PDA

View Full Version : HD studs

murph812a
08-21-2013, 08:16 AM
I pulled 2 studs in a few months ago and did a little research and found the gt thunder studs were the best thing for the situation I was in. Last night started putting the top end back together, while I was putting the head on I squished one of the dowels. There is no salvaging it, should I order a new one or because the stud diameter islarger than stock would it be OK to run without it? Thanks

Stickman400
08-21-2013, 01:17 PM
I'd err on the safe side and get a new one. You only have 2 of those dowels that locate your head and if you only have 1 in there it won't center properly when you tighten the bolts and it'll leak, among other things.

HondaRacing83
08-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Not to jack the thread but will i need hd studs for an 11:1 416 build?

Stickman400
08-21-2013, 01:27 PM
You don't NEED them, but they won't hurt if you plan on boring bigger later on or bumping the compression. I don't have them in mine and I haven't had any issues yet. I have them sitting on my bench though if they do decide to let go.

cheater13
08-21-2013, 02:53 PM
I have stock bore, but a lot of other work done and this is the 2nd time I snapped atleast 1 headstud. Last time I snapped two and redid it with stock studs.

My next thing on my list is to ship the head out and get them installed. But I'm still running mine with the one snapped and it isn't leaking yet. :p