PDA

View Full Version : Can you buy a master link for 400ex chain?

Ty's400
03-18-2003, 02:18 PM
I was wondering if you can buy a master link to put in the stock 400ex chain. If so where from and how much? thanks

CBW
03-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Yes,,,,,,,,,the easiest place i would think is your local honda dealer. they run about $5 or something. you will obviously need to break a link out of the chain to install the master link.....but you probably already know that;)

Ty's400
03-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Hey thanks alot CBW. I figured you could but I wasn't sure and I wasn't sure on the price. I just don't get why they didn't put one on it orginally. engineers these days!...haha thanks again

remlapr
03-19-2003, 01:41 PM
Since someone started a thread on chains - where can I get a good chain breaker on-line?

Razorback
03-19-2003, 02:07 PM
i got one from bobscycle.com that is just like the motion pro, but much cheaper. been very happy with it. if you have time, check C&D, but if not, i highly recommend bobs. i've had very good experiences with them.

toby400ex
03-19-2003, 02:14 PM
i usually just grind off the end of the pins then take a flat head screwdriver to it and pop off the side plate then put the masterlink in. Dont need no stinking chain breaker.:D

Ty's400
03-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Can a chain breaker break the stock chain, even though it has no master link. thanks

zfire_28
03-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Ty's400
Can a chain breaker break the stock chain, even though it has no master link. thanks

Yes, that is what they are made to do. I agree with toby though, you don't need a chain breaker if you got a grinder, or even a dremmel works great (shortened a chain with one today as matter fact) anyways Dennis Kirk sells them.;)

Razorback
03-20-2003, 11:25 PM
Trust me, a chain breaker comes in handy when you're racing or camping and have no access to electricity and a grinder :rolleyes:

Ex'r Marlin
03-21-2003, 05:28 AM
Question: Why would you want to put a master link on your stock chain? I guess if you wanted to take it off periodically to clean it, then it might come in handy.

I happen to use a Motion Pro chain breaker. I have to use a large crescent (adjustable) wrench to rotate the tool that removes the pin. It has been working great for me. Note: I did misplace my chain breaker one time and used a Dremel tool with a cutting disc on it... Worked well to remove the old stock chain off the atv, but I never removed pins from the stock chain using the Dremel. I would think it could be done, just time consuming, right?

Like Razorback said, "a chain breaker comes in handy".:)

BTW... I think they made the stock chain without a master link to reduce cost of the chain. But I have to agree, it makes it difficult to remove from your atv.:grr

zfire_28
03-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin
just time consuming, right?

It took less than 10 minutes to grind the pins down flush. The Dremmel was all I had at the time.;)