PDA

View Full Version : dirtbike?

tbrackman84
08-24-2013, 09:25 PM
hHey all, I want to get some advice. Now I know this forum is for "ATV riders", but i want to ask you guys about dirtbikes, because I always get good advice on here. Long story short: I started riding a PW80 when i was 6, got a CR85, then rode a honda recon for a while, then RM100. Now I ride a 400ex which i love. Ive been away form home for about 7 months and havent really ridden too much in that time period. I am finally finding the time to go again now, althogh my EX is in the shop with a few minor problems. Now I kind of want to get myself a bike, but i'm having a hard time deciding between a 2 stroke or 4 stroke, and I want to see what kind of input i get on here. Also, i'm a honda guy, so it'll more than likely be a Honda, possibly a KTM xc bike! thanks!

wickestangwv
08-25-2013, 12:13 AM
250 4 stroke of your choice KTM's are Nice I personally ride a Kawi. What kind of riding will you be doing with it? That would also help with my decision. If I was riding trails I would get a 2 stroke if it was riding mx I would get a 2 stroke. I weight about 180 and I have a 250 and couldn't be happier with it.

buck440
08-25-2013, 03:48 AM
my vote is 2 stroke unless you got enough $ for a new kawi 450. 01+cr250r can be had for $1,500 or maby trade...don't forget to run KLOTZ!!!

quad2xtreme
08-25-2013, 09:09 AM
I would look at the KTM 200 XC-W. It is an enduro bike with both kick and electric start. Electric start as an option is so nice in the woods. :) KTM focused on giving this 2 stroke more low end torque. I'd also look at the 250 XC-W and the 300 XC-W...both of these are 2 strokes too. The main advantage of 2 strokes is they are just simpler than today's 4 strokes. I am guessing carbs will last about 2 more years on 2 strokes and then they will be EFI. A recent magazine article led me to believe Honda was looking at releasing an EFI 2 stroke soon and that KTM already has one but hasn't released it.

You can't go wrong with a Yamaha 250 2 stroke.

My Honda 2010 CRF250R engine seized with 50 hours on it when I was on a riding trip with buddies. So I immediately picked up a 2013 Honda CRF450R and couldn't be happier with it both in the trails and the track. It is actually much easier to ride in the woods because it has more power. Because your brain is programmed for riding with a twist at a young age, you will adapt back to twist no issue. I am an old man (turning 49) so it took me 40 hours of engine time to really be comfortable with a twist. Now that I am, I have tennis elbow (inflammation of the tendons and micro tears). I may be forced to go back to a thumb throttle. :(

muddy400EX
08-28-2013, 06:44 PM
ktm 2 strokes are the shizzy. i had a 200xcw, they lug to a crawl in tight stuff, but they will scream if u want it too. sweet bikes!