PDA

View Full Version : perfect sand set up for 400ex

racershaun
03-18-2003, 04:29 PM
I have found a great setup for the 400ex in the sand, if you like to hill climb. I use 22 inch taller haulers, on 8 inch wheels with tubes front and rear. Dyno box, jet kit, 45 pilot, 170 main, no lid, kn filter, advance timing, no choke. I also run full pipe system(curtis sparks), but not nessary. With this setup it is first gear only, and for the steep technical hills in the nothwest, such as sand lake or winchester bay it works awesome. I am constantly ask if my bike is a 440. My friends and I have traded in our banshes for 400exs and have so much more fun.

CHAUNCY
03-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Do you have a stock 400ex ???
Got any pics of it or the climbs ???

racershaun
03-18-2003, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHAUNCY
[B]Do you have a stock 400ex ???
Got any pics of it or the climbs ??? The bike is completly stock other than the the mods I have mentioned. The hill climbs are steep and in some cases tight with trees we have to weeve through. And during this time of year the sand is wet and rutted out, so it is best to run the smallest rear spocket possible so it doesnt eat sand and skip. And using first gear only enables us to keep high revs to the top, and I can practically stop in the hill and get going again. Sorry no pics, I will work on that.

CHAUNCY
03-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Sounds like fun. Oregon dunes look awesome how they have the tree climbs and idiot holes.

ThorChick
03-18-2003, 08:39 PM
racershaun ~ Where from in Oregon?

QuadJunkies
03-20-2003, 07:00 PM
wow.. this is the first time I have heard of taller haulers working well on a 400ex..I am anxious to see what that new paddle that was inthe new ATVsport mag is all about..:huh MAxxis has put out one crazy lookin paddle,have you all seen the pic of it?

CHAUNCY
03-21-2003, 03:29 AM
nope, you got a pic of it QJ ?

QuadJunkies
03-21-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY
nope, you got a pic of it QJ ? Ill take a pic of it from the mag..thats about all I can do brb.......;)

QuadJunkies
03-21-2003, 04:21 AM
here ya go....sorry, but thid id the biggest I could get this pic

QuadJunkies
03-21-2003, 04:21 AM
another.....

QuadJunkies
03-21-2003, 04:22 AM
they dont mention a price yet that I remeber seeing and the website didnt talk about it either.. I wish I knoew something about them performance wise...

spud400ex
03-21-2003, 04:29 AM
quadjunkies the article says they are skat-trak not maxxis.

QuadJunkies
03-21-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by spud400ex
quadjunkies the article says they are skat-trak not maxxis. holy cow I did put that didnt I... hehe I was just on here looking at maxxis tires so I got them mixed up when posting Sorry guys... another blonde moment here...:o So any of you heard about these yet?

Merriman
03-21-2003, 05:52 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't run paddles in the dunes? We've got practically bone stock 400ex's and we can go anywhere, and do anything on stock tires. I just picked up a 99 400ex for 2500.00 bucks, with a curtis sparks exhaust and 39mm carb with a K&N. My cousin (when we are out at Gordon's well sand dunes) borrow's my 75 year old grandma's 400ex(yes she is 75) and it is absolutely bone stock, and we race them all day long doing everything and we beat most riders. I think dune riding depends more on your ability, not how the quad is setup(although your ability is improved by better bikes). To further my point half my family doesn't run paddles, just the high powered 2 strokes, and dirt bikes. My uncle that used to race for team honda back in the ATC days runs original 250SX tires on his atc 250R. We've taken a bone stock Honda Rincon up Patton's Valley, and Test hill in reverse on the stock knobbies. So I think money could be beter pent else where than running with the crowd and paddle tires unless your a high powered quad with alot of wheel spin.

My 2 cents.

rhandw69
03-21-2003, 05:56 AM
Ive thought about going to a taller tire. I currently run 20" x 10" x 8"s.
Im not sure if i need to or not, i think where the taller tire can be a benefit is in the rutted up tree holes where it may keep the swingarm from highcentering or the frame.

QuadJunkies
03-21-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Merriman
Am I the only one that doesn't run paddles in the dunes? We've got practically bone stock 400ex's and we can go anywhere, and do anything on stock tires. I just picked up a 99 400ex for 2500.00 bucks, with a curtis sparks exhaust and 39mm carb with a K&N. My cousin (when we are out at Gordon's well sand dunes) borrow's my 75 year old grandma's 400ex(yes she is 75) and it is absolutely bone stock, and we race them all day long doing everything and we beat most riders. I think dune riding depends more on your ability, not how the quad is setup(although your ability is improved by better bikes). To further my point half my family doesn't run paddles, just the high powered 2 strokes, and dirt bikes. My uncle that used to race for team honda back in the ATC days runs original 250SX tires on his atc 250R. We've taken a bone stock Honda Rincon up Patton's Valley, and Test hill in reverse on the stock knobbies. So I think money could be beter pent else where than running with the crowd and paddle tires unless your a high powered quad with alot of wheel spin.

My 2 cents. well. we do run our stock too.depends on the type of sand and terrain..where do you live? I can guarentee some of the place you go here stock would be a big challlenge even for the best riders..We love the stock for play and we even run them up Thunder mnt. can get up it fine but for the BIGGER steeper stuff, we need more hook up and thats when the paddles come in handy..;) it had ALOT to do with rider too,your absolutlely right on that one:)