PDA

View Full Version : getting new quad witch one z400white/400ex/yellow

300exjuggalo
03-19-2003, 04:21 AM
i am going to get a new quad in may, and i was wondering whut i should get i was looking at a z400 white, or a 400ex yellow i like the 400 but people all say its outdated and stuff, and once honda comes out with a new quad no one will care about the 400ex, so i dont want to get one , and then have it be "outdated" when their new honda comes out, so i was thinking about getting a z400 even thou its not a honda:grr i would still think its not to shabby , and at least if honda comes out with something new if i had a z400 it wouldnt be to bad still so whut you people think, seriously none of that get the honda cause its a honda i want a real reason, i love honda too but i just dont no any hlp plz

Steve-o 400EX
03-19-2003, 04:40 AM
The 400ex is known as one of the most reliable quads on the market, thats why I got mine. It looks sweet, runs strong and the z400 is not much faster, trust me we did races.

oynot400
03-19-2003, 05:12 AM
The neighbor had the same problem, 400ex or Z400? He liked the way mine ran, even before the stroker. But is still was a 440 and other stuff. As much as I like Honda's I told him to go with the Z400. Why not have the water cooled motor and reverse. He is just going to trail and woods ride it anyway, so reverse would do him more good.
So do what you want, the ex is a great quad but why not have the latest and greatest. :ermm:

josh
03-19-2003, 07:09 AM
i think u guys are right but seriously, how can you say the 400 is a better machine, stock or modded, the 400 is a awesome machine but all suzuki did was improve it, same susp and handling, nicer cumfier t-seat, and alot more power, why not go with something that is liquid cooled, has reverse, has everything the 400 has, plus a dual overhead cam with a higher stock compression, there is no comparing the two when it comes to motor, i don't know why anybody would choose a ex over the z if price wasn't an issue, and i grew up around my dad trusting basically nothing but honda motorcycles and even my dad likes the new z better, go with the z, it has so much more power potential when it comes to liquid cooled and dual overhead cam and a higher compression ratio, you won't be dissapointed either way, but why not go with something newer, lighter and more powerful, WITH REVERSE!

Steve-o 400EX
03-19-2003, 07:48 AM
I had the option to buy either one and I went with the 400ex. I dont like the dual overhead cams, so that means I have to buy two cams when i mod it. With the liguid cooling, the way we ride it would be nothing but a hassle. Personally I think they are uglier than he!!, and i dont like the way it was built. JMO.

01TRX300EX
03-19-2003, 08:06 AM
I don't get it, some people want Honda to come out with something new but don't want to have to deal with the technology that come's with it, liquid cooling is a good thing, and hardly a hassle, I mean would you buy an air cooled truck or car if they offered one, just because you don't want to deal with the radiator? I doubt it, so why should it be any different with a qaud? Single overhead cams are a thing of the past, I mean, with the duals you can get quite a bit more power extracted from the engine rather than with a SOHC. What's the big deal with putting in one more cam anyways? So what I am saying is, get the Z400.

Steve-o 400EX
03-19-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by 01TRX300EX
I don't get it, some people want Honda to come out with something new but don't want to have to deal with the technology that come's with it, liquid cooling is a good thing, and hardly a hassle, I mean would you buy an air cooled truck or car if they offered one, just because you don't want to deal with the radiator? I doubt it, so why should it be any different with a qaud? Single overhead cams are a thing of the past, I mean, with the duals you can get quite a bit more power extracted from the engine rather than with a SOHC. What's the big deal with putting in one more cam anyways? So what I am saying is, get the Z400.

I have my reasons for not liking the cams or liquid cooling. I would put a hole in that damn radiatior so fast it wouldnt even be funny. And when i would go to do motor work, thats another $100 bucks i gotta shell out for another cam.:rolleyes: So dont question what I say, i have my reasons, and on top of that a z400 is not really any more powerful than an ex so the only issue left is reverse, which is nice for an old man but I dont need it, you shouldnt be riding if you dont have the strength to pick ur quad up and move it.:chinese:

cracer250
03-19-2003, 09:30 AM
Hey, my dune buggy is air cooled (VW). That thing is a screamer! Joking.

Either way, I wouldn't trade my 400EX for anything. Until Honda comes out with something different, that is.

