PDA

View Full Version : Would like opinions on youth quads

quadmx21
08-21-2013, 12:06 PM
My son has been riding a DRR couple years now and it does a good job. Motor work, suspension, and etc etc has been done to it. With winter break coming I have been thinking about different options. Either we will completely freshen this quad up and ride it another season or I've thought about getting a kymco and setting it up. Biggest reason for that is I'm a big 4 stroke fan. Has anyone else set a kymco up for MX, have they been happy with it? What kind of results are they getting with it. Or do some people think it would be better just to stick with the DRR? Would appreciate any input or opinions, thanks.

quadmx21
08-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Or what about pitster pros?

Logan #34's Dad
08-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Okay, I've done the whole Kymco thing...You will spend a fortune getting it to 125cc and it will never keep up with these new 2 strokes. Then you'll have to find someone to make you a-arms, custom shocks, ect....
The question is: what class do you plan to run and MX or XC? How old is your rider?
The only 4 stroke that can "kinda" keep up is a Honda....BUT to build one of those will cost ya too. Cheaper to buy one already built.
IF your determined to try the 4 stroke cvt Kymco....call Gary Rozelle (quadnana) he has one already built for sale.

quadmx21
08-22-2013, 05:55 AM
My boy just turned 10 and he races MX. If i go with the 4 stroke i was going to put him in the 90 class and if i stay with 2 stroke ill keep him in 70 class one more year. his riding abilities are right there where he could go either way. Im trying to do a lot of research before i decide, i personally like the 4 stroke but i also dont want him riding out there with no chance of winning. Thanks for the info and i think ill contact Gary that has one for sale also just to check it out, would you know his number by chance?

Logan #34's Dad
08-22-2013, 12:46 PM
I sent Gary a text to view this thread...
The one he has is about maxxed out as far as what can be done to a Kymco.

quadnana7
08-22-2013, 07:43 PM
I sent Gary a text to view this thread...
The one he has is about maxxed out as far as what can be done to a Kymco.

call Gary at 931-260-0361

LT80
08-23-2013, 06:45 AM
I agree w/rocky, it'll never compete.
It's a fine machine and it used to be able to keep up and win.

oscarmayer
08-23-2013, 01:08 PM
one BIG factor that everyone here is forgetting to mention, the 2stroke motors require rebuild every 2-3 race/practice events and they are very expensive to get a competitive motor. i know people whom have spent upwards of $3500 on just a motor.
i still recommend visiting the pitster pro line. a good build 90cc or125cc can last you a full season and if you wanted a spare, you can get a decent spare for under $800 built.
I race custom modified xtreme typhoons myself that have been modded to the hilt and back. we run a 125cc engine in ours and we go through about 3 engiens a season. mainly because my son seems to not understand the concept of shifting well yet. LOL (goes from 3rd to first on a big hill and then it does a manual over-rev causing floating valves in the piston. ouch!!!
once we had a flywheel nut loosen and it caused the key way to wobble out where the crank got trashed. but that's it.
anyway, think about it. look at what you are trying to accomplish and your budgets are. sure DRR/apex stuff are faster in most areas, but at the cost they spend how long can you afford to keep running them? average budget to race a drr/apex for a season is $10k in maintenance w/o the initial bike purchase and setup.

I have been toying with the idea of taking a roller and making mounts to run a 4stroke engine in a drr/apex frame. then that would give the best of both worlds! i will keep ya posted on that if ya want.

quadpoppy7
08-23-2013, 06:12 PM
quadmx21
We have owned all 3 of the quads and all 3 are good. First thing is keep the 70. if your son is 10 he can race it for two more years if you would like at the ATVMX National series. Rocky and LT80 are right about the Kymco not competitive in the 90 cvt class since the fa2st motors have been dialed in over the past couple years. The Kymco won the 90 CVT class in 08 when Skvarek raced it and the fa2st engines first came here to the U.S. If you are racing ATVMX the Kymco would make a great 2nd quad and has the potential to win the 4-stroke 125 class. It was at Loretta's 2 weeks ago and was one of the first few quads around the first turn with the Honda's Yamaha's and Pitster. Unfortunately, the ignition got wet in the deep water and lost spark. I will be selling the Kymco low enough that you may be able to race both if you would like. The biggest expense is getting to the races and getting in. IMO the Kymco would make a great quad to race a second class.

skyeryder
08-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Either keep the DRR or build a shifter mod type quad believe it or not it's the cheapest route long term. In my opinion at 10 or even before they need to be shifting.
If you look around enough you can find a roller Cobra for around $2000 and get you a cr or rm motor to throw in it and go go go. Now if he's a big 10 year old look for a JB frame or something similar.
Those four strokes are fun but if any 2-stroke 90's show up your in trouble

bigdaddy77
08-23-2013, 10:02 PM
We have both of Quadpoppies PitsterPro Quads. One is a Pitster 4 stroke motor with a Takegawa. Super R2 head also have a 4 valve back up motor. It ran very competitivly in the 125 four stroke Jr class at nationals. 2 4th place finishes and a 8th at Lorettas due to a dnf in first moto. Mainly because I failed to water proof the electronics. Pulled the hole shot second moto at wildcat. Any How we also converted one to a mod with a cr motor. Our lap times are similar but that is due to my 9 yearold lack of experience with 2 stroke motors.we also have ATV Foreplay suspension on both which I feel helps tremendously. Elka shocks on the stock suspension may not be a bad setup either. I Just know the Pitsters stock shocks are way too stiff and not worth trying to rebuild.the reason I made the one a 90 mod instead of buying a Fischer or JB or Roberts is because I felt it would be easier to make the transition back and forth between the 2 quads on similar chassis. Hands down with seat time the mod will smoke the four stroke. Go to the Atva Mx website and pull up lap times between the 90 mod and 125 class. Several kids like us ran both and see How much faster the mods are.
Also the CVT quads are limited with suspension. Watch some of the quad father videos and you will see what I mean. Good luck with what ever direction you go. None of it is cheap, but it sure is fun.

quadmx21
08-27-2013, 06:33 AM
Thanks for all the opinions and info,for now we will stick with the DRR 70 another year. Im going to purchase another one so we can have practice and race quad, if anyone has a 70 for sale please let me know. Thanks.

bigdaddy77
08-27-2013, 07:52 AM
You might want to think about picking up a shifter quad for your practice quad. Unless your planning on keeping him on a CVT till he is 15. It's never to early to get them on the ole manual clutch. Yes it has cost us races and can be frustrating watching a 9 year old who is shifting try to run down a 13 year old on a CVT but. It is also the best thing for the kids in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

MOTORIDER68
08-30-2013, 11:51 PM
This has been a great thread to read. My son is 6 and we r just starting to look into the mod market. Thanks for all the useful insight.

exhausted
09-18-2013, 12:07 PM
My son loves his Raptor 125. It is still just a stock motor with jetting, full exhaust and lightened flywheel. New ported head, cam, and 13-1 piston are on the way though. Currently its only about 10hp and he's still able to podium at every district 90cc youth race. Hopefully he'll be able to hang with the faster DRR's with the new parts. They are supposed to bring him up to about 17-18hp.

Here are a few videos from last weekends race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydjay8ZivQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGJMJzA3Fhs

Helmet cam of 1st 2 laps moto 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--CtE9FU5lc

Moto 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AKxTfC-Oiw