PDA

View Full Version : electric start for 250r

jamiesel
03-18-2003, 08:05 PM
Among all the mods for a 250r, I have not seen anyone make a very usable and obvious addition. An electric start.

I am 240 lp so I can start pretty much any bike easy but wouldn't it be nice to have r's for our wives to instead of z400's.

Has anyone ever heard of one of these?

CHAUNCY
03-19-2003, 03:39 AM
Ive never heard of one. It would make it heaver but if you were not concerned about wright I guess it would be a good thing.

airheadedduner
03-19-2003, 05:38 AM
I have seen lots of women that have R's, and they start them themselfs. And no they are not 400lb she-males:eek: :huh

Packered Enterprises had a wild set up on one of there bikes. It was a 521R that had so much compression(some 15:1:eek2: ) that you couldn't kick start it. So they had a custom stator cover and stator. They had a hole in the stator cover so they could put an impact on it and turn it over to start it.

kwatts400
03-19-2003, 05:51 AM
R's are easy enough to start. My thoughts always have been if you can't start it, you probably shouldn't be riding it. Just my opinion though.

tants
03-19-2003, 08:00 AM
the kickstart makes the 250r even more manly. even tho i hate those winter days... i would never put a elc. start on my R

jamiesel
03-19-2003, 09:08 AM
ok... I need to come clean with you guys. I just bought a 350 pv and I just kicked it like my ol 250 lrd port and half hearted kicks don't fly (particularly with tennis shoes) and I think I broke my foot when it kicked back:eek2:

Chanman420q
03-19-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by tants
the kickstart makes the 250r even more manly. even tho i hate those winter days... i would never put a elc. start on my R

i hate elec start on winter days... id much rather have kick

wilkin250r
03-19-2003, 09:20 AM
An electric start is not some easy, add-on feature you can sell in a package. You can do what airheadedduner described and have a custom cover built that you can put some sort of starter motor against it to turn it over. Then you'd have to carry the starter with you in case it ever dies, which would be a real pain, and that solution doesn't really make it easier, especially for a girl.

OR (to save on postage) you can machine a whole new case to accept a starter motor, and a whole new crank so that you can attach a new flywheel for the starter to turn, and add a battery, which will change the whole electrical system... ect,ect...

I don't think it's realistic.

lex luger
03-19-2003, 09:24 AM
weight has nothing to do, i know a kid that coulda kick over my old 350x, and he weighted damn near 250lbs

why would you want elec. start anyways?

Chanman420q
03-19-2003, 09:29 AM
elec start is nice in the summer.... i like it.. not that its hard to JUST kick it over, but elec is nice to have, just another feature, the only draw back is if ur battery dies.. thats why i dont like it in tyhe winter time

insane250Racer
03-20-2003, 04:40 AM
yea shes not a 400 lb she male

Str8Wicked
03-20-2003, 05:08 AM
I've ridden my friends R's and I only weigh 150... Never had a problem getting one started...

AndrewRRR
03-20-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by jamiesel
ok... I need to come clean with you guys. I just bought a 350 pv and I just kicked it like my ol 250 lrd port and half hearted kicks don't fly (particularly with tennis shoes) and I think I broke my foot when it kicked back:eek2:

That happened to me with my 350r a few times. I learned the hard way not to kick a motor like that over without riding boots on. The first time, it sprained my ankle and I couldn't walk for 2 days. The second time I was limping for a day and had to ride my friend's banshee and blaster cuz I couldn't kick my R again. Gotta watch out with big bore strokers and gobs of compression, short kick them and they'll make you pay. I am thinking of going to the next size dome down in my coolhead sometime soon which requires alcohol. Hmm.. maybe i'll need to get a bionic leg ;)