Then I can take down the shotgun rigged to my handlebars (country boys insurance policy)!