It's kind of like toilet paper. You use what feels good!

hotrodhonda400
03-19-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by WrAtHs
You people are saying that the z has more power, but honestly, I haven't seen that. My friend just got a z and I have pretty much a stock ex. We raced on our track and did drags, and everytime we were dead even. I thinks he's a little pissed because he wanted it to be faster, and I don't blame him. Don't get me wrong, the z is an awesome quad with the liquid cooled and reverse and such, but the power increase that everyone talks about just doesn't seem to be there.

I like my honda :) what he said 100% go with the honda its proven itself time and again! ;) :D

nismo
03-19-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by 01TRX300EX
does the kfx400 have dual cams?:confused:

hotrodhonda400
03-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by nismo
does the kfx400 have dual cams?:confused: Yes the KFX is the same bike with green plastic, it even has a tag saying" built by suzuki motors" on the frame..

oynot400
03-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by nismo
does the kfx400 have dual cams?:confused:

Yes, they are identical except for the plastic color.
Hp does not equal speed. How the gearing in the tranny and sprockets can change that. So drag racing a Z against an ex is not telling hp differences. There are so many different factors that can determine racing. Such as weight of each rider, rider ability, ect. Put them on a dyno, numbers don't lie.

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-19-2003, 10:40 AM
400ex :macho

Impala400
03-19-2003, 10:55 AM
either is a good choice, and reverse can be a blessing or a burden depending on how you look at it......i mean if you get stuck there is nothing that will get you out except man power, when riding in the woods reverse would be a blessing because you can back out of stupid situations instead of hauling the bike 2 feet back......i love my EX but i went riding in the wood once and i would have liked reverse, i like the Z's but have not riden one so other then that i have no opinion on handling and stuff, but again its a first year quad and it does have its problems, either buy the extended warranty or wait till next years model to come out....or hopfully they can fix the frame by then. Hopefully its fixed already.

Either way its a good choice......if you have a 400ex already get a Z and see how you like it.

heavy_d
03-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Z400:devil it has better handling,suspesion,power,speed,REVERSE why would you get a 400ex:huh

Chanman420q
03-19-2003, 11:40 AM
get a 400ex... they look better with cut fendors... Z's are ugly as $%# with cut fendors

trxex
03-19-2003, 11:58 AM
it 's up to you .the z400 is a good quad but i rode my buddies z and i hated it . just my opion. i love my 400 ex .even if it is a little outdated and underpowered i also think the z is one ugly m.f

kajunracing
03-19-2003, 12:39 PM
you should buy the bike that suits your needs! not based on what people think!!! we ride 400's because they are awesome, no qustions asked, end of story! Besides no one makes a better more reliable quad! so ask yourself , do I want what I know is a tried true proven performer or am I conserned with the flavor of the month for its bells and whistles!! good luck and by the way reverse, liquid cooled are over rated and you will never need more power than a lightly modded 400ex provides!!!
GO HONDA:blah [SIZE=3][COLOR=red]

heavy_d
03-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by kajunracing
you should buy the bike that suits your needs! not based on what people think!!! we ride 400's because they are awesome, no qustions asked, end of story! Besides no one makes a better more reliable quad! so ask yourself , do I want what I know is a tried true proven performer or am I conserned with the flavor of the month for its bells and whistles!! good luck and by the way reverse, liquid cooled are over rated and you will never need more power than a lightly modded 400ex provides!!!
GO HONDA:blah [SIZE=3][COLOR=red]

you ever have an atv with reverse? it does come in handy and why not start out with the power of a lightly modded 400ex with a Z400

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by heavy_d
why not start out with the power of a lightly modded 400ex with a Z400

Because some people like Honda more...

Steve-o 400EX
03-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Z400:devil it has better handling,suspesion,power,speed,REVERSE why would you get a 400ex:huh

Actually, from what i've read, the 400ex handles just as good, if not a little better than the z400. There is not much more power to the z, speed is prettymuch the same, and the are ugly as hell. The ugly part prettymuch made up my mind when I was buyin a quad.

Derno24
03-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Man you guys are killing me. I won't even go into the mine is better than yours. Both machines are good and either would be great, but all things being equal price I would go with the Z. Why you might ask? One reason: RESALE VALUE. If and when Honda comes out with their new bikes the value of a 400 ex won't be anywhere near what the Z will be. Just a nugget for when trading in. Everyone enjoy their riding day :D

ridered03
03-19-2003, 04:02 PM
yea everyone has an opinion, personaly I love my 400ex and would not trade it for anything. but i cant say much about the z400 I have never ridden one. But if you do get one get the yellow!!!

DUNEZRUNNER
03-19-2003, 04:18 PM
I have a 400ex and have ridden the z400, I love my ex, but if I had it to do over again I would get the z400. I am not a picky person, so I drive what is priced right and runs good. When I raced the z440 with my ex it beat me almost everytime and I have a pipe and filter with jetting and the z400 was bone stock. This was in the dunes too. The only thing that I could clearly see was better on the ex than the z400 was the EX's suspension. The ex could handle whoops alot better and faster than the z400. Also watercooled is the way to go, if it wasnt all the other decent bikes would be aircooled. I say go with the z400, it is a hopped up ex with water cooling and reverse. Then if you need suspension you can do what all the guys with ex's do and get some new shocks and a-arms and have an awesome bike

Thomas

zroost
03-21-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Derno24
Man you guys are killing me. I won't even go into the mine is better than yours. Both machines are good and either would be great, but all things being equal price I would go with the Z. Why you might ask? One reason: RESALE VALUE. If and when Honda comes out with their new bikes the value of a 400 ex won't be anywhere near what the Z will be. Just a nugget for when trading in. Everyone enjoy their riding day :D Agree with this statement.... Steve-o, I know you are true blue honda and that is great but come-on evry quad has its flaws and each one has its own touch...Stop bashing the Z... You met me and I guess you would say I was old compared to you..So as for reverse it is awesome to have and yes i could pick up your machine to spin it around but get with the times...reverse makes it easier...dont u agree? and we are still on for a race a tower city right...z versus the ex........oh no

QuadTrix6
03-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by zroost
Agree with this statement.... Steve-o, I know you are true blue honda and that is great but come-on evry quad has its flaws and each one has its own touch...Stop bashing the Z... You met me and I guess you would say I was old compared to you..So as for reverse it is awesome to have and yes i could pick up your machine to spin it around but get with the times...reverse makes it easier...dont u agree? and we are still on for a race a tower city right...z versus the ex........oh no \

im lost where does he bash the Z it seems like hes bashing the 400 :huh :huh :confused:

Steve-o 400EX
03-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Agree with this statement.... Steve-o, I know you are true blue honda and that is great but come-on evry quad has its flaws and each one has its own touch...Stop bashing the Z... You met me and I guess you would say I was old compared to you..So as for reverse it is awesome to have and yes i could pick up your machine to spin it around but get with the times...reverse makes it easier...dont u agree? and we are still on for a race a tower city right...z versus the ex........oh no

LOL. Yea they both have their stong points. And yea I am all about Honda's. I just like the ex's better. Personal preference is all. I nver needed reverse befor so I dunno. Whenever i park mine in my garage I just hammer the gas and whip it around and I do the same on the trails, i just never had a use for reverse with any of the machines I've owned. I was waitin for u to show up and post somethin lol.

zroost
03-21-2003, 11:37 AM
You know I was going to show up....Did your buddie get his 400 yet? You should come up here where we ride and you will find yourself in need of reverse once in awhile...anyway keep safe and you know everytime the z gets bashed I will be around lol

RED121572
03-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Id hate to say this here, but I would consider the Z. The suspension is so much better. I finally got to ride a Z last sunday. The pwr doesnt impress me, but the stock suspension is more plush than the Hondas.

Steve-o 400EX
03-21-2003, 12:49 PM
You know I was going to show up....Did your buddie get his 400 yet? You should come up here where we ride and you will find yourself in need of reverse once in awhile...anyway keep safe and you know everytime the z gets bashed I will be around lol

Ha ha, yea my friend bought his 400ex, i guess it was about a month ago. He loves it. We'll probably be goin up to tower within the next couple a weeks with YZROOSTINYA. He is up there a lot, actually he's goin up tomorrow. I still got a little more work to do on my ex before i take her up.

heavy_d
03-22-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
Actually, from what i've read, the 400ex handles just as good, if not a little better than the z400. There is not much more power to the z, speed is prettymuch the same, and the are ugly as hell. The ugly part prettymuch made up my mind when I was buyin a quad.

Z400--------------->29.34hp

400ex------------->25.98hp

Z400--------------->72mph

400ex-------------->68mph

the Z400 is also a few pounds lighter

RAPTORAZ
03-22-2003, 03:16 AM
The Z400 definately is the better buy when you're talking new. However when talking used. The EX is a better buy. You can find them cheaper and all it takes is $300 worth of piston and cam to obliterate a Z400. Speaking of which. If the EX came from the factory with 11.1 compression like the Z does, they would be a dead heat in a drag. All things considered, the Z's motor is just a little hotter than the EX's is from the showroom floor.

hotrodhonda400
03-22-2003, 07:50 AM

the Z400 is also a few pounds lighter 25.9 HP ? where do you get that?:confused:

hotrodhonda400
03-22-2003, 07:56 AM
the last i heard the EX put out 27.5 - 29 hp...:confused: at the rear wheels and 34.4 at the crank:confused:

Steve-o 400EX
03-22-2003, 08:14 AM

the Z400 is also a few pounds lighter

:huh Where the F*** did u get those numbers?? The z numers are correct but the 400ex puts out between 27 and 28hp. Now ur just tryin to downgrade the ex.:rolleyes: This is EXRIDERS.COM, anyone who bashes an ex or R deserves to be flamed big time.:grr

RAPTORAZ, I agree with prettymuch all of what you said. If they upped the ex compression a little, it would be just as quick as the z400.

heavy_d
03-22-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
:huh Where the F*** did u get those numbers?? The z numers are correct but the 400ex puts out between 27 and 28hp. Now ur just tryin to downgrade the ex.:rolleyes: This is EXRIDERS.COM, anyone who bashes an ex or R deserves to be flamed big time.:grr

easy does it Steve-O don't blow an o-ring, got the information right here-------------> http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/quads/2003z400/dyno-report.html

Steve-o 400EX
03-22-2003, 01:16 PM
easy does it Steve-O don't blow an o-ring, got the information right here-------------> http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/quads/2003z400/dyno-report.html

Hmmm, interesting.:ermm:

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Those dynos are wack :ermm:

hotrodhonda400
03-22-2003, 01:32 PM
thats funny on a Z forum who woulda thought:rolleyes:

hotrodhonda400
03-22-2003, 02:44 PM
try this one:ermm: note the blue line is all stock...

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by hotrodhonda400

Thats more like it :)

Steve-o 400EX
03-23-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by hotrodhonda400

Yea, now that sounds right. Good job hotrod honda!!;)

mxstar52
04-20-2003, 02:58 PM
get the 400ex i know many people who have zs and dont ride that agressive and already bent and axle and some bent and cracked frames.

300exjuggalo
04-20-2003, 03:03 PM
ya, im going with 400ex

dmc alien
04-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Hey I am a ride red fan, have not owned anything else other that h-d for the street. My story is one of being a day late. I own a 02 400ex with dmc, jet kit ,k&n. Rode a stock Z400 at a local track and felt that the Z spun to much, same old story, but the tires were worn out. But when it was not spinning boy was it accelerating quicker. I was carrying 5-10mph more on downhill sections. The Z is a much quiker quad, I can only imagine what it will do piped and jetted.

RoadkillerRyan
04-21-2003, 02:16 PM
currently dead even with my vote for the 400ex HONDA RULES

Derno24
04-21-2003, 10:07 PM
I am surprised that the vote is even close being this is a HONDA forum.....

Brad
04-22-2003, 12:21 AM
i actually said the z400 because i love the new graphics kit alba just came out for it its ice blue and an ice blue seat

also if your gonna buy new a z400 really does offer more right now

but if you already have a 400 and looking to get another id say to wait until our friends over at honda make a new better quad than the rest

chucked
04-24-2003, 11:20 AM
dude i had the same problem, this is what i thought about to make me say 400ex. Yea the z400 has the reverse, liquid cooled, little bit faster. But go look on ebay and see how much stuff there is for a z400 then a 400ex. right now theres 300 things for the z and 974 for the 400ex. Theyre a prooven bike. and would it be cooler to be on a z and beat a 400ex or be on a 400ex and beat a z when everyone knows that the z is faster. You can do what you want with each bike to make it do stuff. go to www.z400central.com and look at all the broken/cracked/bent frames and bent axles on the z400. the 400ex has been around and is a well prooven bike. Its cheaper to get and use and if you break something you can get what you need fast and cheap.

mxstar52
04-24-2003, 02:38 PM
also if u really..if u look at it this way i got my 03 400ex for $4700 OTD and a Z woulda been $5811 OTD if u put the money that would make it the same cost as a z into the 400ex ull blow a z away and stil be more reliable :D

300exryder
04-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Why get an outdated EX?? The Z is new, utilizes the latest technology, has more power, has liquid cooling, has reverse, and does not need to be "modded" to keep up with a 400EX. The resale value is much better than that of the Z. IMO the Z is better than the EX. This opinion is coming from somone who regularly rides EX's and Z's, the KFX 700 and owns a Raptor.

Steve-o 400EX
04-25-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by chucked
dude i had the same problem, this is what i thought about to make me say 400ex. Yea the z400 has the reverse, liquid cooled, little bit faster. But go look on ebay and see how much stuff there is for a z400 then a 400ex. right now theres 300 things for the z and 974 for the 400ex. Theyre a prooven bike. and would it be cooler to be on a z and beat a 400ex or be on a 400ex and beat a z when everyone knows that the z is faster. You can do what you want with each bike to make it do stuff. go to www.z400central.com and look at all the broken/cracked/bent frames and bent axles on the z400. the 400ex has been around and is a well prooven bike. Its cheaper to get and use and if you break something you can get what you need fast and cheap.

I totally agree with ya. That is the exact same conclusion I cam to when I made the choice to get the EX. Not to mention the 400ex looks way sweeter than a Z. The Z is just the new flavor of the year, just as the 400ex was when it came out, and same as the raptor when it came out. All I'm sayin was had this choice to make too and I know I made the right one by goin with the ex. I do not need nor want liquid cooling or reverse. Two things that I would either break or consider an extra hassle. There is a choice to be made and I hope you make the right one.

Only an old man needs reverse, or a very unskilled rider. And as for the ex being out dated, please tell me how, just because it has an aircooled sohc engine. In my book thats called less to go wrong. Liquid cooling has been around for years, look at the r's and the banshee's, back in the 80's they had liquid cooling and the ex has been since 99, so i dont think its out dated. Honda chose not to use liquid cooling for a reason, it doesnt need it and reliability.

Thats all I got to say on the subject.

Max400
04-25-2003, 05:00 AM
just wait till Honda comes out with their new quad and watch the resale value of the Z to drop just as the ex will, all that said the Z might be the flavor of the day but Honda is still far superior quality machine tried and tested over the years thats why Suzuki copied the honda.

RIDE RED OR STAY IN BED:D :D :D :D

YLW400
04-25-2003, 05:18 AM
I personally think if he wants to run MX....get a EX...If you play around in the yard and woods etc...get the Z400. Thats jusy my opinion. i have a 400EX and have absoutely NO regrets buying it at all. I like smokin the Z's on the track as much as I do Raptors :eek: :D

MIKE400EX
04-25-2003, 05:37 AM
Steve-o 400EX
"Only an old man needs reverse, or a very unskilled rider.":huh :eek2: :eek2:

cook
04-25-2003, 09:03 AM
If you go new i would say get a Z but why not buy a used 400ex right now? They are selling really cheap. Buy a used 400 then when honda comes out with something new get that.

mxstar52
04-25-2003, 01:02 PM
U shouldnt be riding anything if ya cant get yur *** off the quad and turn it around.just my opinion .the only thing id have too complain about my ex is the stock swingarm skid..it sucks i gotta get a new aftermarket one.

Derno24
04-25-2003, 07:29 PM
are we still discussing this......YYYYAAAAWWWWWWNNNN!!!!!:o :o :o

Castor-426ex
04-25-2003, 07:43 PM
derno answer your pm
:eek2:

Steve-o 400EX
04-28-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by mxstar52
U shouldnt be riding anything if ya cant get yur *** off the quad and turn it around.just my opinion .the only thing id have too complain about my ex is the stock swingarm skid..it sucks i gotta get a new aftermarket one.

For real, thats what I'm sayin. I dont think liquid cooling is all its cracked up to be either.